• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I won't name him, but I received a text over the weekend from a certain INGOer. He informed me that if I buy another jeep, truck, airplane or anything else, he will hunt me down and flatten all my tires.

So needless to say, I won't be buying anything before I get a baby :D

Wow. What a jerk face.

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    I traded an AR for an F150 v8 2wd once. No money out of pocket on that deal. I believe I got a good deal, if looked at from a hardware and engineering standpoint.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I configured a nearly $80k Tahoe and an $85k Suburban on Chevy's Build & Price web page. Mercy.

For $80, there are nearly a dozen other "truck"-like vehicles I'd rather have. Yes, I know that a Tahoe and a 'Burb are "SUVs" - but still a truck frame. For now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I configured a nearly $80k Tahoe and an $85k Suburban on Chevy's Build & Price web page. Mercy.

For $80, there are nearly a dozen other "truck"-like vehicles I'd rather have. Yes, I know that a Tahoe and a 'Burb are "SUVs" - but still a truck frame. For now.

Trucks are expensive. Very expensive.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Trucks are expensive. Very expensive.

I just "built" a 2016 Land Rover LR4 "Benchmark". Just a tick under $70k. I'd rather have that than a Tahoe.

A brand new top of the line Toyota Sequoia - $66k. I'd rather have that than a Tahoe.

Toyota Land Cruiser - $85k. Again, rather have that than a Tahoe.

$53k for a top of the line Nissan Armada. Rather have that than a Tahoe.

$82k for a well appointed MB GL450 (Granted, not a truck chassis - but their G-wagen starts at $119k and that's a tad too high if I'm trying to keep costs similar)

$68K for a Lexus GK that I'd rather have than a Tahoe...

$70k for an Infinity GX80 that I'd rather have than a Tahoe...

$82k for an Audi Q7 (Granted, not a truck...but still a lux SUV)

Ok, Ok... so half a dozen other options besides the Tahoe / Yukon. Still hard for me to fathom paying that much for a Chevy/GMC SUV. That's crazy.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I just "built" a 2016 Land Rover LR4 "Benchmark". Just a tick under $70k. I'd rather have that than a Tahoe.

A brand new top of the line Toyota Sequoia - $66k. I'd rather have that than a Tahoe.

Toyota Land Cruiser - $85k. Again, rather have that than a Tahoe.

$53k for a top of the line Nissan Armada. Rather have that than a Tahoe.

$82k for a well appointed MB GL450 (Granted, not a truck chassis - but their G-wagen starts at $119k and that's a tad too high if I'm trying to keep costs similar)

$68K for a Lexus GK that I'd rather have than a Tahoe...

$70k for an Infinity GX80 that I'd rather have than a Tahoe...

$82k for an Audi Q7 (Granted, not a truck...but still a lux SUV)

Ok, Ok... so half a dozen other options besides the Tahoe / Yukon. Still hard for me to fathom paying that much for a Chevy/GMC SUV. That's crazy.

To get a Tahoe or Suburban to the prices you listed you have to to check every box and add a lot of accessories.
    I looked at some of the vehicles you compared them to and they can be built to several thousand more than you listed. Some of the websites are still showing 2015 models and pricing.
    I just looked at a Tahoe(at the dealership not on the computer) that was very well equipped for for less than $65K now it didn't have 22" wheels and power retractable steps or $1K paint upcharges but was still a beautiful truck. I built online a nice non-leather Tahoe with what I needed and not what I wanted for around $58K IIRC.

Try to compare apples to apples. If you want a orange buy a orange. Lots of options out there.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My only significant complaint with the prices on newer trucks is that you're basically forced to pay for things that you may not want. When I bought my Ram I wanted as bare bones as I could get, that is much easier said than done. I did end up with rubber floors and vinyl seats but I still have electronic four wheel drive, power windows, power locks and lots of other electronically controlled crap that I'd prefer not to have to repair in the future.

