• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The next time you see an "event" on TV (such as the wild fire in SC ? in the news today), say something about hoping that the people burned out had "someplace to go", were able to grab a few essentials before the had to evacuate, etc.

When they show people on the news that had lost "everything", say [to yourself but loud enough for her to hear] "If only they had been able to grab a bag or some clothes before as they left" You know - muttering to yourself about the bad situation.

Or, maybe you could have SOMEONE ELSE mention something about making preps. Especially if it could be a woman.

But, in any event, just like others said - take it slowly, and no "end of the world" type talk. (Could you get her to go to the Red Cross web site?)

standanjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    "The Happening" is a good recent movie to spark the conversation. The actual circumstances behind the story are a bit far-fetched, but the reactions it portrays are not. Crisis simultaneously brings out the best and worst attributes of humanity. Having a Hollywood interpretation that is easy to understand really helped my wife. After it was over, she even asked me about buying some gas masks!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I personally know a family that lives in Indiana that was out of power (and thus heat and water) for two weeks due to an ice storm.

They had planned ahead, and made it through.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    the Lord has blessed me with a wife that understands the seriousness of the predicament the country is in, sees the threat and does not think it is "here to help" with its "change". She is an active participant in planning for some potentially bad scenarios (the best we can, i guess).

Case in point. I wasn't sure how i was going to break to her that we may need gas masks, thinking that would just really scare her. One day she asks me: "don't you think we need some gas masks". She's on the same page. Why do i ever question? especially after she has shown me time and again that as long as i keep my cool, she will keep hers.

Yet, she has a strong faith in the Lord and believes that He will give those that trust in him no more trouble than they can handle. This affords her peace of mind, while preparing for troubling times.

I thank God for my wife. She is strong-willed, doesn't take much crap from me, but will follow my lead as long as she thinks I am doing what I believe is best for our family (and not just my ego). A good wife.

sorry to hi-jack the thread. reading this thread really made me appreciate my wife all the more. so i bragged on her.

Ha! My wife and I watched an episode of CSI recently where the victims were sprayed from the air with a chemical that caused heart fibrillation, and rapid death. After the show she looked at me and asked "can you still get gas masks? Where would we buy good ones?" :)

She's always been good with grocery buying for the times I was laid off, or the weather was too bad to work in, and she's always been right with me on guns (well, the Barrett M82 50 cal. is still out there, but otherwise...). She asked me this week how my progress was on finding a re-supply on pistol primers was going.

She's also the head canner, since she's allergic to most green plants brushing against her. So she cans and freezes as long as I grow it and bring it to her.

I've got it pretty good in the wife department :D

You fellows with the recalcitrant wives, I feel for you. I'd just keep up preparations, including hers, until she gets the figurative 2x4 between the eyes. It will happen, one way or another, and then you can hand her a bag with the essentials without any fuss or making her look bad, or tell her you (and her, "we") are already prepared, we're in good shape, we don't have to worry about whatever just happened.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    sorry fellas, but "the wives" didn't settle the West. It's up to us, one way or another, to be prepared for whatever. I've been siphoning money here and there getting things over time. Sometimes I say it's "in case of tornado/flood/power outage" and sometimes I just don't say anything.

The thing is, start preparing now. Even if it's just a little at a time, it is something that is YOUR responsibility.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ha! My wife and I watched an episode of CSI recently where the victims were sprayed from the air with a chemical that caused heart fibrillation, and rapid death. After the show she looked at me and asked "can you still get gas masks? Where would we buy good ones?" :)

She's always been good with grocery buying for the times I was laid off, or the weather was too bad to work in, and she's always been right with me on guns (well, the Barrett M82 50 cal. is still out there, but otherwise...). She asked me this week how my progress was on finding a re-supply on pistol primers was going.

She's also the head canner, since she's allergic to most green plants brushing against her. So she cans and freezes as long as I grow it and bring it to her.

I've got it pretty good in the wife department :D

You fellows with the recalcitrant wives, I feel for you. I'd just keep up preparations, including hers, until she gets the figurative 2x4 between the eyes. It will happen, one way or another, and then you can hand her a bag with the essentials without any fuss or making her look bad, or tell her you (and her, "we") are already prepared, we're in good shape, we don't have to worry about whatever just happened.

+1 for the O'Reilly'ish word.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Hard to push a rope, anyone is going to have to make their own choices, all you can do is provide the info and support. Re: without power for 2 weeks. Has happened more than once here, made little difference in our activities.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I dont know the situation or anything.....But this has got to be one of the rudest statments I've heard about a shtf situation. She is your wife, your kids MOM....she should be a priority for that reason ALONE.
    IMO even if you guys are no longer together....she should be a priority. For your kids sake! :twocents:

Agreed, :dunno:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    like job loss, illness, natural disaster, the unforeseen

These were the main points on getting my wife on board. Now mind you, when I first met my wife she was a city girl, fairly liberal, and head in the clouds. She can now shoot a gun, can our spare veggies, and wants chickens and goats for our 2 acre spread in the country.

Just be straight with her. Honey, I love you, and want to make sure we've got extra food in the pantry should the unforeseen occur. Like power or water getting knocked out for a week. Or loosing our job. Or having to take care of your/our parents if they need it.

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I just buy extra chocolate bars when I buy extra food for storage. When the midnight urge for chocolate hits her and she doesn't have to run to the store she is usually appreciative.

I give it gladly and replace it on my next trip.

She's coming around.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    From the time we moved in together, I have overbought all my canned goods so she is getting pretty used to the idea of me/us being "stocked up." One time I was buying canned stuff from Dollar General and the cashier asked me if I ran a Summer Camp or something, lol.

My explanation to her is the upcoming Obama Depression. Getting her savvy on today's politics helps in understanding where our country is going. I suggest tuning into Sean Hannity.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    One word ,, Katrina . We Hoosiers live near / on the San Madrid fault line , tornado's , already twice as much rain than normal , natural disasters and that's not even talking about the man made economic side of things .

With it's response to Katrina , the government proved that it can't be relied upon to save you from everything that can happen . Remember the idiots shooting at the EMS workers , remember the rapes and murders at the Astro Dome ?

Take a lesson from nature , the animals stock up on food for a reason , they have to . We don't have to yet , but in a SHTF scenario we'll have to rely on ourselves and close friends .

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I married a girl who grew up on a farm. She grew up putting up food for emergencies and for the future. I agree with the women above. If you read about the Katrina experience together, about any natural disasters that imapct communities like tornadoes or floods, maybe it will start to make sense to her. WE prepare so we can take care of ourselves and HELP OTHERS. That reasoning may appeal to her also. Watch a movie called THE TRIGGER EFFECT, which shows a family dealing with unrest in LA after a blackout.

UNITED -if she is your wife, unprepared or not, you feed your kids, but you give her the last piece of bread you have before you eat. You are supposed to be the MAN.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Take a brown paper bag and fill it with fresh poo (your choice). Get an open backed fan and go to the garage: Turn on the fan and throw the bag full of poo into it. Tell you wife this is what SHTF will be like: very fast, dirty and down right nasty.

The above Katrina Video is sure scary. This is not Fiction my friends. When it happens to us, and it will if We don't do something soon, I sure hope we'll all will have ammo and firearms hidden out somewhere where the federal thugs can't get to them.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I got my fiancé to start thinking about it entirely by accident. I ordered the first season of Jericho on Netflix. She wasn't to keen on the premise at first, but eventually the more chick-friendly elements of the storyline drew her in and she was hooked after the first episode.
    After a few episodes, she was the one that suggested that something could happen, maybe not as bad, but in any case she thought we should be prepared for it.

Top Bottom