• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Today I spent the morning with my parents at the St Francis Hospital Heart Center on the south side of Indy. My father had a procedure done and I helped get him home. When he was discharged, I went to pull his vehicle around to the front door. I got out of the vehicle and waited for them to wheel him out keeping one eye on the car and watching for my father with the other. I had the keys with me. I saw a man, rather small build and looked like maybe he just got off of a Harley which is OK with me. I don't care what people look like and I say hello to pretty much anyone I make eye contact with. He walked by and I smiled and said hello and he smiled back but something just didn't seem right in my gut. He was carrying a folder tucked under his arm. In between the folder and his body, I saw what looked to be a rather large Buck knife in a leather sheath. I've had those kind of knives before and I know what I saw. It just seemed totally out of place to me. Oddly enough, if he were OC a gun, it would not have bothered me, but that knife, especially one that big did not seem right. I see people with small knives clipped to their belt or pocket all the time which is no big deal. I don't know what the law is concerning big knives like that but I decided to play it safe and let somebody know.

I told the young lady at the reception desk and suggested she call security. Another lady came up behind the desk and almost argued that he probably worked there and the knife was one of his tools. I said he did not have an employee badge or any other tools. I saw the man disappear as he walked down a hallway and turn a corner.

My fear was, and still is that maybe he was going to try to steal some drugs or something. My wife is a nurse and she has tole me all kinds of stories about people desperate to get drugs. I was not afraid myself, and there was nothing more than suspicion. I was CC at the time, as I always am, but I did not have time to stay around because my father was being loaded in the car.

Later, after we got to my parent's home, I called security at St Francis and they were highly interested. I described myself and the other guy and they quickly were able to find us on their video. They could not make out the knife yet but said he would check other cameras as he was moving around. Oddly enough, the girls at the desk never called security which he was not happy about.

I think I did the right thing. At least I did what I felt was right. I would never raise an alarm about OC, or CC, or a small knife but this just seemed odd. I hope I do not hear about anything on the news tonight.

I would have been more compfortable if he had a gun. At least that way I would assume he had a LTCH and therefore not a criminal type.

BTW, I did not see any no firearms or weapons signs there.

Wine Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Tough call. It's easy to feel hypocritical on the other end of reporting weapons.

I'd consider it a learning experience on gut reaction police calls on MWAG situations.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We weren't there, so it's hard for me to make a judgement of whether or not you did the right thing. This incident could serve to provide a little insight for you as to why people call in MWAG complaints.:dunno:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sometimes it's not what you're carrying but how.

Knife in a sheath on a belt? No worries. Knife hidden (poorly) under a folder under an arm? Concerning.

Gun in a holster on a belt? Yay! Gun sloppily carried Mexican in pants hanging down around their knees? Red flag for several different reasons, concern for Plaxico syndrome first.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I was at a shoot last weekend and a few were carrying 8" knives and I thought nothing of it. If knives were your defense weapon of choice, maybe you'd thought twice about informing security.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sometimes it's not what you're carrying but how.

Knife in a sheath on a belt? No worries. Knife hidden (poorly) under a folder under an arm? Concerning.

Gun in a holster on a belt? Yay! Gun sloppily carried Mexican in pants hanging down around their knees? Red flag for several different reasons, concern for Plaxico syndrome first.

I been too generous to rep you, but that was far more fun description of what I meant. :draw:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I was at a shoot last weekend and a few were carrying 8" knives and I thought nothing of it. If knives were your defense weapon of choice, maybe you'd thought twice about informing security.

At a shoot, I guess anything goes, but this was a heart hospital. There are a lot of patients that do not need to get excited. The guy may have been within the law, but it was in extremely bad taste. Anybody know what the law is? I do not spend much time on the knife forum.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    How does this differ than the MWAG calls that we read about on here until our eyes bleed? Everybody gets all up in arms (no pun intended) when a someone calls security or LEO on a person OC'ing or even CC'ing.

This is not directed towards you TT. I cannot say you did the right thing or not. Have to look at all the curcumstances. I usually say trust your gut - but I do not know if your gut is trustworthy. If he would have been dressed differently would that have mattered? Besides the knife, what made him out of place?

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    At a shoot, I guess anything goes, but this was a heart hospital. There are a lot of patients that do not need to get excited. The guy may have been within the law, but it was in extremely bad taste. Anybody know what the law is? I do not spend much time on the knife forum.

Yeah, but this was a heart hospital - who needs to carry a gun... just sayin'

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I understand the whole trust your gut thing and can't fault you for that, but I don't see any need to call security. He was carrying a knife. Could you have asked him why he chose to carry a large knife?:dunno: You did say he smiled back as you both exchanged hellos. Would you be upset if maybe he saw you printing and was thinking the same thing? Look at this guy just hanging out by the entrance with a gun. It's all about perception and he did nothing wrong.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    How does this differ than the MWAG calls that we read about on here until our eyes bleed? Everybody gets all up in arms (no pun intended) when a someone calls security or LEO on a person OC'ing or even CC'ing.

This is not directed towards you TT. I cannot say you did the right thing or not. Have to look at all the curcumstances. I usually say trust your gut - but I do not know if your gut is trustworthy. If he would have been dressed differently would that have mattered? Besides the knife, what made him out of place?

I don't think it was the way he dressed or looked that bothered me. I did not have time to interact with him more or investigate because I had to take care of my father. It just seemed totally out of place. It was not the type of knife I would think someone would carry for protection. I just decided that I would trust my gut feeling. I was probably more situational aware than most in the area. He was not hanging around and seemed to be walking with a purpose. He probably knew where he was going.

I am not the type who wold call in a MWAG just because I saw a gun in public, but that knife threw me for a loop.

I wish I had the video to show.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I started laughing while reading this post. If the guy carrying the folder hiding the knife looked like a little oompa loompa biker dude then trust me he is one of the nicest guys there. I work in the engineering department there and he is a contractor doing insulation work for us. His name's Kurt and he'd do anything for you! He is a sight to see though!!!

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I don't think it was the way he dressed or looked that bothered me. I did not have time to interact with him more or investigate because I had to take care of my father. It just seemed totally out of place. It was not the type of knife I would think someone would carry for protection. I just decided that I would trust my gut feeling. I was probably more situational aware than most in the area. He was not hanging around and seemed to be walking with a purpose. He probably knew where he was going.

I am not the type who wold call in a MWAG just because I saw a gun in public, but that knife threw me for a loop.

I wish I had the video to show.

I just do not understand how the knife made him look out of place but a gun would not. Take "knife" and replace it with "gun" and people would be calling Cochran for representation.

I would hope that if he seemed "totally out of place" but it was not the way he dressed or looked, that you would have notified if he a gun. What bothered you if it was not the way he looked or was dressed?

Something just does not sit right with me on this one...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just do not understand how the knife made him look out of place but a gun would not. Take "knife" and replace it with "gun" and people would be calling Cochran for representation.

I would hope that if he seemed "totally out of place" but it was not the way he dressed or looked, that you would have notified if he a gun. What bothered you if it was not the way he looked or was dressed?

Something just does not sit right with me on this one...
    I would'nt be calling Cochran.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I started laughing while reading this post. If the guy carrying the folder hiding the knife looked like a little oompa loompa biker dude then trust me he is one of the nicest guys there. I work in the engineering department there and he is a contractor doing insulation work for us. His name's Kurt and he'd do anything for you! He is a sight to see though!!!

Kurt needs to start a thread titled something like "My CC knife experience"

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville

If that is the case, please tell him I apologize.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom