• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    BigRed… that is a damn fine looking scooter! Got me looking at Indian’s now.
    I found out we have a dealer in the Fort.
    If there had been an Indian dealer in 2019 located in the Fort I’d be riding one instead of my SG. At the time the closest one to me was Elkhart, In.
    A Chief Dark Horse in blue might be in the works.
    I'm not a rider but I've always liked the looks of Indians, especially the older ones.

1724108154853.png1724108175438.png1724108205085.png1724108218756.png

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I don’t really have a horse in the Indian/Harley battle. I did recently join a Face Book group called the East Mountain Nomads. My wife calls it my biker gang. They do ride every second Saturday but I haven’t gone on one yet as I work part time Saturday mornings. Group pictures look like 90 percent Harleys, with 1 CanAm, a crotch rocket or two, and maybe a thing or to of something else. I noticed there’s always a truck and trailer bringing up the rear, but I’m sure that’s for the CanAm or maybe a crotch rocket crash in a 1 degree corner! I’ve never been on a ride in 52 years where I had a chase vehicle behind me?

Anyway, while I’m on the subject, if I was running a group ride I sure wouldn’t put all the newbies and upstarts at THE BACK!!! How would I know if they can stop? Don’t want them crashing into the back of me!!
    I’d have the leader up front of course, then all the new riders and then the experienced riders at the back, but I NEVER SEE THAT? Maybe that’s why I don’t go on group rides. Otherwise, I want to be the very last rider, but behind all the people that just got their new bike yesterday.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don’t think I’m a naysayer. I have no issues with Harley, if you want one you should buy one, if you can afford it. I have “maybe” an issue with people that think you’re nothing if you don’t ride a Harley. Haven’t really met any out here, but a few in Wisconsin. Maybe the proximity to Milwaukee? We used to call that The Mistake on the Lake, but nothing really to do with Harley. My wife wanted one for a while. I know nothing about them and wasn’t all that excited about learning a new engine format, tho we did end up with a big air cooled V Twin eventually.

I knew a guy that worked for Harley in Tomahawk, WI. Paint and fiberglass. He bounced down to KC, then up to Milwaukee, and for a time was a big guy in the electric bike division. But, I lost track of him 10 years ago. He was a true believer then, but never ran down my stuff. Even rode a few of mine cause his Sportster Low always seemed to be broken. But, I freely admit I’m not your normal biker in any way shape or form. I’m not even normal anything any more, somehow.

That Indian is GORGEOUS!!! Maroon, gold, and black push all my buttons. I could see owning one of those before a Harley, but likely never either. Wife says I gotta sell something to buy, and I don’t want to. The Kawasaki should go, but the Raider makes the most sense for the future but it’s my least favorite of the three. The V65 is going to the grave with me!
    View attachment 374325

One of my best friends since grade school had a V45 like this:

53EEDB95-30AD-4E78-B73A-88ED634F2218.jpeg

That was a FUN bike back in the day.

Sadly, he departed much too young years ago. I've always missed him, but even more so when I got back into riding again. He would have appreciated getting back out again.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I get that you dont want to ride it farther than you want to have it towed home.

LOL!

10,500 trouble free miles so far with nothing but routine maintenance!

I did find myself looking seriously at a Softail Springer recently though. Not sure I need a second bike such as that, but I do like Springers.

I kick around the idea of a bagger for longer road trips with the better half, but I suspect she wouldn't ride enough to justify the cost.

Oh well....ya never know!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    LOL!

10,500 trouble free miles so far with nothing but routine maintenance!

I did find myself looking seriously at a Softail Springer recently though. Not sure I need a second bike such as that, but I do like Springers.

I kick around the idea of a bagger for longer road trips with the better half, but I suspect she wouldn't ride enough to justify the cost.

Oh well....ya never know!
    The softail might be more comfortable but your swing arm indian I'm sure is more fun to ride.
    I'm not a softail guy, to mushie in the corners for me. Oh and as nice as you indian looks, it cant be that fast with only a single front disk on it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The softail might be more comfortable but your swing arm indian I'm sure is more fun to ride.
    I'm not a softail guy, to mushie in the corners for me. Oh and as nice as you indian looks, it cant be that fast with only a single front disk on it.

