• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    For those who have been supportive I appreciate it. For those who think I am just being a crybaby bi**h let me add more clarity to the conversation. Everything I have, I worked my a** off to get. I raised my daughter alone (husband #1 was bigger a**) while working one to two jobs at a time while taking full time college classes. I am not helpless nor have I ever been. I can learn to do any task. It just irritates me when needed information is withheld. My life is busy & hard enough. My husband had a midlife crisis & woke up one day & just decided he pretty much hated most of his siblings & me. I have never cheated on him or done anything to deserve his betrayal of me.

Even though I was the major breadwinner until I lost my job, I still did my share of work around the house when I was working. He on the other hand has decided he is too good to do much of anything to help. He sits in his recliner drinking beer most of the time when he is home. He is the one who has reduced himself to nothing but a paycheck.

When we had all of the snow last year I was the one outside shoveling it. We live on a corner lot so that was a lot of heavy snow. The part that sucked is we have a monster snowblower but he could not be bothered to show me how to use it. Of course I didn't directly ask I guess. "You should probably teach me out to use the snowblower wasn't a good enough request". It is his toy. Tell you what after a few days of snow I pulled the damn thing out of the garage & figured out how to use it.

I may have made a princess comment but that was more a figurative comment than an actual state of being. It had more to do with respect and consideration than someone else doing everything for me while I watched. I have never been a prissy kept woman. I am not high maintenance or even demanding. To attack me because some B in your past was a B to you is mean and uncalled for. If you knew me you would realize I deserve so much better than the sh*t I am receiving.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone I just don't appreciate a couple comments that were made. The whole point of the original post was supposed to be that no matter who you are you can do whatever needs to be done if you put your mind to it. Even if you're a girl.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wow, you guys are easily impressed. ;)

Yep, screwdriver through the filter makes it easy.

Not if you've got a KN. :cool:

For those who have been supportive I appreciate it. For those who think I am just being a crybaby bi**h let me add more clarity to the conversation. Everything I have, I worked my a** off to get. I raised my daughter alone (husband #1 was bigger a**) while working one to two jobs at a time while taking full time college classes. I am not helpless nor have I ever been. I can learn to do any task. It just irritates me when needed information is withheld. My life is busy & hard enough. My husband had a midlife crisis & woke up one day & just decided he pretty much hated most of his siblings & me. I have never cheated on him or done anything to deserve his betrayal of me.

Even though I was the major breadwinner until I lost my job, I still did my share of work around the house when I was working. He on the other hand has decided he is too good to do much of anything to help. He sits in his recliner drinking beer most of the time when he is home. He is the one who has reduced himself to nothing but a paycheck.

When we had all of the snow last year I was the one outside shoveling it. We live on a corner lot so that was a lot of heavy snow. The part that sucked is we have a monster snowblower but he could not be bothered to show me how to use it. Of course I didn't directly ask I guess. "You should probably teach me out to use the snowblower wasn't a good enough request". It is his toy. Tell you what after a few days of snow I pulled the damn thing out of the garage & figured out how to use it.

I may have made a princess comment but that was more a figurative comment than an actual state of being. It had more to do with respect and consideration than someone else doing everything for me while I watched. I have never been a prissy kept woman. I am not high maintenance or even demanding. To attack me because some B in your past was a B to you is mean and uncalled for. If you knew me you would realize I deserve so much better than the sh*t I am receiving.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone I just don't appreciate a couple comments that were made. The whole point of the original post was supposed to be that no matter who you are you can do whatever needs to be done if you put your mind to it. Even if you're a girl.

If that was true, you could have left the ass-chewing of your future ex-spouse out of it. You should've stopped while you were ahead.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If that was true, you could have left the ass-chewing of your future ex-spouse out of it. You should've stopped while you were ahead.[/QUOTE]

I did not chew FX out. I seldomly have. I was not rude or bit**ie to him. Our conversations are usually civil. I was frustrated that he waited almost an hour tell me there was an easier way. I vented that's all. I've seen it done lots of times on this forum.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Fair enough

If that was true, you could have left the ass-chewing of your future ex-spouse out of it. You should've stopped while you were ahead.

