• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Thanks for your 5 days of service. All in all that's a great story, sucks that you had to go through the whole process only to be medically discharged though.

ROTC is the way to go. :rockwoot:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    rmcrob: You could not have known that the war/conflict was going to end when it did. You were being processed and getting prepared. Just because the war didn't wait for you doesn't mean you weren't willing to serve your country.

Regarding:
    Because I know some salty, bitter combat vets , who regularly make fun of folks with his "experience" .

The conversation usually ends with them agreeing that "bad things" should happen to those who try to fake it

There's always some ex-GI (and current GI) that needs to complain or bitch. I don't know of anyone I served with that didn't bitch about something or other.:dunno:

SOO TRUE ! :laugh:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Same question on the DD214? A Report of Separation is generally issued when a service member performs active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training. The Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations. So I would doubt you have one.

Once you are in the hands of the military, they can do with you as they please. Send you to the front lines, put you behind a desk, discharge you due to some reason or another. You volunteered and that is important.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Because I know some salty, bitter combat vets , who regularly make fun of folks with his "experience" .

The conversation usually ends with them agreeing that "bad things" should happen to those who try to fake it . (PG Version)

What about that story constitutes "faking it?" It's not like he's claiming to have won the CMOH. He signed the papers, did the training, body broke. It happens.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a DD214. There are no benefits for veterans with less than 60 days of active duty. I was willing to go fight, even though more than a few Second Louies were shot in the back. I thought maybe I change things for the better. The one thing I did know going in was that you made sure the career sergeants ran the outfit, because they are the ones who know what's up. It would be stupid to ignore them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I served and I'm not a combat vet so I don't go around touting my service as I think it takes away from those who did see combats. I knew another non combat vet who tried talking me into getting vet plates for my vehicles. Non vets see that and assume that you were a combat vet so I won't get them. I'm not a fan of the Viet Nam "era" stickers and patches I see. I don't think a grunt who spent a tour thinks a guy who never came within 1000 miles of Viet Nam is worthy of attaching Viet Nam to their service.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    What does it matter what we think? What matters is what you think. If you think you ought to stand and be recognized as a veteran, then do it. If it makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it. This really is ancient history.

I have friends from childhood who went to college after high school and were able to get into the reserves. Some didn't serve at all. I've had some confide that they wish they'd have gone on active duty. I have other friends who volunteered and saw combat. I don't look down on my friends who didn't serve on active duty. They are good people. They are decent, honest, and God fearing men. If I had had the option of going to college or getting in the reserves instead of going active duty, maybe I would have gone that route, but probably not. I'm happy to have done my duty, but in my eyes, being a vet or not doesn't define a person.

I'm glad that a lot of folks aren't down on Viet Nam era vets like they were during the war and the many years that followed. I was never spit on or treated badly after my return. I wasn't thanked for my service either, outside of my immediate family, of course. I think that it is great that the young vets from Iraq and Afghanistan are treated with the respect they deserve. I'm glad that, in great part, the news media and the entertainment industry has learned from their past mistakes.

I hope that this answers your questions.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I served and I'm not a combat vet so I don't go around touting my service as I think it takes away from those who did see combats. I knew another non combat vet who tried talking me into getting vet plates for my vehicles. Non vets see that and assume that you were a combat vet so I won't get them. I'm not a fan of the Viet Nam "era" stickers and patches I see. I don't think a grunt who spent a tour thinks a guy who never came within 1000 miles of Viet Nam is worthy of attaching Viet Nam to their service.
    Thank you for your service to our country.

I'm certainly not touting myself as anything.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I think everything you did was right, and I believe you had every intention to fulfill your ROTC obligation and serve you country during time of war, but I personally would not count myself a veteran for 5 days of active service and 3 yrs of ROTC. Thats just me, but I wouldn't feel right calling myself a veteran with that experience, nor though would I be ashamed of it either.

