Identify yourself as a LCH holder or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have heard so many different accounts as to how an officer running your name/plate/ drivers license # will or will not result in them being notified of your being issued a LTCH.

I do recall an incident mere months ago that went something like this,

I'm readying myself for work one day when my cell phone rings. It's my local city police department. There's been another deer/car collision, and since I'm on the "road-kill" list, it was my turn.
    I showed up to the scene of the accident and found the officer's cruiser. I approached and handed him my drivers license for I.D. so he could fill out the required "permit to possess deer".
    I loaded the deer on my trailer and returned to the cruiser to get my license and permit to possess.
    When he rolled down his window, the officer handed my paperwork out the window, but he didn't let go of it. He held on tight when I went to take it. I looked him in the eye and he looked at me very seriously. He then stated, "I see you have a license to carry a handgun."
    I said , "Yes, sir. I do."
    He then asked, "Do you have a firearm on you now?"

I wasn't sure where this was going, but I'd done nothing wrong. I answered, "Yes sir, I do. I have a .357 magnum in my belt-line."

MUCH to my surprise, the officer's response was,
    "GOOD! I get SO pissed off when I see people that took the time and trouble to get a license but then never carry!. I'm just glad to find someone with some sense."

We then spent the next 25 minutes or so shooting the breeze as it were, about sidearms, hunting whitetail, collecting firearms, and all the pro-firearms and 2nd amendment bumper stickers plastered all over my truck.

All-in-all it was an enjoyable encounter. I got to converse with a like soul about something that interests me greatly. I got to "help out the community" by "disposing" of a carcass that was unwanted in the road, and to top it all off, I got 140 lbs of venison to put in my freezer for free! ;)

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, could you please show the IC they would charge you with if you lied?

35-44.1-2-3 false reporting. You can be arrested for lying to a police officer. You can always choose not to answer the question at all. You always have that right.

I can tell you from experience I and many other officers i worked with are much more likely to give someone a warning if they were open and honest about a firearm in their possession. It shows integrity and an appreciation for officer safety.

bartb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Last time I was pulled over in Greenwood I handed the officer my DL, LTCH, and registration. He asked that I leave my gun where it was and keep my hands on the wheel. Then went back to his car for a long period. When he came back, he handed me my DL, LTCH and registration back and told me to slow down.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    35-44.1-2-3 false reporting. You can be arrested for lying to a police officer. You can always choose not to answer the question at all. You always have that right.

I can tell you from experience I and many other officers i worked with are much more likely to give someone a warning if they were open and honest about a firearm in their possession. It shows integrity and an appreciation for officer safety.
    How does me telling you I have a firearm tell you I have integrity or effect officer safety?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I never inform unless it will be seen. This is half out of respect for someone with a dangerous job and half my own desire not to be shot.

Example:

The only time I've informed the officer was when I had my .380 BUG in the glovebox sitting directly on top of my registration. I told the officer it was there and gave him the option to personally retrieve my registration so he didn't think I was going for the gun. The following confiscation, unloading and disassembly of my .380 coupled with making sure I was legal and my gun wasn't stolen added 25 minutes to what should have been a quick stop and warning/ticket. I guess the officer felt safer this way, and the holstered Glock on my hip made sure I felt the same.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Don't think that's the one, that's about official misconduct from public servants...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How does me telling you I have a firearm tell you I have integrity or effect officer safety?

The last time I was pulled over, the officer made a big show of how much he respects the rights of lawful gun owners and went on and on about how he appreciates my rights as an American. He did all of this right after completing his fishing expedition after inventing a reason to pull me over. He was looking for DUI's and when it was obvious that I had not been drinking, he graciously let me off with a warning instead of a citation for the made-up reason he stopped me.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Or maybe he'll seize your firearm, empty it and its magazine and disassemble it for you. All after running it through the system to see if you're a thief that he can arrest. Not worth the hassle.

Possible. We can play hypothetical all you want, i have a NRA sticker on my window, say he doesnt notice when he first walks up, sees on the way back from running my info.

Then he asks, gets ticked I didnt mention it.

I still end up with it in the back seat plus a traffic ticket as there's no way Im getting just a warning now.

Contrary to popular opinion, I give the police the benefit of the doubt. I would do it as a simple courtesy because if I was a cop, i would like to know whats in the vehicle.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Possible. We can play hypothetical all you want, i have a NRA sticker on my window, say he doesnt notice when he first walks up, sees on the way back from running my info.

Then he asks, gets ticked I didnt mention it.

I still end up with it in the back seat plus a traffic ticket as there's no way Im getting just a warning now.

Contrary to popular opinion, I give the police the benefit of the doubt. I would do it as a simple courtesy because if I was a cop, i would like to know whats in the vehicle.
    Problem is that it's not a hypothetical. It's happened to INGO members quite a few times over the years. I don't care about officer safety or how he feels. All I care about is getting on with my business with the least amount of harassment. I also don't need officer jackwad shooting himself with my unfamiliar weapon. You would lose it if he managed to pop himself. Lots of cops out there don't know squat about guns, other than the one on their hip. Not worth the risk.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana

Because its a high stress job. traffic stops are dangerous for cops. they dont like unexpected problems, like seeing guns. Believe it or not criminals carry guns too. the officer doesnt have a clue who you are or your intentions. best to show them ahead of times your intent. telling them ahead of time says your not trying to hide anything.

Do what what you want on a traffic stop. Its your right not to say a damn thing. I'm just telling you my experience. And I'll bet I have a lot more experience at stopping cars than you. And people hiding guns in their car and not knowing if they are law abiding citizens or some guy that just robbed a convenience store.

And as I said it helps in getting out of a ticket. I always respected law abiding citizens that were upfront with me.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If I don't keep my registration stuffed up in the magwell, or somewhere else that he is going to see the gun as I get my registration, then the officer has no need to know what I'm packing.

If he's going to see it somehow anyway, then obviously I inform. But if the gun is not in any way relevant, and won't be involved in the encounter, then I like to keep it that way.

In other states, if you aren't sure of the legality, you should play it safe and inform from the get-go. Obviously a better option would be to know from the start.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    best to show them ahead of times your intent. telling them ahead of time says your not trying to hide anything.

You can thank Officer Daniel Harless of the Canton, OH PD as the reason I will never EVER inform unless required to do so. I'd rather just take the ticket than risk having my head blown off by a cop on the edge.

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I don't care about officer safety or how he feels. .

I do, guess thats where we differ. I dont begrudge those who don't tell, it's indiana, you dont have to.

But, it's been a long time since I've been pulled over and I care about my gas mileage way too much to speed. So I'll probably never have to worry about it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The Boone County Sherif told me in class that if you're ever pulled over, why would you ever give out any more info than what you need to?

Based on his recommendations, I'll only admit it if I'm asked.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    IMHO, I think being honest up front would be the best thing to do. if he sees you are packing, he doesn't know you are law abiding or not. put yourself in his shoes, would you want to be surprised to see a gun, or would you rather be informed up front? I guess im rather"jaded" though, my father-in-law, a retired LEO, has told me its best to be honest up front. so for me, that is what I will do. you have to make up your own mind, its like choosing to carry in the first place, its not for everybody.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    IMHO, I think being honest up front would be the best thing to do. if he sees you are packing, he doesn't know you are law abiding or not. put yourself in his shoes, would you want to be surprised to see a gun, or would you rather be informed up front? I guess im rather"jaded" though, my father-in-law, a retired LEO, has told me its best to be honest up front. so for me, that is what I will do. you have to make up your own mind, its like choosing to carry in the first place, its not for everybody.
    They could just stop pulling us over to check our "Papers", by that I mean, tail light, headlight, license plate light, 3MPH over and other stupid ****.

Top Bottom