I hope I am wrong, but is this hammer cocked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Touche'

Please forgive me as I have delved into a kettle of the very proficient in regards to frames/actions/accessories and the resultant proper way to handle/carry.

I will give myself some credit for learning a few things here today.

Still liking the G's, and thinking that the environment that I exist in doesn't require old west gun fighter skills of draw and shoot, thus the empty chamber carry on my behalf. When it does, I'm moving out.

Glocks, and almost all modern striker fired pistols, are plenty safe as long as you keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot (4 rules are always in play).
    Also, a good friend and I both carried on empty chambers for a few weeks when we had freshly received our LTCHs -- it made us feel more comfortable, so that's what worked. After a couple weeks, I felt comfortable enough to start carrying loaded. But, yes, the other posts are correct that you really should carry on a loaded chamber since that extra second to rack the first round in might not be available.
    With modern semi-autos (especially striker fired like Glocks, M&Ps, Ruger SRs, FN FNSs, etc.) you'll just need to keep the trigger covered.

Some people even pocket carry a Glock 26 - a little heavy for my tastes - but they use a trigger guard cover like the one from raven concealment and it is very safe. However, just pocket carrying or carrying in waistband a Glock without some type of trigger cover is just a recipe for disaster.

p.s. I like this runaway thread.
    ... I'll add one more thing: BACON

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Off topic, but please define the conditions.... I was under the impression it was equivalent of the actions needed to fire, so condition 1 would mean just pull the trigger. Condition 2 would be click the saftey, pull the trigger.

The 1911 conditions, as defined by Col. Jeff Cooper (also known for the 4 gun safety rules) are listed here. Condition 1 (aka cocked-and-locked) is how most 1911s are carried:
    The Sight 1911 Conditions of Readiness Page

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
    Condition 1 – Also known as “cocked and locked,” means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
    Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
    Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
    Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Now I am insulted.

I saw something that I did not understand and have the stones to stand up and say teach me. I have learned here today, even at my grouchy old age.

And you??

no worries, just ignore the peanut gallery.
    I learned volumes of info on here in my first month of joining.
    Sit back, enjoy, and don't feed the troll. :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Now I am insulted.

I saw something that I did not understand and have the stones to stand up and say teach me. I have learned here today, even at my grouchy old age.

And you??

Don't worry about a few of our members. You had a good question and you're trying to find an answer. I'm glad your asking questions.

Don't let them bother you. If the mods think you're on a run to 50, they will take care of it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Also, a good friend and I both carried on empty chambers for a few weeks when we had freshly received our LTCHs -- it made us feel more comfortable, so that's what worked. After a couple weeks, I felt comfortable enough to start carrying loaded. But, yes, the other posts are correct that you really should carry on a loaded chamber since that extra second to rack the first round in might not be available.

While those more experienced ridicule it carrying on an empty chamber for a few weeks to develop a comfort level makes sense. When I first started carrying a Sig P238 it looked scary cocked and locked and I needed some personal time to get comfortable despite all the things I read on the internet. After about a month carrying "cocked and locked" on an empty chamber I was ready to carry in Condition 1. During that whole first month carrying the hammer never fell as the safety was engaged and I kept my finger off the trigger. Totally agree that you should carry with a loaded chamber but if you need a little time to get comfortable first then do it.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Now I am insulted.

And you??

It's just a guess. If not true, I have been wrong plenty.... Just postulating after seeing the post count near 30 with flury of new posts in a new thread. The assumption must be understood

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's just a guess. If not true, I have been wrong plenty.... Just postulating after seeing the post count near 30 with flury of new posts in a new thread. The assumption must be understood
    I thought the same. There are plenty of examples where it was true.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Welcome to INGO 307SD! Overall, it's a great place to ask questions as long as you have a good sense of humor with some folks. Sooner or later, you'll figure out what the topics are the get a rise out of some people. You managed to touch on two of them in this thread. First, the topic of how to carry is almost always guaranteed to get some folks spooled up. Then, the Glock vs. 1911 debate is sure to wind them up. As far as I can tell, the only reason for those two topics to get people wound up is that both represent very personal decisions that are often criticized by others. The condition of carry tends to evolve as people get used to carrying and a lot of us started out with an empty chamber, even if only for a week or so. Once folks get comfortable shooting, they realize just how safe a gun is and lose their fear of carrying with a round chambered.

The whole Glock vs. 1911 thing is a bit different. The internet is full of Glock owners that look at 1911 owners as out of touch Luddites that are stuck in a different century. They usually start their posts with some form of insult to 1911 carriers mental capacity. The 1911 carriers look at the Glock fan boys as a bunch of wanna-be ninja's that feel like they need at least 50 rounds of ammo on them before they exit their bedroom every morning. They shake their heads sadly as Glock carrier after Glock carrier shoots themselves while cleaning or holstering guns and wonder why someone would carry something with so little soul that even the original designer got bored and stopped working on the design once the basic square shape was drawn. Good thing you did not bring up the CZs. Those folks are so focused on their choice in guns that they even abandon other threads so they can reserve their own spot on the web site. They are plain sick I say! There's a term for it, but I don't recall it right now.

Anyway, welcome to INGO and don't worry too much about stepping on toes here. Most of us are nothing, if not passionate about what we carry and how we carry them.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Thanks Tim. Much appreciate your input and comments. Sometimes it's difficult to remember to put a persons big boy pants on, a couple extra layers of skin, plus a gas mask before entering the arena. (lol)

But I do appreciate the positive responses, and a couple of the snipes, that we have collected here today.

velociraptor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    Jurassic Park
    This is what I saw when I clicked the link. It doesn't look like a 1911 to me.
    yn1bRpg.jpg

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    The picture that Velociraptor quotes is in the beginning of the vid, if you will notice the hammer seems to be in condition 1, possibly 0, dependent upon the carrier. I noticed this as I reviewed the vid before my op, however I felt the sig at 36 to 40 seconds was a more defined specimen. And all this regardless of the frame style.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The picture that Velociraptor quotes is in the beginning of the vid, if you will notice the hammer seems to be in condition 1, possibly 0, dependent upon the carrier. I noticed this as I reviewed the vid before my op, however I felt the sig at 36 to 40 seconds was a more defined specimen. And all this regardless of the frame style.

Where you concerned because it was a SIG carried cocked? Or any gun carried like that?
    I have known of people who did not know Sig made guns other than the TDO ( DA/SA) hammer drop only guns.. ( P226, P228, P220, P225.....) And those guns would be a slight ( very slight ) risk if carried hammer back.. since they have no grip or thumb safety..
    But Sig does make versions of the gun that are SAO and have a thumb safety..

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Where you concerned because it was a SIG carried cocked? Or any gun carried like that?
    I have known of people who did not know Sig made guns other than the TDO ( DA/SA) hammer drop only guns.. ( P226, P228, P220, P225.....) And those guns would be a slight ( very slight ) risk if carried hammer back.. since they have no grip or thumb safety..
    But Sig does make versions of the gun that are SAO and have a thumb safety..
    Yep. I had a Sig P220 SAS that was SAO with a thumb safety.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Still liking the G's, and thinking that the environment that I exist in doesn't require old west gun fighter skills of draw and shoot, thus the empty chamber carry on my behalf. When it does, I'm moving out.

How do you feel about the effectiveness of .25 when delivered to the ear canal?

Top Bottom