• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Thanks OP, for reinforcing my (irrational?) hatred of police. I have a funny field sobriety story. When I was younger I used to drink and drive all the time. Once I was so hammered that I was driving with one eye closed to keep from seeing double everything. I got pulled over and just knew I was going to get arrested for DUI, but I did my best to appear sober and took the field sobriety test requested by the cop. I passed with flying colors and he told me to be careful driving home. When I got back in my car, my buddy gave me an incredulous look and I just smiled and said that I guess the officer must have missed the field sobriety testing day at the acadamy.

To head off all the MADD responses. I don't drink and drive anymore. I'm not proud of drinking and driving. I am proud that I passed a field sobriety test while hammered.

Dude, you don't know jack.... Or Bo, for that matter.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Did I skip over where the OP mentioned that he took the advice of virtually everyone on here about lawyering up and deleting the post? ;)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would prefer if we were all held to the same high standard regardless of our profession [or lack there-of] but that's just me.

I am only speaking for those that I have known personally that have disdain for police and can't speak for anybody else including yourself :).

My guess is that if we had time to deal with it exhaustively, we probably take similar positions. My issues are as follows:

1. Many of the laws are not constitutionally defensible in the first place.

2. Police are officially excused from strictly following the law in the context of a good faith effort being considered satisfactory. No such leniency for the rest of us which is particularly irritating since we do not have the law as our exclusive professional interest.

3. Police often have malfeasance overlooked, at least until it becomes unbearable for those around them with the entire team from the chief down to the records clerk going to bat for them. The best I would get under otherwise identical circumstances would be 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' as I had the book thrown at me--the first time.

I have lived in a number of places in my travels with reviews on the police ranging from considering the police a greater threat than the criminals all the way to having enjoyed the services of one department in which I had complete confidence in terms of both efficiency and integrity (traits I would expect to be universal among police).

On the other hand:

1. It is not fair to tar all with a sweeping stroke of a broad brush. This can be a challenge especially in the context of having experiences which come down bad the majority of the time.

2. I still consider honest and dedicated police a treasure to be appreciated when I find them.

3. I understand that not only are JBTs more memorable in the fog of time, but they are also the examples most likely to, well, introduce themselves when one is travelling or in an unfamiliar place creating a general unfavorable impression which may or may not be the prevailing standard.

In the end, I will stand by the notion that holding the enforcers to a lower standard than the general population is a significant element of the rise of a tyranny, which is a major part of my concern with the matter. This can happen as a microcosm in a locality run by the less than honorable, or it can happen on a broader scale up to and including nationally. I would say that the pattern of malfeasance from the federal alphabet soup including and especially the ATF stands in evidence of this.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I personally have found that the more info I get from the horses mouth (police), the more I'm finding out I knew a lot less than I thought I did about the police and the hoops they have to jump through just to put truly guilty and bad people away.
    Yeah you can become overwhelmed by news of bad police actions if that's all you listen to. But really when you look at it in the bigger picture the incidents are few by comparison and highly frowned upon by cops if you truly ask a cop rather than listen to the biased news media who sells sensationalism.
    I think (call me a sucker) I actually have more and more respect for the individual officers rather than distrust the more I participate here. It's because they will tell you straight up if you wanna hear them with an open mind. Something I thought I always had but in reality I didn't.
    Yes I still believe in my rights, but that's just it, so do 99% of the police I think. Not once have I heard a cop here badmouth our right to keep our mouth shut. Actually I have seen some who advise it.
    Some if the outright hateful anti-authority post in this thread make me uncomfortable so I can only imagine how our resident Leo feel and they are our friends here guys. Instead of beating them down based on the acts of a few we should be building up the ones who do great. Some in this thread have no doubt saved innocent lives because of the drunks they pull off the street. I'm now seeing why it's called a thankless job. Everyone loves firefighters because you can see the lives they saved. But most of the times for cops we just take them for granted and don't realize what they really prevent. Well I think we would all quickly notice if they stopped showing up. I've seen places in the world where they don't or are too scared to go. But here in the u.s. there's places I am scared to go but the cops would be there on my behalf.
    This post will probably get laughed at and ridiculed and picked apart, but if it causes one person that was blinded like I was to maybe open their eyes and ears then its worth any negative rep or comments I get. I was wrong before but going forward I might still make a mistake but ill think before I open my mouth about things I only think I know based on crap facts.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Thanks OP, for reinforcing my (irrational?) hatred of police. I have a funny field sobriety story. When I was younger I used to drink and drive all the time. Once I was so hammered that I was driving with one eye closed to keep from seeing double everything. I got pulled over and just knew I was going to get arrested for DUI, but I did my best to appear sober and took the field sobriety test requested by the cop. I passed with flying colors and he told me to be careful driving home. When I got back in my car, my buddy gave me an incredulous look and I just smiled and said that I guess the officer must have missed the field sobriety testing day at the acadamy.