I know it can cruise at 120 pretty easily....had to do it once when I got an "emergency" call....not necessarily fun though and I don't recommend it.

My "fast" days on a bike are behind me...I tend to simply enjoy fooling around the back roads at 70 or most often less.

BTW, the Orange County guys told me you don't need front brakes.....LOL

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    4b5ghw9oh4y61.jpg

Young pups.

Royal Enfield made their first bike in 1901 and hasn't stopped since. ;)
    Heres one of those quality India built Royal Enfield 350's for sale near me, you can buy this fine 2 yr old motorcycle for $2,900.00

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I know it can cruise at 120 pretty easily....had to do it once when I got an "emergency" call....not necessarily fun though and I don't recommend it.

My "fast" days on a bike are behind me...I tend to simply enjoy fooling around the back roads at 70 or most often less.

BTW, the Orange County guys told me you don't need front brakes.....LOL
    Not unless you want to stop, The CHOPPER has a micro front drum brake.
    They are good for holding you at a light on a hill and thats about it.
    Bikes like that will teach one quickly that a front disk is really important.
    Remember mini bikes with just a scrub rear brake? lol
    Front wheel bearings are here and front brake cable should be here tomorrow.
    I'm hoping to get the assy back together tomorrow.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Not unless you want to stop, The CHOPPER has a micro front drum brake.
    They are good for holding you at a light on a hill and thats about it.
    Bikes like that will teach one quickly that a front disk is really important.
    Remember mini bikes with just a scrub rear brake? lol
    Front wheel bearings are here and front brake cable should be here tomorrow.
    I'm hoping to get the assy back together tomorrow.
    The Triumph?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    BigRed… that is a damn fine looking scooter! Got me looking at Indian’s now.
    I found out we have a dealer in the Fort.
    If there had been an Indian dealer in 2019 located in the Fort I’d be riding one instead of my SG. At the time the closest one to me was Elkhart, In.
    A Chief Dark Horse in blue might be in the works.

I like the Chief.

Better half says my wish list is bigger than my garage.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    One of my best friends since grade school had a V45 like this:

View attachment 374364

That was a FUN bike back in the day.

Sadly, he departed much too young years ago. I've always missed him, but even more so when I got back into riding again. He would have appreciated getting back out again.
    That is the 2nd Gen Super Magna, only made in 1987 and ‘88. 87 was a 700 in the protect Harley era and 88 was a 750 again. I might have that reversed, been a long day cutting down bark beetle trees trying to save The Compound. Nothing at all like mine other than the name. The 3rd Gen Magna is a completely different bike again.

I’ve never ridden one but heard they were fun. Pretty rare. My HD buddy and me were at a bike shop and he said “here’s a Honda Twin”. I said, “yeah it’s a Twin on this side too” and he just looked at me kinda funny.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That is the 2nd Gen Super Magna, only made in 1987 and ‘88. 87 was a 700 in the protect Harley era and 88 was a 750 again. I might have that reversed, been a long day cutting down bark beetle trees trying to save The Compound.

I’ve never ridden one but heard they were fun. Pretty rare. My HD buddy and me were at a bike shop and he said “here’s a Honda Twin”. I said, “yeah it’s a Twin on this side too” and he just looked at me kinda funny.
    You are correct! His was an '88...750.

Shaft drive was the "latest and greatest" thing around then.

Yamaha came out with the V-Max around the same time. It too had the shaft drive. I met a number of folks that converted them to chain drive. Some wild bikes during the time.

I think the V45 would have been better with a chain or belt...Same for many of the bikes in that space from that era.

Meh...doesn't matter now... Given the chance to pick up a V45 that want abused I would probably do it.

I get why you appreciate the V65!

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    A little history for the young’uns. I believe, but not positive this is why the Japanese started building the bigger bikes in Maryville, OH and Kawasaki in Lincoln, Nebraska, to get around the tariffs.

At one point I had an ‘83, a ‘84, and an ‘86 V65 Magna at the same time. The 83, the one I still have was built in Japan, the other two in Ohio.

