• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    A friend and I passed one of those new mustangs that couldnt make it up an onramp last winter... we were in a tiny dodge neon... poor guy

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    A friend and I passed one of those new mustangs that couldnt make it up an onramp last winter... we were in a tiny dodge neon... poor guy

Probably some punk ass ***** that thought he knew everything. There are 2 groups of Mustang owners. Those who care about the car and those who know nothing about the car besides the fact it can come with a horse or a snake on the front.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I guess the next question is.... how well does a Mustang tow a boat?

My mustang tows my jetski just fine. Total package weights in close to 1200lbs with a full tank of gas in the ski (22 gallon tank)

P1020531.jpg

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sell that Mustang, and buy an Audi S4 that has AWD, a 6 speed manual transmission with a 4.2 liter V8 under the hood pushing 340bhp.
    Oh wait that's what I drive :)

Why? For less you could get better looking, faster, and cooler new Mustang with a 5.0L V8 pushing 400hp. You also wont have to worry about VW/Audi reliability. (btw my daily driver is a VW GLI)

But lets be real honest awd is for those who cant drive a rwd car :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What is your hitch setup like? I have a flat bottom I want to pull.
    I believe the one I got was a draw tite, but most of the standard manufacturers have a mustang hitch. I got a deal at a local RV company in Ft Wayne, they had it sitting around for a while and they cut me a great deal. I think it was like $125 installed with the wiring. You could probably get them for $100 or so online Id imagine.

I think the car is only rated to tow like 1,000lbs and I dont tow very often but it works fine when I do. With that being said my car is probably better equipped than a stock GT. It has a beefed up auto trans with trans cooler, a supercharger so there is plenty of power, and I have upgraded brakes.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Why? For less you could get better looking, faster, and cooler new Mustang with a 5.0L V8 pushing 400hp. You also wont have to worry about VW/Audi reliability. (btw my daily driver is a VW GLI)

But lets be real honest awd is for those who cant drive a rwd car :D

First of all I've owned and driven many many rear wheel drive car, Secondly your telling me an Audi/VW has reliability issues??
    I've been working on European cars for 30+ years and found them to be very trustworthy.
    BTW who fixes your GLi??

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    First of all I've owned and driven many many rear wheel drive car, Secondly your telling me an Audi/VW has reliability issues??
    I've been working on European cars for 30+ years and found them to be very trustworthy.
    BTW who fixes your GLi??

VW does, ya know when they replaced the entire intake manifold at about 25,000 miles.

VW cars have never been known for reliability, not knocking them, I own one. But its true.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Is that a testament to the Rovers excellent traction or it's inability to get out of it's own way?:D
    You would think that with the oil slick that it leaves in it's wake, breaking traction would be easy:D
    Sorry to perpetuate stereotypes about British cars, couldn't resist.

while i completely agree to the oil slick you have mentioned, the factory traction control system is garbage. i removed mine, threw in the center diff lock, and some "meaty" tires. last years snow was pitiful.

mustangs are as drivable in the snow as any other vehicle. just takes the proper amount of caution and knowledge. the idea on taking it out to an empty parking lot and seeing how it does slide is EXCELLENT. thats how dad taught me to control the vehicle if it does occur.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Probably some punk ass ***** that thought he knew everything. There are 2 groups of Mustang owners. Those who care about the car and those who know nothing about the car besides the fact it can come with a horse or a snake on the front.

And some of those people even put snakes on the front of cars that originally had a horse on it. Sadly the current crop of muscle cars are overwight and overpriced. I've always preferred f-bodies but I'd take a 03-04 Cobra over a new Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    And some of those people even put snakes on the front of cars that originally had a horse on it. Sadly the current crop of muscle cars are overwight and overpriced. I've always preferred f-bodies but I'd take a 03-04 Cobra over a new Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang.

Yeah the "Cobra Clone" is what it's called....Although the new Cobra 500 has some serious balls.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    The new 2013 Shelby GT500 will have 650hp on tap. Thats bordering on too much lol. I can certainly see some rich guy buying it and wrapping it around a pole because he has no idea what to do with 650hp.

Yeah but they hit the 200 MPH mark. :):

It looks mean though and I wish they would call it the cobra not the gt500

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

Agreed the current muscle cars are expensive but you could argue the value is still as good or better. Its almost impossible to compare them to the older cars strictly on price level.

A 2012 Mustang is light years ahead of my generation mustang (99-04). The ride, handling, power, build quality, interior materials, electronics, etc are all closer to current BMW level than they are to my 01 Mustang.

