• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So j706 is a police office? Just reading some of the other posts. Wow. I have the up most respect for LEO's so i would like to hear the reasoning and then form my conclusion but as it stands now...i really am at a disbelief that an LEO would feel this way.

I assume he is from some of his other posts on the forum, but I could be wrong. I should have asked rather than stated, but I do believe that he is and addressed him as such.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    So j706 is a police office? Just reading some of the other posts. Wow. I have the up most respect for LEO's so i would like to hear the reasoning and then form my conclusion but as it stands now...i really am at a disbelief that an LEO would feel this way.

I'm going to guess j706 is of the belief only LEO's should have their firearm seen. The same LEO's that ask OCers to cover up. They think only they should handle conflicts, even if there is no way for them to be there in time to save your life. I don't know, maybe they are afraid that if the general public gets over their fear of seeing a gun, then the cops won't have as much intimidation muscle.

As for the OP, I'm joining the choir in saying I'd probably do the same. Only difference in my case is I OC, which would've probably kept the possible bad guys at bay so I wouldn't even have to mess with them coming near me. I can understand your hesitancy about not calling the police after the incident since you probably weren't sure if you were in the right. You reacted to preserve your life, whether it was a legal thing to do or not. I would advise to call the store and inform them at least, for the safety of other patrons.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I'm in agreement with drawing to diffuse what was described to be a no win situation.

I thought that was the whole reason for having personal protection,
    to diffuse or stop a threat.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    WWACD in this sitaution?

(What Would a Cop Do?)

Three unknowns come from behind a dumpster and rush a cop at his car as he enters, one at the driver's door two on the passenger side.

Go.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Excellent step by step breakdown and analysis of the situation by Bushido Devil Dog. It really highlighted what seemed to be pretty typical predator behavior.

Very dangerous situation-if the guys attacked, even with his pistol drawn, it could have gotten very dicey for OP with 3 on 1, from two sides, at such close quarters.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I'm going to guess j706 is of the belief only LEO's should have their firearm seen. The same LEO's that ask OCers to cover up. They think only they should handle conflicts, even if there is no way for them to be there in time to save your life. I don't know, maybe they are afraid that if the general public gets over their fear of seeing a gun, then the cops won't have as much intimidation muscle.

Well, if j706 does turn out to be a LEO, it would behoove him to study up, because in this case, he certainly did not know what the statute states.

Either way Chubbs, you get props from me. You couldn't give a "officer needs assistance" call out on your radio. You were alone, and confronted by three that were up to no good. I can only hope I would have done as well in the same circumstances.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Given j706's reply to this I'm hoping he didn't read the OP's post all the way through or completely understand it.

Otherwise he may be related to Fort Wayne's Rusty York....:rolleyes:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I guess some would want you to wait until you were actually stabbed or shot before you reacted. For me or my loved ones, that would be a few seconds too late. Good job IMO.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Multiple individuals, closing distance from multiple angle, at night, from an area where nobody would normally be = righteous draw IMHO

THIS /\ /\.

Years back I was out driving around with my cousin in his corvette.
    We pulled into a village pantry (late at night) so he could get some smokes.
    (the same village pantry where in another thread we discussed the tool that shot himself in the
    manhood while he attempted to rob the said village pantry)

I was in the car waiting and he went into the vp to get his stuff. He walks back
    out and 3 guys walk out from around the corner of the building and 1 immediately
    goes toward him and the other two walk around the back of the car
    to the passenger sided rear quarter directly behind my door.
    He starts asking for money and gets angry when my cousin says no.
    #1 starts getting loud and beligerent and the "why not man" starts getting brought out.
    My .45 came out of the holster and was across my lap. Was not pointed at anyone but just holding it.
    Well the other 2 must have been watching me because they moved off and
    gave #1 the get the blank out of there talk.

Common sense showed they were up to no good.
    (you can flame me but I don't care)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I went to a differnt liquor store than usual, bad idea. After buying my case of beer and talking the usual talk with the guy behind the counter i headed out the door. As i came out to head to the jeep two mexicans came out from the north of me from behind a dumpster. One yelled Hey, and followed that by something i didn't understand. I just kept walking east to my jeep(about 20 yards), at that time i hear that voice in my head and look behind me to see another mexican coming from the south side of the building which is not lit well. He's moving in fast, so i put a little spring in my step to get to the jeep before them(i'm bad about not locking my doors and leaving the windows down) and get in. As i'm getting in i draw my 9mm from my iwb holster. Keys were in same side pocket, so know i'm seating here for a split second thinking how am i going to get them with out putting the gun down. Didin't matter much because the solo mexican is at my door mumbling broken english or spanish. He's two buddies are at the passenger side fender. He puts his hands on the edge of my door and so i show him whats in my right hand by holding it parallel to my chest pointing it at him. He's still babbling as i tell him ( wish i would of said something intelligent) to back the f up. He starts back peddling saying wrong you, wrong you. His buddys follow him quickly around the building and out of sight. i hit the road a bit shaken. So my question is, did i do the right thing. He never really threatened me, but i sure felt threatened. 3 on 1 sucks even if i'm a big guy and they were 130 ponds soaken wet.

You did good. Protect yourself before the attack, not after. It's hard to draw a gun if you've been stabbed or clubbed or who knows what else.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    tag want 2 c if j... replies with possible "LEO" way of doing it.
    Suspect the j... won't @ this time as the crowd in here is too big now.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    I, like most agree that he should have drawn his gun. My question for those that dont agree is "what can you suggest he have done in that very little time frame when he was already feeling threatened"? Monday morning quarterbacking on this one, you know hindsight is 20/20, but in a very short amount of time, "how would you look at it differently"? Please answer. I have been in situations that it seemed like time froze, like in a car wreck, but you let instinct take over. Sort of like falling and having your arms fly out in front of you to take the impact, you dont think of this, it just happens. His drawing of his gun was like what Nighthawk80 called spidey sense is correct. He acted the way most would or should. In that same situation, a person without a carry gun would have raced to their car, opened it, and locked things pretty quick. Started their car and removed themselves from the area. That is if the 3 gentlemen meant no harm. Lets here some more answers on what else could have been done guys.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So let me get this right, You exit a store and three males approach you and/or your vehicle and you draw a weapon and point it? WOW!! Yes you did wrong. Matter of fact you broke the law and committed a crime based on the way you described the incident. Unbelievable!! In fear of serious bodily injury or death by a group of guys walking towards you is a stretch IMO. You might want to brush up on state law before you find yourself is some legal jeopardy.
    negative1.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Hey, guys, if he is an LEO we should thank him for giving us some good advice. Let's not bash, bang or push, let's just wait. Table his response for now until he can come on and help us understand.

While we are piling on the outrage in the virtual world of the internet, he might actually be out chasing down bad guys and locking them up in the real world so that we do not have to.

[/LEO issue threadjack]

One other thing to ask, how many of you would have taken the tactical opportunity to go back in the store if it was closer than the car? Not saying it was, but if it had been, how many would have sucked up their pride and gone back in to call for an LEO or talk to the clerk?

Top Bottom