Identify yourself as a LCH holder or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Talking with my dad and he seems to think only identify yourself as a gun permit holder if your ASKED if your carrying a weapon. I was always told to put hands out window and tell the officer first thing that I am carrying a weapon. In the case that you are pulled over. What's the right answer

A. Tell them your packing

B. wait until you are asked and then tel, them. Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Indiana has no requirement to notify. You are NOT required to offer that information.

If you are asked, you MUST tell them the truth, or be subject to charges.

Ohio is a different story. If you get pulled over in Ohio, the FIRST thing out of your mouth had better be, "Sir, I want to make you aware that I am a license to carry a firearm holder and I have a firearm in my possession."

Best to know the laws applicable to your specific location.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good question, I agree with your old man. Does anyone know if your LTCH is connected to your license? For example, if you are pulled over for a traffic violation in IN, does the system notify the officer that you are a permit holder? If so, I would'nt think there would be a need, they are already informed.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Wait until asked - or - inform if the weapon will become visible for some reason.

That's what the Sheriff department in Gannett County, Georgia taught when I took a firearms class from them. They basically said there's no reason to escalate the encounter if you don't need to. The officer, as one might expect, knowing you have a weapon approaches things differently.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good question, I agree with your old man. Does anyone know if your LTCH is connected to your license? For example, if you are pulled over for a traffic violation in IN, does the system notify the officer that you are a permit holder? If so, I would'nt think there would be a need, they are already informed.

If/when I'm pulled over, I simply hand the officer both I.D.'s, my drivers license and my LTCH. They know at a glance what it is, and it is basically a default notification.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If/when I'm pulled over, I simply hand the officer both I.D.'s, my drivers license and my LTCH. They know at a glance what it is, and it is basically a default notification.
    And with that notification it should end any and all questions or concerns about the firearm, don't recall the court case.

Cowboy76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    When I took the Utah class one of instructors was in LE he told us in Indiana you do not have to inform. He did suggest that if you want to inform the officer always tell them you hav LTCH & that you are "carrying". Never say you have a gun. Some LE will only hear gun & freak out.

He said he had given warnings instead of tickets on minor infractions,for the courtesy if being informed. I guess that depends on the LE.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I took the Utah class one of instructors was in LE he told us in Indiana you do not have to inform. He did suggest that if you want to inform the officer always tell them you hav LTCH & that you are "carrying". Never say you have a gun. Some LE will only hear gun & freak out.

He said he had given warnings instead of tickets on minor infractions,for the courtesy if being informed. I guess that depends on the LE.

I never inform unless asked. If I am being pulled over for speeding etc. it is of no concern to LEO so just give me the ticket and lets get on with our day. No need to escalate any situation or give someone an excuse to dig in and waste more of your time to find absolutely nothing wrong.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thats not a bad idea. I have only been pulled over a couple of times in the past 15 years, maybe I'll try this next time.:)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rule #1, don't tell on yourself.

Don't lie, but you don't have to volunteer nothing to no one.

Avoid the "G" word (no, not Glock), "gun" is a trigger word (pun intended of course) in law enforcement training.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

If an officer runs your plate, it comes back with a name that the plate is registered to. It will not tell the officer that you have a LTCH. If they decide you need to be stopped, they get your license, run it and then your LTCH status comes up. This is from personal experience.

Oh, and the best thing to do if you're carrying, is jump out of your car, draw your handgun, and start yelling "OFFICER! I JUST WANT YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE A GUN!"

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Not that i get pulled over often, but if i do, I figure I'll hand my pink slip over with my license. Who knows, if he's focused on the gun maybe he'll forget about that stop sign I rolled through?

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    It will only show you have a LTCH if they run you by name and date of birth, not by your Drivers license number. If they run your plate, it will show your DL number in the response and most will just click on that and run your license.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Don't make it a habit of rolling through stop signs so often. :):

I never mention it when I get stopped. I don't plan on using it, so for me it's a non-issue. Officers have also never asked, though I know it comes up.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not that i get pulled over often, but if i do, I figure I'll hand my pink slip over with my license. Who knows, if he's focused on the gun maybe he'll forget about that stop sign I rolled through?
    Or maybe he'll seize your firearm, empty it and its magazine and disassemble it for you. All after running it through the system to see if you're a thief that he can arrest. Not worth the hassle.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It will only show you have a LTCH if they run you by name and date of birth, not by your Drivers license number. If they run your plate, it will show your DL number in the response and most will just click on that and run your license.

Are you sure of that? I've watched an officer put in the DLN and it returns the LTCH status.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ohio is a different story. If you get pulled over in Ohio, the FIRST thing out of your mouth had better be, "Sir, I want to make you aware that I am a license to carry a firearm holder and I have a firearm in my possession."

Unless you're in Canton where you're not allowed to speak until they threaten to take two steps back and put ten rounds in you for daring to have a legal firearm on you.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Are you sure of that? I've watched an officer put in the DLN and it returns the LTCH status.

I am 100% positive, I see it every day.

The OLN is a number assigned by the BMV and is in no way linked to your LTCH. The database also has no field to inquire using a Drivers License Number (Only has fields for Name, DOB, SS# or Permit#).

Additional databases are automatically queried, but only against what is submitted, so if I send an request using a DL# and a DL# is not listed specifically in the wanted person file, protection order file, Concealed Weapon file, violent gang file, supervised release file, terrorist file, or missing person file; there would never be a positive response.

The preferred inquiry method is Name, Sex, and Date of Birth but is not practiced as nearly as they would like. Especially since most MDT clients allow you to just click on a DL# in a plate response and run the owner if he/she is also the operator. If a request is made using name and DOB, then that same information is used to query the additional files.....

Hope that makes sense.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    If you elect not to tell them that you have a LTCH, then locate you LTC away from your DL. They are trained to look in your wallet. I was pulled over and given a warning for speeding. When he came back to my car, he ask if I was carrying. He had seen that I had a LTCH, I asked if there was something on my DL that showed I had a LTCH. That is when he said there is nothing on the DL but he had seen it in my wallet behind my DL. So don't keep them together if you plan on not telling. The LEO I know recomended telling the officer when he comes to the car that you have a LTCH and where the gun is. I won't suggest what you should do.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom