• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    c'mon now, bust his chops too for misspelling words. Equal opportunity.

You seriously think this was about your spelling?

Buddha is amused.

lolbuddha.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't yet have my door open and what was i supposed to say "hold on while i get my door unlocked"? And i drew on him because he said "give me your money and i wont hurt you"... He said "hurt you" therefor it is a threat and there is no way in hell someone is going to threaten me and me not do something. He could have had a knife, gun, or some other weapon under his coat, so me drawing on him may have stopped him from hurting me.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think you done a good job. Trigger on the finger and all. The rule of thumb is, "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire", in this case you were ready to fire if your life depended on it. As you should in any threatening situation and someone trying to rob you is definitely a threatening situation. :yesway::yesway:

Size doesn't matter. It's the willpower of the person that matters the most. One guy (G Stines) says he wouldn't feel threatened because the other person didn't show a weapon. The fact of the matter is that he may have had one, just not out at the time. Had I been in the situation I hope I wouldn't have done it any differently than the OP. He was able and willing to defend himself and his property. If some of you want to carry a weapon for the "good looks" then so be it. Just remember, if you're willing to let them get close enough to take your wallet then they are close enough to take your gun and most importantly, your life.

6 ft of space is covered in 1 step and a thrust with a knife. If you really think such a small amount of space is going to save your life then you obviously need more realistic training than shooting at a known distance at a still target. :twocents:

Agree completely!

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I was gonna vote you did it wrong figuring you were talking about starting a poll. But since you were asking about the encounter, you did right.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So you weren't really worried for your safety? If he's unarmed, presenting no threat, why defend? If he was a threat, why let him take his leave? Don't worry about answering (not that either of those questions were rhetorical), I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

As a side note, you'd probably get a more positive response from people if you took and gave constructive criticism instead of defensive outlashes.
    Either way, as I said before, good luck.

Tell you what, wait till your in a similar situation, then you come on here and tell us how YOU handled it!
    The op did a great job defending himself, and controlling himself so as not to take a life!
    He also has every right to defend his actions and words on here to those who want to rag on him!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Added a poll at the top of the page so people can vote if it was dong right, or wrong!

you don't need a poll, you need TRAINING. I highly recommend a Force on Force class because I don't believe you were justified drawing your weapon.

Single, unarmed, verbal threat, outside of your vehicle, no witnesses

Even if he hit you, you wouldn't have been justified.

Kory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Um lay person reading this would belive if he were struck of weapon presented OP would indeed Justified in using force
    SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]: Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; only and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    OP said he was unarmed. Words and threats do not cause injury.

This is one of the reasons pepper spray is also recommended.

Get some training folks, you need to understand exactly what our law allows.

It is one thing to be in your home or property, but that isn't the case here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom