• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember if this happens to you, call the police.
    They usually think of the person that calls, as the victim.
    They have occasionally been called by the perp, who neglects the 1st part of story.
    The person with the gun becomes BAD GUY in their mind.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I already filed a police report saying otherwise.. plus this guy was scared crapless, he would not be thinking about contacting the police. Also just so I can understand, I was supposed to shoot him because he may rob someone I'm the future?

Here is what I think, again. I think you did what you had to do forget the monday morning QB's. You also filed a police report like you should have and you made it home at the end of the day end of story. If you had shot him as he turned and ran away I believe this may not have been the case, because you might have easily been arrested. It has been shown that people who shoot someone after the threat has been neutralized or stopped ( ie: him turning and running away ) usually do not fair well in court claiming self defense. :twocents:

I smell fail, next time.. hold 'em at gun point until the police show up!

Okay I think we could all agree with hold them at gun point till the cop shows up and from reading op's story it sounds as if that was his intentions, but, please do tell how you personally would have done that when the BG turned and fled. Basically from OP's recount as he drew on BG he turned and fled instantly, so now please give us play by play as how YOU handle it. I'm sure this will be interesting to say the least so we're anxiously awaiting. :popcorn:

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Thanks for the post. I am glad everything turned out as well as it did. I think you did the right thing, you stopped the threat with as little force as you could and you did not escalate things by trying to play cop and make him drop to the ground and wait for the cops.

Best of all you didn't shoot him and he didn't hurt you. Too bad he got away but next time he will be thinking of what happened with you and may not do this again.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Glad your ok and did the scumbag have any visible weapons. How close was he to you. Did you tell the cops you were armed and had your permit. How did they handle the situation. Some cops are different than others. I wonder if that would be brandishing a weapon or not. Stay safe.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    jbrooks19 -- I had a similar incident about 15 years ago. Similar outcome too. Pay no attention to "what about this" and "what if that". It's easy to second guess from the safety of a computer chair. Handled well. Great job.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    was looking at the Kokomo police logs, but didn't see anything about it.

Guess they didn't bother to file anything. Down here, they even print when someone gets pulled over for a burned out license plate light.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    this guys next potential victim will be someone he thinks wont be armed...so i hope the little girl driving a hyundai and wearing a beanie is packing some heat

He may have to go home to change his pants before the next time he tries this.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Great job and glad you are okay! You were completely within your rights to draw your firearm on him. As soon as the words, "Give me all your money" came out of the guys mouth, you had the right to draw on him.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Okay I think we could all agree with hold them at gun point till the cop shows up and from reading op's story it sounds as if that was his intentions, but, please do tell how you personally would have done that when the BG turned and fled. Basically from OP's recount as he drew on BG he turned and fled instantly, so now please give us play by play as how YOU handle it. I'm sure this will be interesting to say the least so we're anxiously awaiting. :popcorn:

Who are you?

Oh that's right.. nobody important to me!

I find it somewhat amusing how you agree with me, but then say all this other BS.. so here is your play by play INGO newb!

:ingo:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Today in Logansport i was at the gas station, just went in for a coke.. I came out and as i was about to get in my car a guy walked out from behind the gas station and said "Give me your money and i wont hurt you"......
    I was thinking who does this douche bag think he is?............... So i instantly drew my Glock out and yelled step back, his eyes got HUGE :n00b: and he backed up, as soon as i got my phone out to call the police he took off running.. Glad i had my Glock!!!!
    Had something like that happen to me outside a Mike's carwash a few years ago. All of a sudden the ten bucks the guy said I had to give him was not that important. Funny how that works huh?:cool:

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    The reason you may not see a police report, is because the officer told me this is a pretty common thing that happens there.. so i imagine that they think "O another day in good ol Logansport", no reason to file another one that we have no intention of further investigating.. To be honest i dont care what the police do, im just glad i saved my life, and made it home with out being arrested. I dont care what people on here say, i handled things in the best way (Most Legal) way possible, no paperwork, no wondering if the BG's family would try to sue me, all that B.S. This entire situation turned out "OK"

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I tried, he took off running. There is no way in hell i'm going to shoot him for running. You should NOT own a firearm if you believe that just the sight of a gun means the perp is going to listen to you, that's ignorant. and you "smell fail"? WTF? a fail would have been him robbing me, or me shooting him and he not having a weapon and me getting arrested, that would have been considered a "fail". Your post is what a true "Fail" is.

I smell fail, next time.. hold 'em at gun point until the police show up!

Top Bottom