I did not chew FX out. I seldomly have. I was not rude or bit**ie to him. Our conversations are usually civil. I was frustrated that he waited almost an hour tell me there was an easier way. I vented that's all. I've seen it done lots of times on this forum.[/QUOTE]

Only advice i have is accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative. Putting it up in public like this is bound to attract all kinds of commentary. The good, the bad and the ugly. If you aren't prepared for, or don't want to listen to everybody's opinion, a simple "I got 'r done!" will get you attaboys(attagirls?) and not invite a lot of the negative. Blasting someone else in a public forum doesn't usually engender a lot of sympathy. Especially things involving gender issues. Pretty polarizing stuff because anyone over the age of about 15 has prolly had a bad experience that you just dredged up the memory of. Makes 'em less than receptive and sympathetic.
    But again, I'm glad you learned something new and something else good about yourself.

One last thing. Usually, the only person affected negatively when you're angry. . . . is you. Keep pluggin' and I hope your Christmas is merry.:yesway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I did not chew FX out. I seldomly have. I was not rude or bit**ie to him. Our conversations are usually civil. I was frustrated that he waited almost an hour tell me there was an easier way. I vented that's all. I've seen it done lots of times on this forum.

No?
    But my prince turned into a lying, cheating toad who no longer believes he should have to do anything for me or around the house (unless it will cost him money if someone else does it).

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    We're headed south now, right? WOW! I'll say it again, GG be proud of yourself. You did right. If you feel the need to vent a little, go for it. That's what the internet was designed for. Wasn't it?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Good job! :)
    I could tell some funny stories about being a single mom/homeowner after my ex left. I remarried, wasn't single long, but it was a valuable experience! I can be very stubborn and determined, and have enough curiosity to want to know about things. I also curse like a sailor when i'm frustrated! Google and library books are useful, free tools!

To the guys that say their wives aren't interested in learning- I might appear that way to my husband at times. Sometimes a spouse just isn't good at teaching. My husband gets aggravated sometimes when i ask too many questions. I'm just trying to understand, but he thinks i'm challenging him, i guess. :dunno: Or he will pick a time when i'm busy with other things. We end up getting frustrated with each other, and then it's no longer fun or interesting. Sometimes we are like those couples that fight on the DIY/remodeling/home improvement shows!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Good job! :)
    I could tell some funny stories about being a single mom/homeowner after my ex left. I remarried, wasn't single long, but it was a valuable experience! I can be very stubborn and determined, and have enough curiosity to want to know about things. I also curse like a sailor when i'm frustrated! Google and library books are useful, free tools!

To the guys that say their wives aren't interested in learning- I might appear that way to my husband at times. Sometimes a spouse just isn't good at teaching. My husband gets aggravated sometimes when i ask too many questions. I'm just trying to understand, but he thinks i'm challenging him, i guess. :dunno: Or he will pick a time when i'm busy with other things. We end up getting frustrated with each other, and then it's no longer fun or interesting. Sometimes we are like those couples that fight on the DIY/remodeling/home improvement shows!

Google is my best friend. I usually read about unfamiliar things & then decide if I am capable of doing them. I have even found some Youtube videos to be helpful. Owner’s manuals can be a good source of info sometimes too. I can be cocky some times but I am not stupid. Anything that could result in a shock or a fire makes me think twice about attempting it. Plus I know the rule that if you screw it up it costs more to fix it right. So I try not to screw anything up.

My mom has Alzheimer’s & my sister who lives with her has side effects from breast cancer treatment that prevent her from doing a lot around their house. So I am their “man” unless it is obvious they need a “real man.” I know how to use a lot of different tools & power tools but I don’t always use them correctly or use the right ones. As long as the result is the same what does it really matter? Right?????

One of my first jobs at my moms was opening the clogged sink drain in her bathroom. That drain was like a clown car with all the odd ball things she had in it. I had a snake but those are mostly good for hair & grime, not junk. I ended up using a combination of a hanger, a grill skewer, and a string with a bent paper clip to fish things out of the drain. It took a little bit to get everything out but there was a real sense of satisfaction knowing I was able to do it & they didn’t have to call a real plumber.

