I dont think I could be any-more furious, Parents read (Insight needed)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I was at McDonalds today, just having alittle snack, after/before taking daughter to go play.

My little 16month old loves to climb - EVERYTHING. She climbed the chairs, to a Table that had an unsuperivised drink, hardly anything in it, except Ice. I removed her once from the situation, but children being children got the better of me, while my hands were full.

So Im getting some kitchup. I turn around, my little is at the table and did her usual "mmmmHmm" as if she drunk from the drink.

I did not see her drink, but I also did not see her NOT drink.
    I am upset with myself about it. Which transmitted into knocking the cup off the table and committing a major taboo, cussing.

1). Can she get ANY diseases?

After I saw the individual, an old male, about 5' with one leg, I felt even worse, knowing I saw him smoking outside.

THINKING he may have some disease, only made me furious. As I watch him go outside (Not wanting to cause a major scene), and panhandle, I get angrier, thinking of the type of people (druggies, degenerates) who panhandle.

So we promptly leave, I circle around, drive to him and confront him; He assured me he had no diseases or anything, and appreciated what I did.

Is there any disease that can be obtained by drinking through a straw or even oral (Lip) contact???

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Is the spread common enough to be concerned (Paranoid)?
    I have had my hands in some nasty things:
    Sewage....private and municipal
    Surgical waste
    Animal research facility waste
    Probably some other things...but the less I know the better.
    I have no diseases of any kind.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Probably nothing more to worry about than if she touches a shopping cart (or your hand after YOU push one) and sticks her finger in her mouth or nose.
    Relax. My kid ate fireplace charcoal when I wasn't looking. She turned out OK,...for the most part.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    BTW, what are you furious about(specifically)?

Mainly myself, for being so foolish. <------- The main reason.

The Individual for leaving his drink unattended while he went for a smoke.

McDonalds for not having someone out cleaning up.

And lastly but leastly, my little one for not listening.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I just heard about mersa the other day...That :poop: sounds nasty.

I don't mean to add fuel to a fire that's probably not there from just drinking out of a cup of unknown origin, but MSRA is damn nasty bug. My experience with it was due to a prior operation on a family member. I'm sure it was due to a hospital environment where the staph virus became immune to most antibiotics. It usually has to enter the body through an open cut based on what I've heard, so for that one I would not be too concerned.

Kids will be kids though. Turn your back for a second and they'll do it anyway.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

OK, just making sure...There are lots of variables here, but first and foremost, this is the most important one. At least you are man enough to admit it.

Seriously though, don't sweat it...In the 16 months your baby has been alive, I'd be willing to wager pretty much anything that she's put nastier :poop: in her mouth; you just didn't see it.

BTW, wow, I would have guessed she was older than that.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'm with everyone else, 99.9% sure things will be fine, but when you say "confront", I hope what you really meant to say was "engaged in a conversation with", since I don't see him as the one at fault from what you've written.

If anything, it sounds like you would have been best off by starting your conversation with him by saying, "Hey, really sorry that the child I left unattended got into your stuff..."

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Its always possible to get a disease from putting something unsanitary in ones mouth. That being said, my kids have eaten leaves off a mulberry tree, eaten dog and cat food, one ate a gumball he found under a vending machine, candy off the bleachers at a wrestling meet and I even gave my youngest a piece of bacon one day only to watch him go rub it on the dog's back and then pop it in his mouth. They are diseease free. She'll probably be fine.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Is there a rule that says that someone can't leave their drink on the table with no one to guard it while they get up to smoke/order more food/use the restroom? I would be more worried about someone hawking a loogey in my drink than a kid sipping from it.

Had there been an employee out cleaning up that threw away the man's drink, would you be willing to buy him another one since he wasn't done with it? If not, then you need to worry about you and yours more than him and his.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I was at McDonalds today, just having alittle snack, after/before taking daughter to go play.

My little 16month old loves to climb - EVERYTHING. She climbed the chairs, to a Table that had an unsuperivised drink, hardly anything in it, except Ice. I removed her once from the situation, but children being children got the better of me, while my hands were full.

So Im getting some kitchup. I turn around, my little is at the table and did her usual "mmmmHmm" as if she drunk from the drink.

