I dont think I could be any-more furious, Parents read (Insight needed)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Perceived threats to our kids can really turn us into different people...willing to take all sorts of measures that we otherwise wouldn't give merit to.

Agreed. Ask me offline / in-person about the convicted, on-parole, child molester who moved in 5 houses away from me (50' over the limit for a child-ped domicile from a school) and proceeded to buy a little fluffy dog that he took for walks and stopped to talk to the little girls in the neighborhood. Things didn't end well for chester-molester though that's a story that some of our more live-and-let-live minded members get pretty worked up about.

This time though? Purely from his narrative? "Confronting" an older handicapped dude after knocking his drink off the table when NHV continually failed to keep his kid out of their drink cup? That behavior is over the line to me.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I would not worry about it. Kids eat all sorts of stuff and it doesn't seem to hurt them. I caught my daughter eating water bugs when she was about 18 months old. I guess she was hungry because she had a whole mouthful of them just chomping down.:):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Kind of sounds like the lady who blamed society for her son robbing the bank. Or the one who blamed the absent father for her son shooting people. Or even the lady who said her son was stressed from his job when he killed the bikers the other day. In these instances the individuals were old enough to take responsibility for themselves. In this case, it's the fault of the parent and the parent alone. Watch your children and then others will not have to suffer your wrath. I wonder if one of the Son's would have gotten the same treatment?

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    From my perspective;

First off, 99.98% chance you're little one will be just fine. Just as it was mentioned above (shopping carts, toys at the day-care, my son who for some reason loves to chew on his sisters shoes, etc.) will bring about a fair amount of germs that our children can fight off.

Second, as it was also posted above, this was by no means the fault of the old man and I really hope you didn't jump his case like you made it sound. Though I'm not going to bash you for your daughter climbing up and drinking etc, etc, etc. My point is, stuff like this happens, whether we like it or not, whether we do everything in our power to prevent it. No matter how much we as parents try to keep 100% control over our kids, it won't happen. I've got a 3yr old and a 15 month old, no matter how much we pay attention, no matter how "good" our children act, there will be some point where we slip just enough for something like this to happen. We are not perfect either, how can you expect a child to be? Don't think this single act makes you a bad dad, or that it makes her a bad girl, take is as a lesson learned and do what you can to prevent it from happening again. Anyone who thinks that a child can be controlled 100% of the time in 100% of situations, has never had kids. Well, unless you strap them into those baby carriers that mount on the front of your body, until the age of 18.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Your are more likely to pick something up just eating at McDonalds than sipping from someones drink. I got a double cheeseburger a few years back and got Shigellosis, basically and acute bacterial infection of the intestinal lining. How? It was going around the schools and someone at McDonalds didn't wash their hands. Good thing was that I lost weight, bad thing was that I lost it sitting on the can for 4 days.

I rarely eat at McDonalds or Taco Bell anymore (two bouts of the green apple two step from a local Taco Bell).

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Mainly myself, for being so foolish. <------- The main reason.

The Individual for leaving his drink unattended while he went for a smoke.

McDonalds for not having someone out cleaning up.

And lastly but leastly, my little one for not listening.

Man just gulp it down. No one here shares any blame for this but you and it happens. If you haven't pulled half a spider out of a kids mouth you haven't really been watching but it ain't the spider's fault or God's for making spiders.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    So much to reply to, so I'll pick the ones that can help cross cover.

but when you say "confront", I hope what you really meant to say was "engaged in a conversation with", since I don't see him as the one at fault from what you've written.

If anything, it sounds like you would have been best off by starting your conversation with him by saying, "Hey, really sorry that the child I left unattended got into your stuff..."

When I say confront, I mean "talk", engage, seek.

I would not apologize to him, for HIM leaving his stuff out, like trash.

He was outside, smoking before I came in; It's only AFTER THE FACT, that I learned the cup was his.

All I knew AT THE TIME, was a practically empty cup was left, and no one else was there to have it.
    I took this as a sign for a trashy patron, who dumps where he eats.

He was confronted, afterwards, while he was on the street, panhandling.

Is there a rule that says that someone can't leave their drink on the table with no one to guard it while they get up to smoke/order more food/use the restroom? I would be more worried about someone hawking a loogey in my drink than a kid sipping from it.

Had there been an employee out cleaning up that threw away the man's drink, would you be willing to buy him another one since he wasn't done with it? If not, then you need to worry about you and yours more than him and his.

See above.

But for my opinion, food/drinks SHOULD NOT be left unattended or at best out of sight, the bare minimum that you stated.

