• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I can't believe I just read all 42 pages of this thread:laugh:.....

Anyway, nice job OP. I belive you did the right thing. :rockwoot:
    Only 11 for me. Change your board settings.

well, it was until he said he would have shot the guy if he charged.

What would you recommend? Re-holstering to draw a knife? pistol whip? I'm curious, cause right now I agree with the oP.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    At first it was :draw:

Then is was :dunno:

Then all of a sudden :mods:

Then it evolves into :starwars: with an occasional :rofl:

Now its just :dunno:

Either :runaway:

OR :coffee:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

I think we should leave that until it happens for real. Because at that point so many more things may come into play, like did he pull a knife, etc.

We could go on forever with what he may have done next but "next" never happened. Many have argued about the court case that would come from this and how he would answer. Well, so far, if there were to be a court case he would only be answering for what actually did happen. They will not ask him what if more had happened. He cannot be convicted on something that has not happened.

So there.... We could have cut this thread down to 2-3 pages and been done with it.:D

I like the way you debate Hickman. Your courteous and you make your points. :yesway: You don't really let it get all down in the gutter and angry. Well done.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I hope I don't regret posting in this topic, but . . .

(and maybe someone else mentioned this)

. . . what kind of person charges at someone who is holding a gun? A reasonable individual could infer from that behavior that the assailant is either crazy or has some as yet unseen means for doing harm that emboldens them. Either way, I think it's possible to make a case that even though the attacker is apparently unarmed, they still present a threat warranting use of potentially deadly force.

I'm not saying it's the "right" response, but with the luxury of the "what if?" while we're all safe, it's worth thinkin' about it.

Decisions are hard!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

. . . what kind of person charges at someone who is holding a gun? A reasonable individual could infer from that behavior that the assailant is either crazy or has some as yet unseen means for doing harm that emboldens them. Either way, I think it's possible to make a case that even though the attacker is apparently unarmed, they still present a threat warranting use of potentially deadly force.

I'm not saying it's the "right" response, but with the luxury of the "what if?" while we're all safe, it's worth thinkin' about it.

Decisions are hard!
    I am with Rhino on this. If I am pointing a gun at someone and they charge me I assume they mean to kill me, hurt me badly or want to try and get my gun.
    BANG BANG

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    and you did a bang up job on the drawing the pistol part.

Think it took a turn when the OP said he's shoot the guy if he charged him. Then it turned into a justifying deadly force on an unarmed assailant case.

The only thing I'm really trying to advocate here is there is more to an LTCH than a gun and the Indiana Code. Until YOU have to sit in front of a full court justifying your actions... you really can't know. I should have gave up caring about this thread long ago... but if just ONE person goes and learns what they really can or can not do, it was worth the time.

NO, NO AND FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME NO!

If anything, if the guy charged it turned into a justifying deadly force on a person actively committing a forcible felony case.

That is the standard under Indiana law, NOT whether the person was armed.

Why are you continuously ignoring the IC and acting like Indiana is a common law self-defense rule state? The common law rules of self defense have been statutorily abrogated in Indiana and no longer apply.

Why you continue to ignore the ACTUAL ELEMENTS OF THE LAW is what is really beyond me here.

This whole "educate yourself" thing is admirable but demonstrating a wholly superficial understanding of the law in the jurisdiction you are talking about is not.

Joe

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Only 11 for me. Change your board settings.

What would you recommend? Re-holstering to draw a knife? pistol whip? I'm curious, cause right now I agree with the oP.

I recommend taking training from one of the trainers I posted above.

Had that been me, he would have been covered in pepper spray, which my wife and I both started carrying after a class.

Funny though, we talked about this last week.

If you carry a lethal option, you should carry a less than lethal option.

scroll down a little past the jokes:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/196244-do_you_carry_oc_pepper_spray.html

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Decisions are hard!

I can't believe, of ALL PEOPLE, you didn't throw out pepper spray!

YOU are the pepper spray master!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If anything, if the guy charged it turned into a justifying deadly force on a person actively committing a forcible felony case.

"Forcible felony" defined

Sec. 11. "Forcible felony" means a felony that involves the use or
    threat of force against a human being, or in which there is imminent
    danger of bodily injury to a human being.

You would be on the stand trying to convince the jury that you "reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury"

What felony is "running at someone"? Did the guy outweigh the OP by 100 pounds to make him fear for his life? He didn't indicate that or imply that.

Was "a Hispanic male in a heavy coat" justification for deadly force? hell no
    If I draw back and act like I'm going to punch you in the face, that is not justification either.

The case I posted above where someone PUSHES YOU, is not justification.

You have to PROVE IN COURT, that you were in reasonable fear of SERIOUS BODILY INJURY... not a black eye, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY

That's why pepper spray (reasonable force) is an option for unarmed perps, as Paul Gomez (linked above) suggests.

Top Bottom