I did not see her drink, but I also did not see her NOT drink.
    I am upset with myself about it. Which transmitted into knocking the cup off the table and committing a major taboo, cussing.

1). Can she get ANY diseases?

After I saw the individual, an old male, about 5' with one leg, I felt even worse, knowing I saw him smoking outside.

THINKING he may have some disease, only made me furious. As I watch him go outside (Not wanting to cause a major scene), and panhandle, I get angrier, thinking of the type of people (druggies, degenerates) who panhandle.

So we promptly leave, I circle around, drive to him and confront him; He assured me he had no diseases or anything, and appreciated what I did.

Is there any disease that can be obtained by drinking through a straw or even oral (Lip) contact???
    Was it that guy that sits at the round table by the back door that enters the patio? He's always sitting there leaving his unattended drink and going outside for smokes.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    First... r-e-l-a-x. People cough, sneeze, mine for nasal gold, and write their name in gold in the snow... all without washing their hands on a routine basis. Those little signs in the bathroom? They're good for more than the employees but I'm continually shocked at how many people don't wash after going to the john. (Still, a bunch of dudes around a campfire and the world is our bathroom.:dunno:)

Exposure to everyday germs happens CONTINUALLY as a child and helps to build the immune system. Toddlers fingers go in their mouth all the time and they love to sample other foreign objects with all five senses.

She will be fine. Treat her as you would everyday and if she happens to develop symptoms that warrant a visit to a doctor, like any other time, then go take her.

That said...

BTW, what are you furious about(specifically)?

No doubt!

And lastly but leastly, my little one for not listening.

From your account, you showed a repeated failure to control your toddler, who was continuing to climb over other customer's tables.

While it is never a good idea to leave stuff that you plan to consume unattended, I don't feel like it is my responsibility to protect my food / drink from your toddler.I'm having a hard time following the line of thinking that brought you to cursing in public and in front of the toddler, knocking another patrons cup off a table, then rushing out to "confront" a 5', one-legged panhandler.

Your daughter will be fine. She is a doll, by the way! :) I can understand you being wondered and feeling like a failure that you allowed her to control the situation - not you. Much worse will happen while she is in the toddler-years and she will be fine.

Being upset with another customer when you failed to control her, knocking his drink off the table then "confronting" this 5', one-legged guy? Things ain't right here. Things ain't right at all.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Is there a rule that says that someone can't leave their drink on the table with no one to guard it while they get up to smoke/order more food/use the restroom? I would be more worried about someone hawking a loogey in my drink than a kid sipping from it.

Had there been an employee out cleaning up that threw away the man's drink, would you be willing to buy him another one since he wasn't done with it? If not, then you need to worry about you and yours more than him and his.

I agree. NHV, i think your unfairly blaming the old man. what if he went to the restroom? if i would have seen your kid slurping out of my cup I probly would have asked you why the heck you werent watching your kid. im not saying your a bad parent, but i have a young child and its stressfull because you have to watch them every second, out in public and at home. It doesnt matter if you tell them or not. My parents told me not to have sex with the girls until i got married, do you think that stopped me? ;)

I wouldnt worry about the disease thing. i just was answering your original question. kids that age have better immune systems than we adults do anyways.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    SURELY the OP meant to post this in purple (sarcasm)? Is this a joke post? No way this is for real, especially from an otherwise awesome poster!

Please tell me I'm right....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    SURELY the OP meant to post this in purple (sarcasm)? Is this a joke post? No way this is for real, especially from an otherwise awesome poster!

Please tell me I'm right....

Perceived threats to our kids can really turn us into different people...willing to take all sorts of measures that we otherwise wouldn't give merit to.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Perceived threats to our kids can really turn us into different people...willing to take all sorts of measures that we otherwise wouldn't give merit to.

:+1:

I feel your pain, I'd be scared too!

Hopefully everybody is right and you have nothing to worry about.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't take exception to you asking him if he was aware of any diseases; the world can be an unforgiving place and results can be tragic, so best to ask and possibly obtain vital information although in this case I would think the likelihood of any transmittal is vanishingly small.

However, to jump on the bandwagon, I DO hope you were polite to the old man, and frankly you should have offered to buy him a new drink after knocking his from the table. He bore no responsibility for what happened.

Top Bottom