I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yet the four rules are widely known and pretty much universally accepted, with the noted exception of yourself and Manatee, of course. ;)

Most of what has been widely known and universally accepted at some point was found later to be wrong or lacking and modified in some way to improve effectiveness.

Yes, even the original 1911 design was worthy of revision.

I'm also comfortable enough playing the role of devil's advocate on occasion (not that I am in this particular case - OR AM I?). :cool:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Most of what has been widely known and universally accepted at some point was found later to be wrong or lacking and modified in some way to improve effectiveness.

I'm also comfortable enough playing the role of devil's advocate on occasion (not that I am in this particular case - OR AM I?). :cool:
    Ya I was really pissed when I found out one of Jim Croce's axioms turned out to be wrong. Turns out, there is no Superman. At least the spitting into the wind thing is still intact.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Of all of the "smarter than the four rules" folks :rolleyes: I've run into, you are only one that I would actually feel safe to be around. The rest, they seem to be perfect examples of why Col Cooper advocated the Four Rules of Firearms Safety.

From Wikipedia:

Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:[SUP][8][/SUP]

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
    4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Of all of the "smarter than the four rules" folks :rolleyes: I've run into, you are only one that I would actually feel safe to be around. The rest, they seem to be perfect examples of why Col Cooper advocated the Four Rules of Firearms Safety.

I wouldnt feel safe being around ATM even if he was unarmed. Not unless I had pieces of bacon to throw at him when he gets those crazy eyes.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Of all of the "smarter than the four rules" folks :rolleyes: I've run into, you are only one that I would actually feel safe to be around...

Probably because we've taken some training classes together and you have firsthand knowledge that I adhere to rules 2-4 regardless of my thoughts, beliefs or online discussions about "rule" #1. If you ever catch me attempting to use perceived loaded status as an excuse for unsafe gun handling, make sure to call me on it - I'll thank you.

I wouldnt feel safe being around ATM even if he was unarmed. Not unless I had pieces of bacon to throw at him when he gets those crazy eyes.

You have our attention.

Crazy_Eyes576.jpg

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good thread, though its been covered before, still worth the read! before I carried, I saw carrying with an empty chamber as reasonable. I quickly changed my mind. just after going to the range and drawing, chambering, then firing. I actually felt if under stress I would more likely discharge before being close to on target (heh heh thats never good.... sorry...). next time you are at the range try it. Having a good holster, better than the piece of crap that was given to me, made a huge difference. knowing that your gun will sit right where it should on your hip is a huge confidence booster.
    Also stated before, know your firearm and how it works. chances are that little question mark in your mind that wonders if your LCP in a pocket holster is gonna go off if you move strangely will go away. Not a great example I realize..
    I'm rambling now, anyway good thread!

BRE4L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Arizona
    I practice on a regular basis drawing from my holster and chambering (2-3 times a week). I personally think I'm more than capable of defending myself in hand to hand combat id use my pistol as a last resort. I for one have children and prefer to have a safe clear gun JUST IN CASE. I believe that being aware of your surrounding is far more important that being able to draw and shoot right away. If someone has the jump on me 2 second wont make a difference just my opinion.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I practice on a regular basis drawing from my holster and chambering (2-3 times a week). I personally think I'm more than capable of defending myself in hand to hand combat id use my pistol as a last resort. I for one have children and prefer to have a safe clear gun JUST IN CASE. I believe that being aware of your surrounding is far more important that being able to draw and shoot right away. If someone has the jump on me 2 second wont make a difference just my opinion.

Do you practice drawing with your weak hand and chambering with just that hand ? I'm guessing probably not.

Your 2 seconds just got a LOT longer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

What do you do with all those bullets that are set back into the case from all this chambering?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If someone has the jump on me 2 second wont make a difference just my opinion.

I made this post because someone just like you thought they were capable of defending themselves and ended up dead when they couldn't. I'm sure you're better than they were, though, and their circumstances could never happen to you.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Ok, I'll bite.

You carry without one in the chamber for the safety of your kids. Sure, I understand.

How is it safe for your kids if someone surprises you by grabbing one of your arms? You're now unable to draw your gun with your other hand because it's out of your reach because of the way you carry. Plus if you're somehow able to reach it, you don't have enough time to rack that slide against your belt one-handed.

Another scenario:
    You need one hand to keep your kids protected behind you while you draw your gun one-handed. But you don't have enough time to rack that slide to chamber a round. That 2 seconds just cost a life.

BRE4L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Arizona
    I made this post because someone just like you thought they were capable of defending themselves and ended up dead when they couldn't. I'm sure you're better than they were, though, and their circumstances could never happen to you.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend but to blame an unloaded gun for that persons death is nuts. Who's to say he/she would of got a got shot on a person or even hit them at that. I'm no better than anyone else, I just choose to defend myself in different ways. Who's to say your way is better than mine or vis versa. Are you telling me as long as my gun is loaded and ready to go I will survive any circumstance? Are you saying having one bullet chambered would allow me not to freeze and cower when someone has knocked me to the ground? Better yet, this person is trying to get my pistol that is chambered? Did that chambered bullet help me then? People live an entire lifetime without touching a gun and survive just fine until that drunk driver kills them on the highway one day. I guess he should of had that gun chambered it would of protected him. A gun isn't the end all be all its just "another tool" in defending ourselves. I think people should focus more on how to properly use a pistol not just throw it in the sock draw.

BRE4L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Arizona
    Ok, I'll bite.

You carry without one in the chamber for the safety of your kids. Sure, I understand.

How is it safe for your kids if someone surprises you by grabbing one of your arms? You're now unable to draw your gun with your other hand because it's out of your reach because of the way you carry. Plus if you're somehow able to reach it, you don't have enough time to rack that slide against your belt one-handed.

Another scenario:
    You need one hand to keep your kids protected behind you while you draw your gun one-handed. But you don't have enough time to rack that slide to chamber a round. That 2 seconds just cost a life.

What if I shoot my kid while trying to get the bad guy?

Top Bottom