• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So are you a vet? I say no. Only because I don't consider myself one either. For me personally, I consider a vet someone who has served in a combat theater. Whether or not you saw actual combat...well, there is a badge for that. Where I formed that opinion I dunno. Just a product of everything I've heard people say I guess; just like what you are doing here.

Here I say in my humble opinion, that you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Again, if you volunteered, you could have been sent to combat. Many volunteer thinking they will be sent but are not. Are they any less a veteran? No I say. How about a vet in WWII that maintained aircraft stateside for training? Not a vet? BS. It is all of the periphery work, logistics, and training that enables our soldiers on the front line to fight. How about the guy or gal that gets injured working stateside and can never be sent to the front lines. Not a vet? Pshaw!

You are just feeling guilty because you did not see combat. I know. I felt that way for years! I am a vet. Sure, I spent almost my whole two tours 3 stories underground in the middle of the US, but I served my country and I am proud of that. I had no choice where I was sent. During Vietnam, because of my training, I could go to only two places in the world. Both in the US. That is what I ended up with. I could have been sent to load bombs on planes in Vietnam, or end up flying in some support position and get shot down. One of the first things they told us during boot camp was that they could send you someplace and get you killed. They were trying to see if anyone wanted out before they spent the money to train us, but that is the main point. "They" could send you anywhere and get you killed, because you volunteered!

5 days and out on disability, 4 years maybe pushing papers in a building somewhere, still a vet with plenty to be proud of and, by the way, still alive. We are proud to be vets so we can honor the ones that can no longer stand by our side.

Do I consider my mother, who served as a dietitian during WWII and never went overseas, any less of a vet then her brother who earned a Silver Star, saving his men during the Battle of the Bulge? No. My mother is on the left.

moml.jpg

My uncle receiving his Silver Star.

uncle.jpg

Last edited:

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I tried in 85 and they would not take me because i cannot hear high frequencies.I told them i came from a military family but they did not care,If i had perfect hearing when i joined i would have lost it anyway.
    They would have killed my hearing.They took forest gump but not me?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I guess I am different than most. Given the circumstances that you outlined, I would consider you a vet. If anyone asks, just stick to the facts and be proud that you kept moving ahead in your intentions of becoming a member of the armed forces. This is the not so humble opinion of a 30 year veteran of the USAF and USAFR.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It does not matter if you served in combat or not, you are still a veteran. I joined the Coast Guard, because I wanted to serve. Not in a combat zone though. For many reasons. Like the Government does not give a **** about you. They could care less about taking care of you. It's always stand by to stand by. Not to mention I do not agree with the current conflict, nor some conflicts in the past. I do however have a high respect for those serving over seas, it takes a special kind of breed. I also however respect all the branches. They all have a job, and they all do it well. The fact that they signed a contract, and wear a uniform is enough for me. Yes you get the slackers, or people just wanting college money. For the most part it's because they really want to serve. I have talked to soldiers, that said there is no way they would want to be in a small ass boat in the middle of the ocean. At the same time I would not want to be in a combat zone. So rather if you are a airman, sailor, or soldier. Stationed here, or overseas. You are a Veteran If people think you are not they are tools. Also most that say that never served themselves. :twocents:

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    You are just feeling guilty because you did not see combat.

I guess you're right. From my perspective, that seems to be the most likely reason why I had formed the opinion I had. Didn't really think of it like that. The term veteran just seems to have a lot of different meanings/interpretations.

I like your angle better though. That volunteered part really is a big deal. What they do with you is not of your choice...I'm definitely aware of that lol

Although I never said actual combat was a pre-req. to being a veteran. I said deployed in a combat zone, but I was wrong there too because I would consider your service CONUS during Vietnam as being deployed as well.

Either way, I think I'll still feel guilty about not seeing combat when so many of my friends and aquaintances have. But you've swayed me, I'll agree; that doesn't have anything to do with being a veteran.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    your a vet! so when the vets are called upon in a room stand or raise that hand proudly!

you got further than I did. my whole life I looked forward to turning 18 and becoming the families 4th generation marine but when I was 17 I had an accident that ruined my chances to serve.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anyway, guess what? My knee came up on the radar again. Again, I went to an army orthopod, who said I had degenerative arthritis and would soon be in a wheelchair and wasn't fit to be an officer.

