• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What isn't being widely reported, and got only one brief mention in the South Bend Tribune (that I can find) is that the ND girls team broke out their t-shirts on the 11th anniversary of the death of 2 Mishawaka police officers. None of the outlets I looked at and our local news here in The Bend, have pretty much ignored that fact.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What isn't being widely reported, and got only one brief mention in the South Bend Tribune (that I can find) is that the ND girls team broke out their t-shirts on the 11th anniversary of the death of 2 Mishawaka police officers. None of the outlets I looked at and our local news here in The Bend, have pretty much ignored that fact.

Surely that was a coincidence right? Surely they wouldn't have done that out of spite right?

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    unalienable |ˌənˈālyənəbəl, -ˈālēə-| adjectiveanother term for inalienable.

That's Webster.

Hutcheson saw the distinction.

A little levity.... Someday you may be on a big buck television trivia show.

When a question concerning the difference between the two comes up and you know the difference you'll have INGO to thank.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's getting plenty of "airtime" on my coworkers Facebook feeds.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny -

I'm inclined to believe that you have about got the proper balance there. On one hand - we live in a world of borders, territories, and groups. We cannot escape that to the John Lennon-ish utopia. It doesn't exist.

At the same time - whatever rights we hold to be inalienable - we must recognize for all people. Some rights (think Voting) are reserved for those who have made the commitment and paid the price to be a citizen of the nation in question. But the basic human rights/freedoms ought to be recognized and protected by us within the sphere of our influence (basically our borders). We can't control what others (e.g Mexico, Russia, DogCrapistan, wherever do within their borders) They have the right to self governance after all.

Note that this does NOT mean an open border free for all, as some around here have advocated. It DOES mean that we will not stoop to the level of abandoning the basic human rights that we believe as a society to be inalienable. And there's room underneath that umbrella for requiring ORDERLY immigration to this country.

All this said, in every war, and every conflict there are barbarities committed BY ALL SIDES that should cause shame and grief. The Japanese did things to the Koreans and Chinese in WW II that would have made Hitler blush. While we were not as barbaric about it, still things happen. It does cause me great concern when we hear people openly clamoring for torture. What today is a "tool to be used by our side" tomorrow is "what is used on us".
    I'm under no illusion of a perfect utopia and I'm not advocating a open border. I am an agent of the government (local) and as such, have to practice this mantra daily. I do not care where you have come from, your residency status, what your religion is, your accused crime, etc, you will get the same protections from me. I am sure most here would act the same as we are a principled people and we carry those with us wherever we go. A principled person does not lose them at the boarder or lose them when bad things are done to them. In fact, retaining them when victimized is a sure sign of true strength.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ah, good point. I believe them to be inalienable and we are citizens (if you can use the term) of humanity. We should treat those as we want to be treated (bit of a cliche). We CANNOT hold these rights dear while at the same time refusing to recognize them in others. We retain our principles regardless how barbaric others treat us. Is that not how a person is judged?

Exactly, "we." Not some higher power but "us." Humanity is culpable in both the creation and implementation of just rights. Rights that should be understood by all within a specific culture. The right life, and all it entails, is fundamental. Do we need a higher power to justify this? But that right depends on the goodwill of just men. All this talk about infringement, is nonsense. When a person kills another, he has taken that right, not infringed, but taken. Sure I get the philosophical rantings of English and French bluebloods, but we live in a real world, where real people struggle everyday with freedom. Those that oppress them take their rights, not infringe. And the only way they are restored, is by flesh and blood men acting justly; at least on this earthly plain. So IMO, to say that rights aren't given and taken based on the actions of man, is utter nonsense.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just so we're on record, it's okay to judge other people.
    People are judged every day, sometimes its right sometimes its wrong. Your statement smells of baiting and is overly simplistic. Does history not judge the actions of those that came before us? Will my children not judge the actions/behaviors of their parents? I have an alcoholic, narcissistic, absent father, I judged him to be a **** POOR roll model and decided to be his exact opposite. I still love him, he is what he is, but our biggest critics are those we raise.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm under no illusion of a perfect utopia and I'm not advocating a open border. I am an agent of the government (local) and as such, have to practice this mantra daily. I do not care where you have come from, your residency status, what your religion is, your accused crime, etc, you will get the same protections from me. I am sure most here would act the same as we are a principled people and we carry those with us wherever we go. A principled person does not lose them at the boarder or lose them when bad things are done to them. In fact, retaining them when victimized is a sure sign of true strength.

I conside myself a principled person. I do not believe in murder. I do not believe in killing other people. However, I will, if I have to to protect my life or the life of my family or the life of another human being. Am I still a principled person?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I conside myself a principled person. I do not believe in murder. I do not believe in killing other people. However, I will, if I have to to protect my life or the life of my family or the life of another human being. Am I still a principled person?
    Is self protection not an inalienable right? It is. So why ask the question?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If I didn't think they hadmurdured that guy fr absolutely no reason I'd laugh at the shirt. But they went way overboard even though he mildly resisted before some monkey jumped on his back and started choking him.
    I agree don't fight the police but in this case I would have liked to have seen the video continue and include about 20 people from that community expressing their displeasure

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If I didn't think they hadmurdured that guy fr absolutely no reason I'd laugh at the shirt. But they went way overboard even though he mildly resisted before some monkey jumped on his back and started choking him.
    I agree don't fight the police but in this case I would have liked to have seen the video continue and include about 20 people from that community expressing their displeasure

It doesn't appear that the takedown itself had anything directly to do with his death. If anything, it was the act of leaving him on his stomach after being restrained, and the EMS personnel not lifting a finger to assess or to help him after they arrived, that led to his death.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It doesn't appear that the takedown itself had anything directly to do with his death. If anything, it was the act of leaving him on his stomach after being restrained, and the EMS personnel not lifting a finger to assess or to help him after they arrived, that led to his death.
    Well maybe they should reevaluate taking morbidly obese people to the ground like that and laying on them unless they are a REAL threat. Cops that act like that are bullies or just falling back on bad training procedures in my opinion as an outside observer. We can do better than that in this country.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well maybe they should reevaluate taking morbidly obese people to the ground like that and laying on them unless they are a REAL threat. Cops that act like that are bullies or just falling back on bad training procedures in my opinion as an outside observer. We can do better than that in this country.

Or perhaps very tall, morbidly obese people shouldn't belligerently resist arrest in a manner that leaves police officers no option *other* than a takedown in order to restrain the person unlawfully resisting arrest.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Or perhaps very tall, morbidly obese people shouldn't belligerently resist arrest in a manner that leaves police officers no option *other* than a takedown in order to restrain the person unlawfully resisting arrest.

Or perhaps confiscatory tax regimes that provide incentives to run black markets for cigarettes should be abolished.

Top Bottom