I'd love to see a new company come out and make a truck for those who just want a truck. ABS and electronic injection are about the extent of my interest in 12V accessorizing. Solid front axle, manual locking hubs, rubber floors, vinyl seats, manual everything including the transmission. Spend the money on a quality motor, transfer case and transmission instead of crap that tells me when I need an oil change, how many miles until I run out of fuel and sends messages on the health of my truck to the manufacturer.

I got as close as I could with mine and my wife still stole it. :(

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My only significant complaint with the prices on newer trucks is that you're basically forced to pay for things that you may not want. When I bought my Ram I wanted as bare bones as I could get, that is much easier said than done. I did end up with rubber floors and vinyl seats but I still have electronic four wheel drive, power windows, power locks and lots of other electronically controlled crap that I'd prefer not to have to repair in the future.

I'd love to see a new company come out and make a truck for those who just want a truck. ABS and electronic injection are about the extent of my interest in 12V accessorizing. Solid front axle, manual locking hubs, rubber floors, vinyl seats, manual everything including the transmission. Spend the money on a quality motor, transfer case and transmission instead of crap that tells me when I need an oil change, how many miles until I run out of fuel and sends messages on the health of my truck to the manufacturer.

You can have all that. Just think older. The cost to go out west and buy a solid older truck, pay someone to install a newer drivetrain, you'd still be cheaper than a brand new truck and you'd have everything you just listed.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can have all that. Just think older. The cost to go out west and buy a solid older truck, pay someone to install a newer drivetrain, you'd still be cheaper than a brand new truck and you'd have everything you just listed.

From what I've seen, installing a newer drive train in an older vehicle is way past the point of being cost prohibitive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Out of curiosity, I checked out the GM website for the cheapest 1500 Silverado you can buy and it's still $27095 MSRP. I know I'm old but, holy cow! It doesn't seem all that long ago, you could buy a really nice 4WD, V8, crew cab, mid-level trim truck for that.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    From what I've seen, installing a newer drive train in an older vehicle is way past the point of being cost prohibitive.
    It would certainly vary depending on how crazy you wanted it to be. The cheapest route is to buy one already swapped. When I was looking, an older 2wd Chevy with an LS engine already installed could be had under $10k. Assuming the truck was rust free, I see no reason a 4x4 with no power anything and a modern junkyard engine and transmission swap, depending on the pickup the axles may be worth keeping, a nice build could easily be under $20k. The trick is going to be finding someone experienced enough in the swaps so they know all the tricks and won't have any questions.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Out of curiosity, I checked out the GM website for the cheapest 1500 Silverado you can buy and it's still $27095 MSRP. I know I'm old but, holy cow! It doesn't seem all that long ago, you could buy a really nice 4WD, V8, crew cab, mid-level trim truck for that.
    I did that very same thing last summer when I was pondering buying a new pickup. I wanted absolutely base everything, only options being 4x4 and a v8. HA! No way I can afford that. Can't even get a manual transmission in a GM truck anymore... The cheapest I found was a sale by a local dealer for a previous model year 2wd long bed reg cab v6 for $21k.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I bought my 2012 Ram, still new on the lot in August 2013. It's a Tradesman model which is about as low brow as it gets but it still has the 5.7 Hemi and 4x4. I paid $26k for it which I didn't think was too bad considering what most V8 4x4 trucks go for. Wasn't the steal of the century but I thought it was fair.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I bought my 2012 Ram, still new on the lot in August 2013. It's a Tradesman model which is about as low brow as it gets but it still has the 5.7 Hemi and 4x4. I paid $26k for it which I didn't think was too bad considering what most V8 4x4 trucks go for. Wasn't the steal of the century but I thought it was fair.

My GMC is an '03 and IIRC, the sticker on it was like $32-35K. With rebates and discounts, I bought it for like $25K. It was nice, not top of the line but I don't think could even get close to that now. I want to say back then, you could buy a "work truck" with v-6, regular cab, stick shift, maybe with A/C for $17-19K.

Top Bottom