• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Lunch time I was on cars.com just searching and punching numbers on their payment calculator. Just for fun of course.

Oy. It's dang near impossible to buy a vehicle in the 2012-2013 range with less than 60,000 miles, and keep the payments below $300 a month.

Vehicles are WAY too expensive. High mileage is the way to go!

We just bought a 2012 F150 super crew with 44K miles on it. XLT, 4x4, chrome package, 5.0L, and running boards and our payment is low $300.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wouldn't know what to do with all those fancy features. I've been driving a vehicle everyday without power windows and locks since 2005.

I see this sentiment a lot, and I can't help but wonder why. Why would someone not want at least power windows? I used to have a 2005 Silverado with crank windows, and that was honestly the only thing I didn't like about that truck. I will never again own a vehicle without power windows. Pain in the butt, crawling across the seat to open the passenger window. It seems like people are almost proud of the fact that they own a rolling metal box with no creature comforts.

Why?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I see this sentiment a lot, and I can't help but wonder why. Why would someone not want at least power windows? I used to have a 2005 Silverado with crank windows, and that was honestly the only thing I didn't like about that truck. I will never again own a vehicle without power windows. Pain in the butt, crawling across the seat to open the passenger window. It seems like people are almost proud of the fact that they own a rolling metal box with no creature comforts.

Why?

I never said I didn't want those features. I was just saying that since I haven't had power windows and locks in such a long time, all the new fancy features would be extremely different to have.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Different strokes for different folks. Some like simplicity, simplicity can mean independence. I don't like having something like my power windows stop working, having to take it someone who will hook it up to a $25,000 computer/machine to tell me that I have a sensor in the rear axle which has gone bad and is inexplicably linked to the power window module because monkeys can't do algebra on Thursdays. Only costs $913 to get the windows working again.

The windows in my Wranger stop working and it's $40 in parts and an hour with some basic hand tools to fix.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Different strokes for different folks. Some like simplicity, simplicity can mean independence. I don't like having something like my power windows stop working, having to take it someone who will hook it up to a $25,000 computer/machine to tell me that I have a sensor in the rear axle which has gone bad and is inexplicably linked to the power window module because monkeys can't do algebra on Thursdays. Only costs $913 to get the windows working again.

The windows in my Wranger stop working and it's $40 in parts and an hour with some basic hand tools to fix.

I can understand that. However, speaking specifically of power windows, all of my cars/trucks that I can remember have had them for the last 30 years (except that Silverado), and I've only once had one stop working. It was a 92 Bonneville, and it cost $190 to replace the motor. I can understand not wanting the overly complicated stuff like self-parking and things like that. But I do like my creature comforts. (Power windows/locks, heated seats, premium audio, etc.)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

werd.

In any extreme duty vehicle those window switches go out first. In every ford, Chevy, and dodge that I've driven in that capacity, the window switches always go out.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If I were to hit the lottery I can guarantee there would be pictures of the Ford F190000 I'd have built. Quad turbo, 2000ft lbs of torque diesel on 50" tires all over the internet.

[video=youtube;F8P5vGcf-NU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P5vGcf-NU[/video]

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I traded my Ford in at a Ram dealer for a Chevy! I had a 05 F150 that I purchased new, it might have been a fluke but that truck couldn't go 8-9 months with having to replace something. The main thing that drove me away from buying another Ford is their engines. For instance the 5.4L from 2004 to ,I think either 2008 or 2009, have spark plugs that break off when trying to remove them. It was clearly a design flaw but Ford was letting dealers charge whatever they wanted to change. It wasn't unheard of to hear people pay $500 to $1200 for a plug change. Also they could've sent out a notice warning to independent or owners of the potential breakage before these people tried to change them and got over their heads real quick. Now there are special tools and procedures to change these plugs and to extract the broken segments.

This goes for at least Ford and Chevy, I'm not confident in all this new technology trying to improve MPG's. GM has the cylinder deactivation that sometimes can cause oil burning issues. The jury is still out on the Ford Ecoboost engines but when they couldn't even get a spark plug right I lost all confidence in them. I believe this go for all brands from BMW to GM that are trying the direct injection, they are having carbon build up on the valves that require periodic cleanings.

My F150 was an extended cab and now with 2 kiddos I was in the market for a crew cab so I was casually looking for a few months when I stumbled across my new to me truck. I was almost ready to buy new cause I get supplier discounts at GM but I cheapest 1500 crew cab 4x4 I could possibly get was going to be mid 30's with every discount I could muster and this still didn't include tax and title. It was a hard pill to swallow since I haven't had a payment for 7 years and unfortunately the costs of home ownership eat up my new truck fund :(

Anyway in September I found a 2013 Silverado Crew cab 4x4 that was turned in off a lease at the 1 year 10 month mark with 21,000 miles for $25k. I'm not really sure why someone would trade a Chevy lease in at a Chrysler dealer. The dealer said they do it all the time? Anyway mine is a LS package which has very few options which is just fine for me. But the best feature to me is that it has the smaller 4.8L v8 vs the 5.3L. It's the same LS based engine as the 5.3L but it doesn't have the cylinder deactivation. There is a little difference in power but honestly it seems to have more balls than my F150 did so I'm happy with it. If I have the desire to go fast then I just need to pull out the Firebird.

They gave me $9k for the Ford and I put down an additional $5k with a 1.9% interest rate at 5 years my payment is $233. I'll pay around $350/month so that it will be paid off around the 3 year mark.

WoW didn't mean to be that long winded but that's my story!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Anyway in September I found a 2013 Silverado Crew cab 4x4 that was turned in off a lease at the 1 year 10 month mark with 21,000 miles for $25k. I'm not really sure why someone would trade a Chevy lease in at a Chrysler dealer.

You don't trade a lease. You either turn it back in (or buy it) at the end of the lease or you buy out of it, which generally means paying it off early. The dealership will pay off the lease holder and roll the negative equity into your new purchase. Like being upside down on a car loan, basically.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also, for everyone: "affordable payments" are how you get hosed on financing.

Your $26k truck (which, on the surface, isn't a bad price at all) can cost you $33k when all said and done. Not nearly such a good deal.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm paying $3300 in interest over the course of my 7 year loan, I don't consider that unreasonable. I couldn't save money for 7 years and pay cash for one so it is what it is, the cost of doing business.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Also, for everyone: "affordable payments" are how you get hosed on financing.

Your $26k truck (which, on the surface, isn't a bad price at all) can cost you $33k when all said and done. Not nearly such a good deal.
    You've clearly not looked at vehicle loans lately. There are a LOT of dealers offering 0% and 1% - 2% off and on throughout the year. Even private auto loans <2%. If you redo your math with those values, it's almost too good to be true.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom