• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I had a job interview today. The interview was going really well when a certain question came up. The question was "are you a gun enthusiast?" I was quite shocked at first and I asked that she define "gun enthusiast." She asked me if I collected firearms, own any guns, or carryed a firearm. I informed her that I owned some firearms for various uses. I told her that I was a hunter and I do have some sporting firearms. I was then asked by the second interviewer if a carry a firearm. I informed them I had a life time permit to carry a handgun. This is needed to hunt with a handgun. I further explained that all ten of my digits were finger printed and I was background checked with my prints on file at the state and federal level. This was very weird and I do believe I will not get the job. I do believe that it really is non of there business for asking me a question like that.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I had a job interview today. The interview was going really well when a certain question came up. The question was "are you a gun enthusiast?" I was quite shocked at first and I asked that she define "gun enthusiast." She asked me if I collected firearms, own and guns, or carryed a firearm. I informed her that I owned some firearms for various uses. I told her that I was a hunter and I do have some sporting firearms. I was then asked by the second interviewer if a carry a firearm. I informed them I had a life time permit to carry a handgun. This is needed to hunt with a handgun. I further explained that all ten of my digits were finger printed and I was background check with my prints on file at the state and federal level. This was very weird and I do believe I will not get the job. I do believe that it really is non of there business for asking me a question like that.

Do you mind sharing the company name? I think that is very odd.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did the question have any relevance to the position applied for?

If not, I would've said "I don't understand the question".

Z350Godfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Southside Indy
    it shouldn't be any of their business at all. that's like them asking if you have a hobby of rubbing one out every night before you go to bed and enjoy it? it's none of their business if i do or not. but maybe i do... ha ha.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I don't want you to name the business, but what TYPE of business do they do?
    This is a machine tool company. They do tool and die and other engineering design work. I did call the NRA about it and they told me that people are asked those questions but not very often. I just wonder if they have had a problem in the past with an irresponsible employee.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would have had to politely tell them that it was none of their business. I am not in the habit of giving strangers who have my address on an application that kind of information.

RH

Which is another way of saying "yes". The trick is to deflect the question without giving them any information that they could use to deny you a job offer. And "none of your business" is another way of saying "this interview is over".

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I'd venture to say that these interviewers may have broken the law (ianal). This article 30 Interview Questions You Can't Ask and 30 Sneaky, Legal Alternatives to Get the Same Info - HR World gives examples of questions interviewers are not allowed to ask. If an interviewer is not allowed to ask about political, club, or social affiliations, I'm sure that the questions you were asked would be out of bounds, as well.
    You may be right if they use it against me. I'm not going to press the issue. I may turn the job down for the sake of principle. The interview was very pleasent and they did not have a condeming attitude.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    it shouldn't be any of their business at all. that's like them asking if you have a hobby of rubbing one out every night before you go to bed and enjoy it? it's none of their business if i do or not. but maybe i do... ha ha.

I know I do! Can't think of a better way to end the day when the wife's not home from work yet!:D

You may be right if they use it against me. I'm not going to press the issue. I may turn the job down for the sake of principle. The interview was very pleasent and they did not have a condeming attitude.

I know it is a shot in the dark, but maybe they wanted to know if you would educate their sorry arses on the proper handling of firearms, or even better yet, if you had some spare ammo that they could go to the range with?????? :): Gotta look at the bright side........

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Did the question have any relevance to the position applied for?

If not, I would've said "I don't understand the question".

They do have an aerospace component to their facility. So, I do not know if I would need a security clearance or not. However, I do not know if those questions are relevant to the clearance or not. This is a large international company that has a machine tool and engineering design at this facility.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    All questions should pertain to the job they need filled and your qualifications to fill it. From you description of the company, I can't imagine that firearms ownership is relevant.

Asking that interview question is unprofessional and wrong! :xmad:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "Yeah, I've got a couple of my grandfather's old shotguns. They're not in very good condition, but I enjoy tinkering with them to see if I can fix them up."

For me, that's 100% true.

It's not, however, 100% OF the truth.

-J-

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Unfortunately, its the employer's who have the advantage
    with double digit unemployment.
    Applying for a job during these times will incur all types of new questions.

While the OP may not get this job, it does make him and
    others aware of what to expect before their next interview.

Verbal responses to verbal questions is not the
    same being honest on an written application.

My response would be no Passion for guns. But if I found a deep
    desire for handguns a week after I acquired the job.......well it happens.

Top Bottom