So, are you in a wheelchair today? I missed any story followup on whether the doc was right or wrong on you knee.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    So, are you in a wheelchair today? I missed any story followup on whether the doc was right or wrong on you knee.
    No, I'm not in a wheelchair. I still have arthritis in my knee, but other than ruining a promising athletic career, it really hasn't had that much effect on my quality of life. The doc was probably right to boot me, I guess.

Gooch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Randy,
    Have to agree with the others. DD214 says it all for me. From one vet to another, please stand proud when you are asked to. It would be a shame not to. There is nothing stonger than the heart of a volunteer. CJ

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You put your name on the dotted line like the rest of us. You got a DD214 (Like I hope to, soon). What you did between those events was honorable and was by the direction of the Gov't, just like the rest of us.
    I consider you my brother.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I agree. I would stand by you and be proud. Im starting to get arthritus in my joints, hopefully i can make it a few more years to retirement.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a DD214. There are no benefits for veterans with less than 60 days of active duty. I was willing to go fight, even though more than a few Second Louies were shot in the back. I thought maybe I change things for the better. The one thing I did know going in was that you made sure the career sergeants ran the outfit, because they are the ones who know what's up. It would be stupid to ignore them.

I think the killing of junior officers by their own men is in large part urban myth. NCO's are the backbone of the Army. Good junior officers work with their good NCO's, but stay in charge. A good outfit is a good team where respect flows both ways. A good combat leader can size up people and recognize who has the respect of the men, usually based upon their combat experience. A good combat leader can mine that experience to the benefit of everyone in the unit. Caring about one's troops and taking care of them goes a long way in gaining trust and respect. In combat, as well as, police work, the number one rule is to "make it home alive". The movies have had a large part to play in making junior officers out to be bumbling idiots who cower at the first sign of trouble. There aren't too many enlisted troops who like officers, but that is the nature of the game. The officers have to ask them to do things that they don't want to do and to risk their lives. On the other hand, to have the respect of the troops is a credit to the skill of any officer.

It appears to me that the current military is the best one ever fielded. The people stay in the same units for a long time and the units seem to work as a well-oiled machine. There seems to be a kinship amongst its unit members. Apparently this is a lesson learned from the failings of the Viet Nam era.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think the killing of junior officers by their own men is in large part urban myth. NCO's are the backbone of the Army. Good junior officers work with their good NCO's, but stay in charge. A good outfit is a good team where respect flows both ways. A good combat leader can size up people and recognize who has the respect of the men, usually based upon their combat experience. A good combat leader can mine that experience to the benefit of everyone in the unit. Caring about one's troops and taking care of them goes a long way in gaining trust and respect. In combat, as well as, police work, the number one rule is to "make it home alive". The movies have had a large part to play in making junior officers out to be bumbling idiots who cower at the first sign of trouble. There aren't too many enlisted troops who like officers, but that is the nature of the game. The officers have to ask them to do things that they don't want to do and to risk their lives. On the other hand, to have the respect of the troops is a credit to the skill of any officer.

It appears to me that the current military is the best one ever fielded. The people stay in the same units for a long time and the units seem to work as a well-oiled machine. There seems to be a kinship amongst its unit members. Apparently this is a lesson learned from the failings of the Viet Nam era.

I had a lot more respect for most officers than the NCO's I was under. Pretty much every time I ever got screwed over, it was at the hands of an NCO. I was a Bradley driver for an E5 gunner and platoon leader. I pulled the track back in the defalade after the cease fire command was given and a 25 mm round went down range. The range tower went nuts and pulled us off the firing line. They sent the company master gunner out to check out the gun and make sure it wasn't a malfunction. We had to go back to the motor pool and while cleaning the brass off the track, the E5 gunner told me that it was basically my fault because I lunged the track and he bumped the trigger. I was a new private and didn't know better. Through the course of the day, I was talking to other joes about it and it got back to the platoon sergeant and LT about what the gunner said. They got into the gunners ass and told me it wasn't my fault at all. The LT actually came to me and told me it was his fault because as the commander of the vehicle, he is responsible for everything that happens on the track. That worthless E5 only wanted to pass the buck. That wasn't an isolated incident with NCO's that I dealt with.

Top Bottom