• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    [...]The very first time I unholstered for what I thought might be self-defense purposes I found myself with a very good sight picture, a round in the chamber, a very steady hand...and a magazine in the dirt at my feet. I had inadvertently ejected it by having poor thumb placement and a very tight grip.[...]

One more reason I hate magazine disconnects.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The end goal is to survive. I think the OP did just fine. He survived and nobody got hurt.

Now, at the risk of being called an armchair quarterback, I would have done one thing differently.

I would have posted this in Carry Issues/Self-Defense instead of the Handguns forum.

:)

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    It happened at the speedway next to happy burger.. Kind of ballsie on the BG to try it there, in broad daylight..

Thanks, I will let her know. She goes to that gas station all the time. Kinda surprised as I figure you might tell me a different area as that area normally seems pretty safe. Just goes to show it can happen anywhere and to always be ready.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I think you handled the situation perfectly OP. I believe you responded with a high degree of responsibility, level headed thinking, and trigger discipline.

I appreciate that you decided to post your experience here so that we can all gain from it. I'd feel secure with you as my 'wingman'. :yesway:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    My initial reaction was to call the OP out for being a hothead, but after more thought, I can see agreeing with this:

Good job! Forget what anybody else told you otherwise, you were reactive and showed him some people don't lay down.

Unfortunately, being proactive in SD situations like this, may be, or may become necessary.

I understand the school of thought that says to give up things of value, in order to avoid having to draw and/or shoot. However, that notion may be, or end up being, suited to a more civil society than our is developing into. The time may be coming soon, if it is not already upon us, that giving up things of value may have little, to no bearing on whether you make it out alive. :dunno:

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    You "fault" me?!!!?!?!? are you fking kidding me!?!?!?!?? I was supposed to shoot him when i did not see a weapon on him??? you are a genius! I would love to spend life in prison for shooting an unarmed man. Don't ever "Fault" someone for not killing a person when killing was NOT the answer.. Im not going to kill someone for "trying" to rob me. The sight of me pulling a gun on him was enough to stop him from what he was doing, it is not at all my "fault" for him running.. o wait you think shooting him in the back was a good idea when he was running, dont you?? I dont know about you but i dont wanna have to be scared of dropping the soap in the shower for the rest of my life.

So you weren't really worried for your safety? If he's unarmed, presenting no threat, why defend? If he was a threat, why let him take his leave? Don't worry about answering (not that either of those questions were rhetorical), I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

As a side note, you'd probably get a more positive response from people if you took and gave constructive criticism instead of defensive outlashes.
    Either way, as I said before, good luck.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You did just fine, I would have done the same thing, except I would have laid him out prone for 911 retrieval.

Get on the ground, do it now.

Best tasting Coke you ever drank too I bet!

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Kudos to you. I will protect myself if I must, but I would probably be more than a little shaky in your situation. However, obviously the bg didn't see you shaking, and I hope I could say the same if it were me.

Top Bottom