• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    This morning when I went out to start the car for the morning car pool to school I found out my battery was completely dead. Other than a hard start yesterday afternoon when it was cold, there was no warning. Not a good surprise on any morning let alone a frosty cold morning.

I called the school and then made alternate transportation arrangements for my son & his friends. I called my niece to put her on standby to transport me later. I sent the future X a text, and then Googled reasons the car wouldn’t start. I decided the battery sounded like the best place to start. If the car had top mount battery terminals it would have been so much easier to tell if they were corroded or loose. The side mount terminals posed a lot more speculation and effort on my part.

By the time I had the hood up & was fiddling with the battery the FX called. He agreed it was probably the battery and said I needed to make sure the connections were clean and tight. Said if it wouldn’t start afterwards I should take the battery out & go get a new one. Of course he was surprised when I said I intended to do this myself even though he never suggested anyone who could help me. He thought I could just wait until Saturday. The kids could just walk to & from school & I guess my mom could just feed and take care of herself in the afternoons (can’t Alzheimer’s) until he was back in town to fix it. He was at least nice enough to tell me channel locks could loosen the terminal connections after I asked him the wrench size I needed.

So I mess with the car for probably close to an hour in the cold. I was cold and very frustrated, not to mention pis*ed that he no longer feels the need to do any preventative maintenance on my car. As I am preparing to just disconnect the battery to get a new one, the FX calls me to find out how it’s going. Told him what I was doing. Then he finally tells me that we have a car charger / starter in the garage that I just need to hook up to the battery, plug in & turn to 12V start. I did it and the car started right up. That would have been so nice to know an hour earlier. Dumbsh*t! So I unplugged the car starter and let the car run & the battery charge for about 15 minutes. Then I took it to Advance Auto & had a new battery installed. All is well with the car now. I was able to take care of it and the FX never had to get his hands dirty.

Why does this matter, why is this crazy woman rambling on about this???? Because I did it all by myself. Something I have had to get use to doing. Perhaps it doesn’t sound like a big deal if you are a big strong man. I’m just a middle aged “girl”. I am not a big muscular girl but I can read and I have determination.

I use to be a princess, I didn’t have to work on my own car or do other manly things. But my prince turned into a lying, cheating toad who no longer believes he should have to do anything for me or around the house (unless it will cost him money if someone else does it). Now I am the man of my house and of my mother’s house. Last winter I ran over something & had to change my own tire so I could put the spare on & take it to Tires Plus to get it fixed. It sucks to have to do this crap by myself, but it is better than waiting until it’s convenient for him & having to suck up to an as*hole to get him to do it for me.

So kids the moral of this story is that you can do anything you put your mind to doing. Even if you’re just a girl.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nothing quite so satisfying as doing something you've never done before. You have earned a loud "you go girl!" :D

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    LOL, only a woman would start a 6 paragraph thread about charging a car battery. :):

A couple of months ago a Mom was picking up her kid from my football practice and her battery died. I don't let any of the kids out of my sight until I see them get into their parent's cars to go home, so I couldn't go over and help her until everyone was gone. I saw her stare at the engine for a good 5 minutes with a gator in each hand.

Finally, after all the kids were gone, Xander (my son) and I walked over to her and I offered assistance. She said, "I've never done this before. I think I can clip them anywhere, but I'm not sure." Trying to hold back the laughs, I said "no, please don't ever do that." (LOL) I tried jumping her car with the contraption she had, but it was taking too long, so I just got my cables and it started right up.

Before I left, I showed her that the red clip goes on the "+," the black clip goes on the "-" and that emergency battery charger needs to be charged more regularly.

Why her husband has never showed her this is beyond me.

Two things that should be mandatory in Driver's Ed is how to change a tire and how to jump a battery.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Hell - I'm just shocked you got the damn HOOD open! :eek:

That really was half the battle. It's an older SSEI and you have to touch it just right for it to open. Some days it opens real easy but on days I'm frustrated or someone else is watching it makes me work for it. Open sesame, pleeease.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    LOL, only a woman would start a 6 paragraph thread about charging a car battery. :):

A couple of months ago a Mom was picking up her kid from my football practice and her battery died. I don't let any of the kids out of my sight until I see them get into their parent's cars to go home, so I couldn't go over and help her until everyone was gone. I saw her stare at the engine for a good 5 minutes with a gator in each hand.

Finally, after all the kids were gone, Xander (my son) and I walked over to her and I offered assistance. She said, "I've never done this before. I think I can clip them anywhere, but I'm not sure." Trying to hold back the laughs, I said "no, please don't ever do that." (LOL) I tried jumping her car with the contraption she had, but it was taking too long, so I just got my cables and it started right up.

Before I left, I showed her that the red clip goes on the "+," the black clip goes on the "-" and that emergency battery charger needs to be charged more regularly.