From what I've read on INGO of what you have written, I think you sound like a good person that treats others with respect, have good common sense, knowledgeable, and thinks before you write/post. I look forward to what you post when I see your screen name come up. For that I would be happy to call you friend. :cheers:

JNT0421

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Crown Point
    I tend to agree with "2ADMNLOVER", you're looked on as a Vet, officially. Each Vet probably has a different opinion on what constitutes a Vet. To me, you have to complete Boot Camp or OCS. So, if you went to Boot Camp and were discharged because of an injury, you never completed Boot Camp and I would not look at you as a Vet. Still friends?? LOL

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I used to feel that way, almost like guilt, until an old veteran asked me if I volunteered. I told him I did and he said to be proud of that and that I did my duty since the military can send you anywhere it wants.

Like I said earlier, the military can send you anywhere and you don't always have control of that. I had no control whatsoever and ended up in SAC underground for most of my two tours. Besides, only about 10% of the military actually sees any combat anyway, maybe more right now but a vast amount of members are in support services of one sort or another.

I don't show any stickers or plates like that either, but that is just me. On one vehicle I do have a flag sticker and one that says "My Daughter is a Marine" which I am proud of.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    If I'm understanding your story correctly...Technically, I'd say no, you are not a veteran.

You weren't on active duty long enough.

You didn't complete enlisted boot camp.

You didn't complete Officer's Candidiate School.

You didn't take part in a military operation that legally qualifies you for veteran's status.

Those facts don't make you a dirtbag.

You were physically unable to complete training. Millions of guys have suffered the same fate.

You made yourself available for service, which is a helluva lot more than many men can say.

You are to be respected for that.

One thing prior service folks hate is a poseur, or a guy who claims service he never actually did.

Don't try to pawn yourself off a something your aren't, and you'll be golden with just about anybody.

If I were you, I wouldn't claim vet status.

I'd still have beers with you.

Edited to add: Hells bells...I was a scumbag reservist wireman who happened to be at the right place at the right time to be called up for Desert Storm! I saw combat...from miles away and on TV. When I talk with today's Iraq vets, I always tell them what I did was child's play in comparison to what they are doing.

Last edited:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Hey, you made yourself available, did the ROTC thing, that beats the hell out of half the punks who would say otherwise.

DD214 speaks loud and clear. My friend, you are a patriot!

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What does it matter what we think? What matters is what you think.

Not entirely true, in my opinion.

If you have respect for someone or a group, you care about their opinion of you.

I care about what my family and kids think of me.
    I care about what my friends think of me.
    I care about what my fellow vets and the folks I served with think of me.
    I care about what my co-workers and customers think of me.

Therefore, I try to conduct myself in such a way that those I respect have a good opinion of me. (I am not always successful)

Randy obviously values his relationship with the group here, and respects us and wants our opinions.

That's the reason for his initial question, I think, and there's not a thing wrong with it.

Randy is being introspective = Inspecting within; seeing inwardly; capable of, or exercising, inspection; self-conscious...

He is looking for self-truth, which is commendable, and not something he made up.

More folks should do the same...

Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

Last edited:

suby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Greenwood
    Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

Yes, whether Randy considers himself a vet or not isn't the issue. Maybe he is unsure about how he feels about it (obviously), but here he's asking what we think.

I often wonder about the same issue as Randy. Am I a vet? On paper we're both vets. The 214 proves that. But I think the real issue is what "constitutes a vet". Time of active service? Deployed? Actually saw combat? Signed the paper and raised your right hand? I think everyone will come to their own conclusion and that's why you (I) feel uneasy calling yourself a vet. Some people say you are; some say you're not.

I don't know you (OP) but I wouldn't not be your friend because of your story. I enjoyed reading it. Sure, some vets or service members might look down on you because you haven't experienced everything that they have. You just have to let that roll though. Nothing will change that. Perfect example in "Band of Brothers" when the replacements are in the bar with Easy Co wearing class A's with the "unit citation." The replacements weren't actually part of the operation that earned the unit the citation and some of the "vets" were pissed.

I recently graduated ROTC, prior to that was enlisted, and I saw what is being talked about. Recruiters and others openly speculating that many of the new cadets (who were prior enlisted like me) only joined to dodge deployment. Was is true? Probably in some cases, but definitely not the majority. Still the tension is there.

So are you a vet? I say no. Only because I don't consider myself one either. For me personally, I consider a vet someone who has served in a combat theater. Whether or not you saw actual combat...well, there is a badge for that. Where I formed that opinion I dunno. Just a product of everything I've heard people say I guess; just like what you are doing here.

Top Bottom