Mine is also shaft drive and most people that ride it do not like how it handles in the corners. I guess I’m used to it. It’s a beast above 6000 rpm, but pretty docile down low. The third Gen was belt drive. The Raider being belt drive handles a lot better than the Magna, night and day. It’s really made for going in a straight line as fast as possible. The V65 was the first production motorcycle to break into the 10 second quarter mile, but just barely!! 116 horses out of a V4 65 cubic inches motor, thus V65, in 1983 is pretty impressive, I’d say. Of course the ZRX makes it look silly in a corner, and looks silly compared to today’s 600s even.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A little history for the young’uns. I believe, but not positive this is why the Japanese started building the bigger bikes in Maryville, OH and Kawasaki in Lincoln, Nebraska, to get around the tariffs.

At one point I had an ‘83, a ‘84, and an ‘86 V65 Magna at the same time. The 83, the one I still have was built in Japan, the other two in Ohio.

Mine is also shaft drive and most people that ride it do not like how it handles in the corners. I guess I’m used to it. It’s a beast above 6000 rpm, but pretty docile down low. The third Gen was belt drive. The Raider being belt drive handles a lot better than the Magna, night and day. It’s really made for going in a straight line as fast as possible. 116 horses out of 65 cubic inches, thus V65, in 1983 is pretty impressive, I’d say. Of course the ZRX makes it look silly, and looks silly compared to today’s 600s even.

It was over Honda and others dumping the prices on motorcycles in the USA. We added tarrifs.
    They and Kawasaki built plants here to avoid these tarries.
    They both couldn't compete building motorcycles here and they both closed in the early 2000's?

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    It was over Honda and others dumping the prices on motorcycles in the USA. We added tarrifs.
    They and Kawasaki built plants here to avoid these tarries.
    They both couldn't compete building motorcycles here and they both closed in the early 2000's?
    Yes, that’s true why they built plants here. I don’t know if that’s why they closed them or not? Could be. The tariffs went off in 1987, so that’s 13 years to the 2000s at least. I believe the Kawasaki plant builds engines for lawn mowers, and the Maryville plant I just read is going to start building cars. But, you are correct, neither builds bikes.

The V65 was only built for 4 years, and the cruiser horsepower crown was taken over by the Yamaha VMax, which was built up until recently anyway.

If you want to go fast, the V Twin is the wrong platform to start with. But, I don’t think going fast is Harleys #1 goal. You can make a VTwin fast, it’s just not easy and it’s expensive. Or, you can compete against 750cc bikes with 1000ccs.

Out of my three bikes if I’m taking a long trip it’s definitely on the Raider. If I was going days or weeks I’d love to be on a Harley.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes, that’s true why they built plants here. I don’t know if that’s why they closed them or not? Could be. The tariffs went off in 1987, so that’s 13 years to the 2000s at least. I believe the Kawasaki plant builds engines for lawn mowers, and the Maryville plant I just read is going to start building cars. But, you are correct, neither builds bikes.

The V65 was only built for 4 years, and the cruiser horsepower crown was taken over by the Yamaha VMax, which was built up until recently anyway.

If you want to go fast, the V Twin is the wrong platform to start with. But, I don’t think going fast is Harleys #1 goal. You can make a VTwin fast, it’s just not easy and it’s expensive. Or, you can compete against 750cc bikes with 1000ccs.

Out of my three bikes if I’m taking a long trip it’s definitely on the Raider. If I was going days or weeks I’d love to be on a Harley.
    V Twins arnt fast, Harley Davidson has done pretty good on the flat track with 50 year old long pushrod 750 ci V Twins.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley?
    Trade it in on a Yamaha… :joke:
    How many National Grand Championships has yamaha, Honda or any other motorcycle company won again?
    Harley Davidsons 44+ year old V twin carbureted 750 ci with long pushrod technology has won 36 NGC out of the last 44 NGC.
    Get back to me when someone else has won that many.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What's the difference between a Harley taken to Daytona on a trailer and
    one that's being ridden there?

The one on the trailer is going about 30mph faster.

And can’t leave out this classic.

What does "water cooled" mean to a Harley rider?

Standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

Top Bottom