Why her husband has never showed her this is beyond me.

Two things that should be mandatory in Driver's Ed is how to change a tire and how to jump a battery.

I saw a guy blow up a battery thinking he it didn't matter how he hooked it up. It was hard trying to hold the laughter in when his wife tore him a new one. He was mad that he ruined his favorite NASCAR t-shirt. I've got a brother that has called me more than once to change a tire, replace a battery, or talk him through another easy job. He has gotten quite a bit better after he decided he wasn't paying a shop or a quick lube for an oil change. He did have to call to ask how to get a stuck filter off.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I saw a guy blow up a battery thinking he it didn't matter how he hooked it up. It was hard trying to hold the laughter in when his wife tore him a new one. He was mad that he ruined his favorite NASCAR t-shirt. I've got a brother that has called me more than once to change a tire, replace a battery, or talk him through another easy job. He has gotten quite a bit better after he decided he wasn't paying a shop or a quick lube for an oil change.

I don't think I could have held back the laughter from that level of dumbassery.:):

He did have to call to ask how to get a stuck filter off.

By ramming a big flat-head through the middle and turning?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    This morning when I went out to start the car for the morning car pool to school I found out my battery was completely dead. Other than a hard start yesterday afternoon when it was cold, there was no warning. Not a good surprise on any morning let alone a frosty cold morning.

I called the school and then made alternate transportation arrangements for my son & his friends. I called my niece to put her on standby to transport me later. I sent the future X a text, and then Googled reasons the car wouldn’t start. I decided the battery sounded like the best place to start. If the car had top mount battery terminals it would have been so much easier to tell if they were corroded or loose. The side mount terminals posed a lot more speculation and effort on my part.

By the time I had the hood up & was fiddling with the battery the FX called. He agreed it was probably the battery and said I needed to make sure the connections were clean and tight. Said if it wouldn’t start afterwards I should take the battery out & go get a new one. Of course he was surprised when I said I intended to do this myself even though he never suggested anyone who could help me. He thought I could just wait until Saturday. The kids could just walk to & from school & I guess my mom could just feed and take care of herself in the afternoons (can’t Alzheimer’s) until he was back in town to fix it. He was at least nice enough to tell me channel locks could loosen the terminal connections after I asked him the wrench size I needed.

So I mess with the car for probably close to an hour in the cold. I was cold and very frustrated, not to mention pis*ed that he no longer feels the need to do any preventative maintenance on my car. As I am preparing to just disconnect the battery to get a new one, the FX calls me to find out how it’s going. Told him what I was doing. Then he finally tells me that we have a car charger / starter in the garage that I just need to hook up to the battery, plug in & turn to 12V start. I did it and the car started right up. That would have been so nice to know an hour earlier. Dumbsh*t! So I unplugged the car starter and let the car run & the battery charge for about 15 minutes. Then I took it to Advance Auto & had a new battery installed. All is well with the car now. I was able to take care of it and the FX never had to get his hands dirty.

Why does this matter, why is this crazy woman rambling on about this???? Because I did it all by myself. Something I have had to get use to doing. Perhaps it doesn’t sound like a big deal if you are a big strong man. I’m just a middle aged “girl”. I am not a big muscular girl but I can read and I have determination.

I use to be a princess, I didn’t have to work on my own car or do other manly things. But my prince turned into a lying, cheating toad who no longer believes he should have to do anything for me or around the house (unless it will cost him money if someone else does it). Now I am the man of my house and of my mother’s house. Last winter I ran over something & had to change my own tire so I could put the spare on & take it to Tires Plus to get it fixed. It sucks to have to do this crap by myself, but it is better than waiting until it’s convenient for him & having to suck up to an as*hole to get him to do it for me.

So kids the moral of this story is that you can do anything you put your mind to doing. Even if you’re just a girl.

:rockwoot::rockwoot: +1 for your growing self reliance!!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    There isn't anything my wife can do that I can't. The reverse isn't even close. One time she told me the flush handle on the toilet wasn't working right. I simply took the lid off and threaded the nut back on. Do you think she could even bother to try and look?

BTW, if I were on my way out, I wouldn't fix anything either. Great job on taking the initiative to figure it out.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen

Can you give my daughter some tips? She can be like a broken record: DAD DAD DAD DAD car again lol. Got to love um. Congrats on tackling it yourself:yesway:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    that was one thing my Dad made sure of when I was growing up, know how to work on the minor things on your car, oil change, change a tire, charge a battery etc.

Good for you though getting your independence and figuring it out on your own!!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I've tried to show my wife how to do little stuff like this. She has absolutely ZERO desire to learn how to do anything on her own. Then she gets pissed when she can't do something on her own.

Wash, rinse, repeat. It's just how she was raised. Daddy dearest did everything for her. Still does. It's been about 7 years, but I'm making progress.

Top Bottom