I hope I am wrong, but is this hammer cocked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    Printcraft, thank you. That was a life changing revelation. All the money and ammo spent on training. All I needed was a .25! I'm selling everything and getting a .25 for every pocket! Seriously though, I understand. Empty chamber to get comfortable starting out, I get it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I carried on an empty chamber when I first got my LTCH and started carrying. After I had gotten used to the gun and how it worked, I had no problem carrying "cocked and locked".

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Walking about with the hammer cocked? Might just be me, but I wouldn't do it. Unsafe?

I don't know, thus I ask the forums input. Thank you.

I have carried one like that for decades. On many guns with safe action triggers, if the trigger gets pulled the gun is going to fire because there are no safeties you actually consciously disengage. With a 1911, the gun must be gripped, the manual safety disengaged, and the trigger pressed. This seems much safer to me. :dunno:

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    /Rant on/

I don't buy the concept of the "accidental discharge". I DO buy the concept of the negligent discharge. The whole line of reasoning that "it just went off" is a line of crap that unfortunately, some people believe out of ignorance of how firearms work. This is especially true when dealing with modern handguns. Almost anything you can buy has active manual safeties, and passive safeties as well. Even in striker fired pistols with no manual safeties, there is a succession of events that need to mechanically happen in order in order to make the weapon fire. Mechanically, you have to pull the trigger.

The 1911, even in it's original form without the firing pin safety is completely safe to carry cocked and locked. The Glock is also safe to carry loaded because it's really only half-cocked after racking the slide. The act of deliberately and willfully pulling the trigger completes the cocking process while simultaneously deactivating the passive internal safeties. In short, there's metal in the way.

If it was as easy as bumping the gun on the side to get it to fire, we'd all be scared of them. It's a scandalous lie that they're just sitting there in the holster... waiting on you to bump into a stranger so it can maliciously launch a round into your foot.

The HK has been mentioned in this thread as well. I have carried an HK USP variant 1 for years cocked and locked. I have also carried CZ82's, Star PD's, and Browning Hi-Powers all cocked and locked and they do not even have the vaunted "grip safety" which is the only thing I do not like about the 1911 design. It's a silly addition demanded by nervous customers at the time. (Read: the government). The older versions of the .45 auto JMB designed did not include it. It's much the same story as why the Hi-Power is still saddled with the magazine safety. (Thanks France).

Carry whatever you have fully loaded. If it has a safety, use it. /Rant off/.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Thegeek

Off topic, but please define the conditions.... I was under the impression it was equivalent of the actions needed to fire, so condition 1 would mean just pull the trigger. Condition 2 would be click the saftey, pull the trigger.

The 1911 conditions, as defined by Col. Jeff Cooper (also known for the 4 gun safety rules) are listed here. Condition 1 (aka cocked-and-locked) is how most 1911s are carried:
    The Sight 1911 Conditions of Readiness Page

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
    Condition 1 – Also known as “cocked and locked,” means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
    Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
    Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
    Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Wait a minute, how can Col. Coop have a condition 4 or 5 if all guns are always loaded ?? :):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is what I saw when I clicked the link. It doesn't look like a 1911 to me.
    yn1bRpg.jpg

In case no one else covered it, this is an H&K USP which can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, though if it has a hammer spur, and this one does, it is SA/DA and can be carried safely with the hammer down as well.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I can somewhat understand the OP's concern. I mean, if that is a .45 1911 (as God intended), there's a real risk of soul-robbing from people who might get too close to it in that carry-condition.

Because the children.

I was thinking the same thing. The sheer awesomeness of a cocked and ready 1911 has caused entire divisions to surrender to the nearest Red White and Blue colored object. Its real. I'll google it later for evidence..

I think if they sent special forces to the DMZ in Korea with 1911s cocked and ready that Kim would surrender the North tomorrow.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

True story, I took a report on a guy who was protecting his daughter from a stalker ex boyfriend. Boyfriend catches up with dad and daughter in a store lot, and dad trays to drive away. Boyfriend attacks dad through the window, dad pulls our gun, and "click" doesn't fire. Seatbelt caught in-between hammer, preventing it from firing. I've never thought highly of those types of weapons since.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What did Augie Mendenhall have in the bag? I think that was a jam/misfeed, though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What did Augie Mendenhall have in the bag? I think that was a jam/misfeed, though.

Was that the name? I only remembered two things from that case: the daughter took her clothes off for a living, and the seatbelt caught on the hammer of dad's gun.

Top Bottom