• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks for the answer (and the roundabout answer to why I was actually banned). I appreciate the reply.
    I'm not PMing anything. I'll consider it done.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    JetGirl you've been an INGOer longer than most.

I think your recent frustrations are more similar to Que's than you may think. Sure, you're on different sides of an imaginary aisle, but I think you're both feeling the same thing.

You and Que both love INGO, are both active here, and both have a vested emotional interest in it continuing. You both care.

Unfortunately you both seem a bit burned out and that has shown up here recently.

Rather than making rash decisions (like resigning as Mod) or making illogical leaps (Rules. No rules. Screw it. Nobody needs to know.) I think you two would be better served by cooling off and reevaluating your positions. Put some sleep between yourselves and this issue.

Are there things the Mod Staff could do to be more efficient, fair, and balanced? Probably.

Are there ways the general membership could bring these up and have a reasonable dialog with the policy makers? Probably.

But I don't think this thread is that vehicle. If we all agree that we want INGO to continue and we all agree that it will take Moderators to make it do so, let's find a better and more reasonable way to work with the INGO Staff at making that happen. Let's give them the space and opportunity to work our their staffing issues, and let's be available with our questions, comments, and ideas when and where it's appropriate. Let's offer our help and our support, knowing that in the end we all want the same thing.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    "Backed into a corner" for asking if moderators operate within set rules or guidelines for their actions? Come on.

Seriously.

You mistook the meaning of my reply. You asked him some pointed questions that would force him to take a side. He chose to remain neutral. Am I making sense? I hope so, because it makes sense to me...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Backed into a corner and you still remain neutral.

"Backed into a corner" for asking if moderators operate within set rules or guidelines for their actions? Come on.

Seriously.

You mistook the meaning of my reply. You asked him some pointed questions that would force him to take a side. He chose to remain neutral. Am I making sense? I hope so, because it makes sense to me...

Corner's not a good place to be.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just before you posted, I did say I'll consider it done.

I look forward to your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions on how to solve the larger matter that's been raised. I'm sure the Mods would be all for having easier and more efficient duties.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I look forward to your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions on how to solve the larger matter that's been raised. I'm sure the Mods would be all for having easier and more efficient duties.
    Some of the ideas and suggestions so far were pretty much on a good track.
    Have a guideline for what is a bannable offense and what is not. Let the members know (via sticky or faq).
    Don't moderate a discussion you're participating in, especially if it's heated.
    Use a warning system. (Warning/infraction/ban).
    Simple stuff like that. Easy enough for everyone to understand where the "lines" are, etc.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Some of the ideas and suggestions so far were pretty much on a good track.
    Have a guideline for what is a bannable offense and what is not. Let the members know (via sticky or faq).
    Don't moderate a discussion you're participating in, especially if it's heated.
    Use a warning system. (Warning/infraction/ban).
    Simple stuff like that. Easy enough for everyone to understand where the "lines" are, etc.

I think we pretty much all know what we will be banned for. I don't agree with all of it but it's not my site. I do agree unless the offense is just crazy it would be nice to have a warning before ban.
    I absolutely agree Mods should not moderate a thread they are participating in. I left the site for nearly a year when something similar happened me. Debating back and forth with a mod and then same mod in the debate banned me and posted about it in thread. I would not have nearly so PO'ed if another mod would have came in for the ban. Just seemed inappropriate.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Simple stuff like that.

Oh as a former Mod I can tell you that your list, while all great ideas, are nowhere near "simple". Simple to understand, perhaps, but not so simple to roll out and enforce.

Why? Because of the Rookie Priniciple. You guys are all familiar with the Rookie Prinicple, right? Or is that just an INGO Mod thing? :):

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh as a former Mod I can tell you that your list, while all great ideas, are nowhere near "simple". Simple to understand, perhaps, but not so simple to roll out and enforce.

Why? Because of the Rookie Priniciple. You guys are all familiar with the Rookie Prinicple, right? Or is that just an INGO Mod thing? :):
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ok I'll pull the curtain back a bit here and let you in on the Rookie Principle. Look for more in my tell-all book, coming next year.

The Rookie Principle

noun

1. The primary principle used by INGO Moderators when devising new policy for INGunOwners.com.

2. A filter for testing new proposed policy.

3. The principle that states: Before a new policy is fully formed, one must first attempt to skirt every possible violation by twisting words and applying various forms of logic to said policy. Only once every possible avenue of violation has been explored can a new policy be implemented. If the wording of the policy allows for any wiggle room that might be extorted by one Rookie of INGunOwners.com then such a policy should be revised or discarded. Narrow policies that seek to define strict and well defined lines are easiest to defeat and therefore should be avoided.

You may have used a version of this principle when you were deciding what to name your children so you tried to think of every possible way their peers in school would try to contort their name into something humorous.

;)

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I didn't!
    I figured actually SAYING what could be done (or swearing or personally attacking or other) would get a ban, and that's why I DIDN'T.
    You didn't in this instance. Your ban was also lifted and the mod that banned you said he was wrong. Certainly not the normal scenario.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom