• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    As a small business owner, I know that you can't ask about the EEOC protected groups. Gun ownership or carry is not a protected class so it is fair game in an interview.

However, discrimination is legal. We all discriminate every day. To discriminate is to choose one thing over another. The biggest group that I discriminate against in my hiring decisions is stupid people. I swear it's amazing some people can get out of bed and breath in the morning.

As for the OP, it is an unusual question. Hope everything works out for you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    BTW, if you end up continuing your job search, you should Google "illegal job interview questions," and make sure you're prepared with strategies for dealing with them during your next interview. The types of things that cannot be asked is broader than most people think. However, many such questions can be rephrased so as to be acceptable to ask. Furthermore, many questions are not illegal to ask per se, but it would be illegal to make a hiring decision based on the answers to such questions.

As with most things the government gets involved with, it's complicated.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Shoot, if I had been interviewing you there would have been an hour conversation on the best carry gun. Then, after you had the job, I would have hitting you up to borrow some guns, primers, or dies, something to to try out before buying.;)

sunspot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2008
    Warsaw
    Although it would be unusual to do a background check before the interview, I wonder if they did do one and your carry permit came up in the check ?, they may have gone ahead and done the interview just to see what a gun toting redneck looks like, I hope you will keep us all posted on the outcome, (hired, rejection letter, no response, etc).
    Good luck in your job quest, it's tough out there !!

John

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Which is another way of saying "yes". The trick is to deflect the question without giving them any information that they could use to deny you a job offer. And "none of your business" is another way of saying "this interview is over".

Yes. Which is why the one time I was asked such during an interview, that's pretty much what I said. "Thank you for your time, but I've just lost interest in working for you." A job interview is the opportunity for BOTH parties to evaluate each other. I just wouldn't do well at a company that thought they had the right to get in my business that much.

Now, my interests are often part of my cover letter. If an employer loses interest in me because of that, we've both saved each other some time.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I believe such checks BEFORE the offer to hire would violate privacy law without prior written notice and consent from the applicant; at least they would be if they included a credit/consumer reporting agency, which they often do.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The question was "are you a gun enthusiast?"

Possible answers:

How does that apply to this position?

Why are you asking?

I've never considered owning a gun. (Because it's a foregone conclusion! :D )

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm hopeful that the company likes gun owners and just wants you to fit in with the other machinists. Let us know.

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I think it would be a mistake to lie in the interview as this could be a firing offense later even if there are bogus reasons to fire you.
    I appreciate you letting us know about this question as I can now think up a mostly true answer for my next interview.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Which is another way of saying "yes". The trick is to deflect the question without giving them any information that they could use to deny you a job offer. And "none of your business" is another way of saying "this interview is over".

Or say no with a smile if you think it might cost you the job.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Or say no with a smile if you think it might cost you the job.

Well, that's kind of the point of the OP's question, isn't it? He doesn't know why they wanted to know, and so he doesn't know what answer they're looking for. If he answers honestly, he runs the risk of killing his opportunity for a job offer if it turns out they're rabidly anti-gun. At the same time, if they're very "pro", they may not want him if he says "no". That's why I suggested gently deflecting the question with a non-committal answer that says "I'm aware of guns and have been around them, but I have no strong feelings either way".

Again, the goal is to get the job offer, and then you can decide whether to take it or not. YOU be the one to steer the conversation, not them.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I think the questions were a trap. They had probably already run a public records search and knew that you had a permit and you might be uncomfortable about answering honestly. It only follows that if you need a handgun permit, then you own a handgun. It also follows if you answer evasively then you might not have the best of intentions. They were testing your integrity and really didn't care about the guns at all. They wanted to see if they could catch you in a lie!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think the questions were a trap. They had probably already run a public records search and knew that you had a permit and you might be uncomfortable about answering honestly. It only follows that if you need a handgun permit, then you own a handgun. It also follows if you answer evasively then you might not have the best of intentions. They were testing your integrity and really didn't care about the guns at all. They wanted to see if they could catch you in a lie!

If that's the case, then I would second Joe Williams' sentiment about terminating the interview. That's a deceitful and despicable practice and I wouldn't care to work for someone who would use that as an interview tactic.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I've always found honesty to be the best policy. It's a lot easier to remember the truth than the 100 or so different lies one tells.

Besides...if a prospective employer has a problem with firearms ownership, then Eff 'em.

I don't wanna work for them anyhow.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I've always found honesty to be the best policy. It's a lot easier to remember the truth than the 100 or so different lies one tells.

Besides...if a prospective employer has a problem with firearms ownership, then Eff 'em.

I don't wanna work for them anyhow.

Telling the truth is always best but if you need a job (as I do) you will have to follow the employers rules!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is a machine tool company. They do tool and die and other engineering design work. I did call the NRA about it and they told me that people are asked those questions but not very often. I just wonder if they have had a problem in the past with an irresponsible employee.

May be they just had an incident with some one thinking their carry permit comes with a right away across private property where ever they feel like going.

Most people smart enough to run a business tend to take steps not to make the same mistakes over and over.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I had a job interview today. The interview was going really well when a certain question came up. The question was "are you a gun enthusiast?"

I'm looking for a job at this time. I don't feel I have the time or funds to waste on hobbies and "enthusiast" type pursuits while I am unemployed or under employed. If the job entails some type of firearms expertise I could easily become enthusiastic about them comensurate with the wages associated with the expertise required.

Top Bottom