And NO, I would not pay for his drink, as it was only 'appearant' that it was discarded trash.

I am not the least worried about him, only to the extent of when I am forced to be involved.

p.s. I did give him money, after questioning him

Was it that guy that sits at the round table by the back door that enters the patio? He's always sitting there leaving his unattended drink and going outside for smokes.

Abit generalistic, it was the McDonalds on Keystone, near the walmart. Could be, after questioning the Staff, he is a repeat customer.

From your account, you showed a repeated failure to control your toddler

Ha, no kidding... Herding cats... :D I dont mind my daughters' free spirit, and desire to explore.

I agree. NHV, i think your unfairly blaming the old man. what if he went to the restroom? if i would have seen your kid slurping out of my cup I probly would have asked you why the heck you werent watching your kid.

First, Im not an old man, and I think I share more than enough blame for this.

And yes, had it been you, and then you questioned me, I'd ask you where did you leave your cup, completely unattended.

I am certainly at fault, with more than a responsibility to this, but leaving a cup unattended certainly shares some level of responsibility for what had occured.

If it was a firearm, the responsibility would certainly be there, what makes a drink any less? Just curious.

Perceived threats to our kids can really turn us into different people...willing to take all sorts of measures that we otherwise wouldn't give merit to.

This is the truth.

This time though? Purely from his narrative? "Confronting" an older handicapped dude after knocking his drink off the table when NHV continually failed to keep his kid out of their drink cup? That behavior is over the line to me.

Yes. I completely agreed, I was out of hand. No arguement, no debate from me.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Without exposure you can't build tolerance;)

I think I'd rather drink from a strangers cup then do what I did last Thursday night after I left the bar....oops...I've said too much:ladiesman:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Never take a kid into a situation they cannot handle.
    Never take a kid into a situation you cannot handle.
    Never blame another for you lack of handling the situation.
    Blame is best used with great accuracy and discretion.
    And kids are learning every step of the way...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    First, Im not an old man, and I think I share more than enough blame for this. When I said old man, i was refering to peg leg, not you.

And yes, had it been you, and then you questioned me, I'd ask you where did you leave your cup, completely unattended. and I would have just told you that your barking up the wrong tree, and shorten the leash on your kid

I am certainly at fault, with more than a responsibility to this,
    your right

but leaving a cup unattended certainly shares some level of responsibility for what had occured. no it does'nt its a eating establishment. its like the people whos kids try to climb on me while im still sitting there. am I at fault for not kicking them away from me with my boot?

If it was a firearm, the responsibility would certainly be there, what makes a drink any less? Just curious. Oh so now you will try to compare a drink cup on a customers PRIVATE table, to a firearm. there is realy no leap too far for you ever is there. you dont have to answer that, i know it already.

Yes. I completely agreed, I was out of hand. No arguement, no debate from me. whats new.

my response is in red.

And No. However, after speaking with him, I gave him a buck

i forgot to mention, the part where you said you gave him money after you confronted him while he was pahandling. As if paying him excused your abusive and childish actions. your willing to admit a level of responsibility for this, while also casting blame on an innocent person. that tells me that you truely never accept full responsibility for your actions. Its like people driving drun and admitting it was wrong but also mentioning it was a full moon, so that must make up for it somehow:rolleyes:

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    wow this is some funny stuff, would be way more worried about my kid catching something or getting addicted to the hogslop they serve at these fast food restraunts.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    wow this is some funny stuff, would be way more worried about my kid catching something or getting addicted to the hogslop they serve at these fast food restraunts.

Not sure about addicted, but I agree about the cleanliness of fast food joints.
    Probably more germs IN the food than on that guys straw.

BTW, quite a few Doctors believe we are overly aggressive with kids regarding germs, and actually believe that NOT exposing them to germs keeps them from building tolerances when they are young, and making them more susceptible to germs when older. :dunno: Kinda makes sense. Kids immune systems are WAY stronger than us old folks.

Relax, that little cutie of yours will be fine. :D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Not sure about addicted, but I agree about the cleanliness of fast food joints.
    Probably more germs IN the food than on that guys straw.

BTW, quite a few Doctors believe we are overly aggressive with kids regarding germs, and actually believe that NOT exposing them to germs keeps them from building tolerances when they are young, and making them more susceptible to germs when older. :dunno: Kinda makes sense. Kids immune systems are WAY stronger than us old folks.

Relax, that little cutie of yours will be fine. :D

I totally agree:yesway:

Top Bottom