To head off all the MADD responses. I don't drink and drive anymore. I'm not proud of drinking and driving. I am proud that I passed a field sobriety test while hammered.

Well, uh, that's uh, something to be proud of I guess.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    not sure what to say other than wow.

You don't have to say anything. Since OP didn't take anyones advice and the thread has deteriorated, I'll share some more.

Here is another story involving my irresponsible behavior and the same police department. These incidents I'm relating took place about 20 years ago. Some friends and I had been drinking at a bar that was maybe 20 minutes from where we lived. Being irresponsible drunk idiots, we decided to race home. As we approached the exit, I was losing the race.

I have to try and give a description of the scene for this to make sense. To get from my apartment complex entrance from the highway exit ramp only required a left hand turn off the exit and 1/4 mile drive. But in between the exit and the apt complex was a hotel sitting up on a hill. The back of the hotel lot backed up against my apartment complex. There is about 200-300 yards of open ground and a hill between the hotel parking lot and my aprtment building.

Since I was losing the race, I decided to take the "shortcut" through the hotel lot and cut cross-country into my apartment complex. Lets just say that the open ground seemed a lot more even from a distance than it actually was. As we started to bump around violently my buddy in the passenger seat indicated that this might not be a good idea. I assured him that everything was OK since we were in a truck (early 90's basic Ford ranger). Well, I was LOL wrong and we got stuck out in the middle of the open field.

It seemed like only 30 seconds had passed when we were lit up by a police spotlight from the hotel parking lot. My buddy took off headed for my apartment which was only about 100-200 yards away. As the cops approached I was standing outside the truck, very drunk and missing a shoe that I had somehow lost in all the excitment.

The police questioned me for awhile, asking where my friend had gone (they had seen him take off apparently). They pointed out that my other friends (the ones who had won the race) where on my balcony watching the scene. They threatened to take me to jail because I was smarting off as drunks tend to do. After maybe 20 minutes the tow truck arrived and I was informed that the tow would cost $300 cash only. I didn't have $300 cash so a cop drove me to an ATM. I paid the tow truck driver, then he towed my car to my parking spot in front of my apartment and dropped me off.

Needless to say, my friends were amazed that I wasn't arrested. I'll never understand why not. My first thought was that the $300 was part tow payment and part bribe, but $300 split between the tow guy and 8 cops doesn't make much sense as a "bribe". Maybe it was just because we were on private property and the hotel didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I'll never know. What I do know now is that a basic two wheel drive 1990's ford ranger is not really an off-road vehicle.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    The OP would have stood a better chance at not being arrested if his name would have been Bisard or Kennedy <sarcasm off>.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    FYI - DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence. The "I" doesn't stand for Intoxicated. It could mean a variety of things. Not limited just to alcohol. :alcoholic:

Actually, the "I" does stand for "intoxicated".

IC 9-30-5
    Chapter 5. Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated

But yes, "intoxicated" includes more than alcohol.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nope. Come to work with me sometime and you'll understand better....

I assume you are referring to some of those, well, individuals, from whom you could just about catch something that won't scrub off by getting within 50 yards of them.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Not to sound like a jerk, but you're out $150 bail and $150 impound and were arrested because you admitted you have been breaking the law for the last 4 years. It's not like they ran you around for no reason.

As far as the wallet, this bothers me. If your wallet was taken from a secure place like your pocket by an officer and then left in an insecure place like an unlocked car with the windows down, does the officer bear some responsibility? It would seem like a liability issue no matter what other circumstances. I hope one of the officers here will weigh in on this.

Also, you said the blood results were negative, but medical personnel and officers have stated in this thread that it takes days if not weeks to get those results back...?

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I'll share some more.

I'll go ahead and say it. Shut up. We all did stupid things when we were young, but most of us realized by about age 17 that bragging about them makes you look like a giant douchbag. If you're trying to get to 50 posts, you might find that people don't want to deal with you by the time you do.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Not sure about your whole suspended license thingy, but if you were charged and arrested for DUI and the blood draw was negative I would think you have some kind of case regardless. But I have no idea what you were charged and booked for other than what you have told us here.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not sure about your whole suspended license thingy, but if you were charged and arrested for DUI and the blood draw was negative I would think you have some kind of case regardless. But I have no idea what you were charged and booked for other than what you have told us here.

You mean your clairvoyant powers aren't working today?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom