• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I don't mean to sound like a Jerk... well, I sort of do... but that is the stupidest crap I've ever seen. It's like people are trying to turn firearms into fashion accessories.

But I'm a purist. Do what you do, I guess.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't mean to sound like a Jerk... well, I sort of do... but that is the stupidest crap I've ever seen. It's like people are trying to turn firearms into fashion accessories.

Ever since firearms have been made, they have been customized and decorated. This is no different. I went to a pirate ship exhibit in Cincinnati, OH at their Train Station. There was a pirate ship sunk off the cost of MA about 300 years ago. One of the most beautiful items found on the wreckage was a pistol that had been hand carved and decorated with images of some sort of pagan/good luck sun god. I see that as no less "stupid" than having a pink gun that will help appeal to new/non shooters.

Real_Pirates_Sun_King_pistol.350w_263h.jpg

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Ever since firearms have been made, they have been customized and decorated. This is no different. I went to a pirate ship exhibit in Cincinnati, OH at their Train Station. There was a pirate ship sunk off the cost of MA about 300 years ago. One of the most beautiful items found on the wreckage was a pistol that had been hand carved and decorated with images of some sort of pagan/good luck sun god. I see that as no less "stupid" than having a pink gun that will help appeal to new/non shooters.[/IMG]

The problem with that is that they're are in no way whatsoever connected. Engraved firearms were and are made as collection pieces. Status symbol's for very important people, or occasion. Coloured grips don't do any of these things. It's like carrying a dog in a purse. As much as I hate to quote Red Jackoff Firearms... Stephanie was right when she said that women would want her Pink gun line as fashion accessories.

But like I said... I'm a purist, do what you do. Nothing I can do but have an opinion about it.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Engraved firearms are merely decorated ones. They don't make the operation or function improve. It's the same with pink. Obviously engraving firearms is part of their collectability (for some). I get that you don't dig them. You don't have to, but there isn't a difference because neither provide functionality. Anything to make firearms more commonplace is okay with me.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Engraved firearms are merely decorated ones. They don't make the operation or function improve. It's the same with pink. Obviously engraving firearms is part of their collectability (for some). I get that you don't dig them. You don't have to, but there isn't a difference because neither provide functionality. Anything to make firearms more commonplace is okay with me.

Again... that makes no sense at all, but alrighty.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    What about it doesn't make sense?

Engraving improves what function of the firearm?

The a pink/green/plaid/purple colour improves what function of the firearm?

I'll answer it: None, they are merely aesthetic alterations that do not improve anything about the firearm.

If a gun is pink, purple or plaid, it doesn't matter because they will all fire the same way if the internals are the same. If the colour convinces someone to shoot a gun based on its looks alone, more power to the manufacturer for getting new shooters in the game. We need as many people as people vested and interested in firearms and to normalize it into society.

I get that you do not like it. Great, I don't care too much for it either but it is a tool to use in 2nd Amendment apologetics to get non-shooters to become shooters.

Firearms companies would not (continue to) sell pink guns if they didn't sell well.

I'm not sure what part about my previous post was hard or confusing to understand.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Well, my daughter picked the pink gun out. Out of all the guns in the shop, its the one she chose.

If you don't like pink guns, sorry. Guess you and my 6 year old baby girl have different tastes in firearms. Oh well.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails

I understand being a purist, and a pink gun isn't something that I'm dying to own, personally. Conversely, the color/design helps girls (or girly boys) relate to firearms. That is a good thing! I'm considering picking one up for my daughter. Sure, she can already shoot the M&P 15-22, but the pink cricket is something she can relate to and find "cooler" than daddy's scary black rifles. So, it's a good thing when looked at in the context of relating to youth, and I'm sure that's the target demographic.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    What about it doesn't make sense? Engraving improves what function of the firearm? The a pink/green/plaid/purple colour improves what function of the firearm?

You're again comparing apples to bullets. As I said before, engraving isn't made to be a fashion accessory. Engraving of a firearm is tasteful. Typically, when someone engraves a firearm, it's for an important purpose. Or in honour of something or someone. A coloured grip is just a coloured grip that look's supremely stupid. Nobody ever said that either one of them improve the firearm. But they are also two completely different things that you can't compare.

If I were to compare pink or coloured gun's to anything, I would compare it to those idiots that put 35 accessories on their AR's. You know, the mall ninja's. They are both equally stupid, and useless. :twocents:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can't believe someone would knock the gun you built for your daughter. It's built for her to her taste and is something she will cherrish. It takes a really shallow person to pick on a childs gun. I would suggest you pick on someone closer to your own age! And i hope she paints flowers on it just to tick you off!!:rockwoot:Rock on little girl! :ar15:Your gun is awesome and made for you! :yesway: Enjoy!

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    If a gun is pink, purple or plaid, it doesn't matter because they will all fire the same way if the internals are the same. If the colour convinces someone to shoot a gun based on its looks alone, more power to the manufacturer for getting new shooters in the game. We need as many people as people vested and interested in firearms and to normalize it into society.

I get that you do not like it. Great, I don't care too much for it either but it is a tool to use in 2nd Amendment apologetics to get non-shooters to become shooters.

Firearms companies would not (continue to) sell pink guns if they didn't sell well.

I'm not sure what part about my previous post was hard or confusing to understand.

Why is that an excuse? "We need more people to get into gun's so let's pander to their supremely low attention span and lack of nuance." We need more people to be into gun's, so the answer is to pander to an audience who would actually choose a firearm based on it's outward colour rather than it's performance or abilities? I don't think so.

You know the Macbook? That piece of crap laptop that isn't compatible with anything but Mac products and programs... basically disqualifying it from ever competing with the PC? ...Those sell like hot cakes. Do they sell because they are useful? Do they sell because they perform better? No. They sell because people are stupid, and buy crap that they don't need to flash around and say "Look what I have." I see coloured firearms the same way. Just some stupid accessory. Further more, they are grotesque.

They are an embarrassment to the firearms world. Companies make the damn things because it brings them money. Period. Not all gun manufacturer's actually care about us. They are a company, looking for a bottom dollar just like Walmart, Exxon, ect. They'll sell anything that gets them into the next quarter.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I can't believe someone would knock the gun you built for your daughter. It's built for her to her taste and is something she will cherrish. It takes a really shallow person to pick on a childs gun. I would suggest you pick on someone closer to your own age! And i hope she paints flowers on it just to tick you off!!:rockwoot:Rock on little girl! :ar15:Your gun is awesome and made for you! :yesway: Enjoy!

Who's picking on anyone? Who's shallow? I said that coloured gun's are distasteful. I hate people like you that come in like you're some noble savior. Standing up for the little guy. Get over yourself, sir. This is an adult forum, and everyone has different opinions. It's A, okay for someone to post about a pink gun, but I'm a piece of **** for having the opinion that it's crappy? That, my friend, is called being biased. If you don't like reading other people's opinion's, I suggest you get off the interweb.

"I can't believe someone would knock the gun you built" - This is a big boy forum. I'm not here to be a good guy. I'm here to TALK about gun's. Not agree with everyone on everything. Build a bridge and get over it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah, well... anyways...
    Congrats on your daughters new gun. Here's to some good times ahead shooting with her!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Who's picking on anyone? Who's shallow? I said that coloured gun's are distasteful. I hate people like you that come in like you're some noble savior. Standing up for the little guy. Get over yourself, sir. This is an adult forum, and everyone has different opinions. It's A, okay for someone to post about a pink gun, but I'm a piece of **** for having the opinion that it's crappy? That, my friend, is called being biased. If you don't like reading other people's opinion's, I suggest you get off the interweb.

"I can't believe someone would knock the gun you built" - This is a big boy forum. I'm not here to be a good guy. I'm here to TALK about gun's. Not agree with everyone on everything. Build a bridge and get over it.

I don't have anything to get over. You didn't **** me off. I am big boy. Just sayin if she wants a pink gun great for her. But (like you) I do express my opinion from time to time. We all have them. Express away. Don't take it personal. I didn't :)

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I don't have anything to get over. You didn't **** me off. I am big boy. Just sayin if she wants a pink gun great for her. But (like you) I do express my opinion from time to time. We all have them. Express away. Don't take it personal. I didn't :)

Translated different from over here, but alrighty.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Tasteful is a matter of subjective opinion. You are ignoring my question , again, what about engraving improves the functionality of the firearm? You can't say 'worth' because that isn't a function of what we're discussing.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Tasteful is a matter of subjective opinion. You are ignoring my question , again, what about engraving improves the functionality of the firearm? You can't say 'worth' because that isn't a function of what we're discussing.

And you are bring up a question that in no way makes any sense or has any relevance to the conversation. You keep asking about functionality. But I could ask some random question and pretend to be arguing a point just the same...

You seem to be arguing a point to yourself. I never brought up functionality. You did. So, stop arguing with yourself, and realize the overall point of my disapproval, in that, it is tasteless, and superfluous. Ofcourse, not pertaining to functionality, but to appeal, and show. I clearly stated that you are comparing two things that can't be compared. As stated before, engraving for the most part, is art. It takes skill, and concentration on the part of the artist. It's tasteful. Colour is gaudy. You can't compare art to flat colour. In this, your argument is ridiculous. You're basically trying to make Da Vinci's Anghiari fit into the same box as a bright yellow blazer and label them equal. It's just not possible. Sorry.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    You've also failed to answer my questions. My simple rebuttal to your entire argument is, do you want people into gun's that choose firearms based on something so shallow as it's outward appearance, or more to the point, it's colour? I certainly don't. That's extremely superficial.

Top Bottom