I fixed one of my mom’s lamps that had a broken connection between the cord & the plug. It works fine now & I didn’t get shocked & the house didn’t burn down from it so I am contemplating replacing their ceiling fan in the living room. It all looks simple on the internet, too simple actually. I’ve told my sister I am willing to try it but someone needs to be home with me and not just laughing while watching the granny cam. So we’ll see if we decide to try that one. I’m pretty sure between myself, my sister and my niece we could do it.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I fixed one of my mom’s lamps that had a broken connection between the cord & the plug. It works fine now & I didn’t get shocked & the house didn’t burn down from it so I am contemplating replacing their ceiling fan in the living room. It all looks simple on the internet, too simple actually. I’ve told my sister I am willing to try it but someone needs to be home with me and not just laughing while watching the granny cam. So we’ll see if we decide to try that one. I’m pretty sure between myself, my sister and my niece we could do it.

You can. As long as you follow the safety precautions the various instructional sources will give. One hint there, having the second person around is useful not only for safety, but having a second set of hands for it will be useful too.

Regarding tools:

While there are a lot of things that can be made to work, and in the end you get the job done, the more stuff you do the more you come to appreciate well designed tools that are right for the job. A poorly made tool makes the job much harder than it needs to be, and the wrong tool for the job can make a simple job darn near impossible.

If you're going to become a fix-it person, seriously consider investing in quality tools. They pay for themselves many times over in the end. You don't have to do it all at once, start with the ones you use a lot, screwdrivers. Then work your way up from there.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It would have been much easier to pull the s or p trap to unplug the sink than try to fish it out. Look under the sink and you'll see plastic or metal piping. Loosen the nuts until it comes apart, clean out the obstruction and reassemble.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It would have been much easier to pull the s or p trap to unplug the sink than try to fish it out. Look under the sink and you'll see plastic or metal piping. Loosen the nuts until it comes apart, clean out the obstruction and reassemble.

Show off. :) Yeah that would have been the easy way. I don't know if I had even thought of that, but let's go back to the let's not screw any thing up part. Although I know the general concept to how the pipes fit together I need a few more confidence boosts before I go taking them apart. I think she has the ancient metal ones. I might be asking for a headache if I go messing with them. Thanks though, I'll definitely check that first next time.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Or be like my daughter. Unhook the supply to look for her contact in the drain. Don't bother telling me. Let me discover it when there's a puddle on the floor.

Oh well, she gets points for trying.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The metal and plastic ones work the same way. Unscrew them, take them apart, clean it out. When you put them back together, just make sure everything is seated well, and tighten it down. Fill it with water and look for leaks. I get leaks from things sometimes, don't worry, don't feel bad. Just reseat it and tighten it down again. You'll get it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Show off. :) Yeah that would have been the easy way. I don't know if I had even thought of that, but let's go back to the let's not screw any thing up part. Although I know the general concept to how the pipes fit together I need a few more confidence boosts before I go taking them apart. I think she has the ancient metal ones. I might be asking for a headache if I go messing with them. Thanks though, I'll definitely check that first next time.

I work maintenance on an automated production line. I'm the only one in the company that really has any experience on that line on fixing and running the equipment. I'm largely self trained on that line and had to figure out most of it on my own. Since Feb. I've trained several different people for off shifts to run it. Some have quit but out of 6 or so guys, only one really gets how it all works. The rest just want me to tell them the magic button to push to fix it so they can be on their way. The equipment operators are no different. If they push the start button and it doesn't work, they call me. A lot of the calls I get are things the operators can fix if they used a couple brain cells.

The point of this is you will be much better off and learn much more if you figure things out on your own. You must first understand how something works. Once you do that, it's much easier to identify the problem in the future when new and different problems arise.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I work maintenance on an automated production line. I'm the only one in the company that really has any experience on that line on fixing and running the equipment. I'm largely self trained on that line and had to figure out most of it on my own. Since Feb. I've trained several different people for off shifts to run it. Some have quit but out of 6 or so guys, only one really gets how it all works. The rest just want me to tell them the magic button to push to fix it so they can be on their way. The equipment operators are no different. If they push the start button and it doesn't work, they call me. A lot of the calls I get are things the operators can fix if they used a couple brain cells.

The point of this is you will be much better off and learn much more if you figure things out on your own. You must first understand how something works. Once you do that, it's much easier to identify the problem in the future when new and different problems arise.

+ (a large number) on this. SO many people are SO incompetent, and SO uninterested that even if they have the mental horsepower to BE competent, they're too lazy to show it. I just can't understand that mentality. I've always wanted to understand everything so much that I could never hide it.

Top Bottom