The new cars do have more options that can rack up the prices to a much higher level. BUT the base prices are roughly 8K more than they were in 2004 using the MSRP price at the time. But you are getting a lot more car for that extra 8K.

The base price of a deluxe GT coupe in 2004 was $23,675, if you put that in today's dollars accounting for inflation. That is $28,836.75 in today's dollars.

The base price of a deluxe GT coupe in 2013 is $31,495.

Its sort of disingenuous to compare prices just off the MSRP when they were new. At one point you could buy a Mustang GT for like 3 grand.

So if you want to compare apples to apples, for an additional $2,659 you get a much better overall car with a ton more power, style, and quality.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Can be done.....

I drove a '92 LX 5.0 5-spd for 15 years before finally deciding a Mustang made a lousy truck.

I put two bins full of my college text books in trunk and kept a snow shovel in it at all times.

Some helpful hints. forget 1st gear. just forget it (unless your doing donuts, and 2nd is better for that too)

Start in second and feather the clutch. Deep snow stopped me more than slick. The car would plow it up in front of it then get stuck. (Hence the fold up shovel) Leaves lots of room and DO NOT STOP going up hill. Leave room and creep it up until the light changes.

Sometimes power is your friend to help get around a corner when the fronts are slipping. I took pride in driving the car all year when people were losing control of their 4 wheel drives. (Not so pridefull when I crawl under it now...:()

As for boats, I never towed a boat. But I did pull a 6X12 open top U-haul trailer at 80 MPH trying to keep all my worldly possestions dry when moving from college to work. Towed quite well. But the pushrod 5.0 was always a very good low end torque truck motor.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Agreed the current muscle cars are expensive but you could argue the value is still as good or better. Its almost impossible to compare them to the older cars strictly on price level.

A 2012 Mustang is light years ahead of my generation mustang (99-04). The ride, handling, power, build quality, interior materials, electronics, etc are all closer to current BMW level than they are to my 01 Mustang.

The new cars do have more options that can rack up the prices to a much higher level. BUT the base prices are roughly 8K more than they were in 2004 using the MSRP price at the time. But you are getting a lot more car for that extra 8K.

The base price of a deluxe GT coupe in 2004 was $23,675, if you put that in today's dollars accounting for inflation. That is $28,836.75 in today's dollars.

The base price of a deluxe GT coupe in 2013 is $31,495.

Its sort of disingenuous to compare prices just off the MSRP when they were new. At one point you could buy a Mustang GT for like 3 grand.

So if you want to compare apples to apples, for an additional $2,659 you get a much better overall car with a ton more power, style, and quality.

I understand your point on the prices, the weight is a bit concerning. The new Mustang is indeed impressive. How well do the new 5.0s take to mods? The Mustang GT is reasonable at around 3600 lb, but the Camaro SS is 3800+ and the Challenger is over 4000. Maybe it's just me, but I never cared for fancy interiors, cornering, or hp per liter, etc. It was always how fast could you go in a straight line and for what price? The new Mustang GT is far more potent that the previous models, however the new Camaro SS is only marginally faster than the LS1 Camaros of the late 90s and early 2000s.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I understand your point on the prices, the weight is a bit concerning. The new Mustang is indeed impressive. How well do the new 5.0s take to mods? The Mustang GT is reasonable at around 3600 lb, but the Camaro SS is 3800+ and the Challenger is over 4000. Maybe it's just me, but I never cared for fancy interiors, cornering, or hp per liter, etc. It was always how fast could you go in a straight line and for what price? The new Mustang GT is far more potent that the previous models, however the new Camaro SS is only marginally faster than the LS1 Camaros of the late 90s and early 2000s.

I hear ya, you are definatly an Fbody guy then. Cheap to buy now and very fast in a straight line. Although when new those weren't exactly cheap. Thats one of the reasons the severely underpowered mustang outsold both Fbodies close to 3 to 1 back in the 90s to mid 00s. I remember the WS6 Fbodies back in the late 90s being well into the 30s sticker. Thats probably closing in on 40K today.

As far as the 5.0 mustangs, I really have no clue. I haven't really looked at them much as far as looking at the capability. Just lusted over them from afar. I don't have the money to buy one and I don't do car loans so they are out my price range.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    VW does, ya know when they replaced the entire intake manifold at about 25,000 miles.

VW cars have never been known for reliability, not knocking them, I own one. But its true.

Replacing the manifold is only a "band aid" type fix, the problem lies with a) the type of fuel you use b) the fact that the injectors no long inject into a manifold they now inject onto the crown of the piston, therefore the intake carbonization problem you had was caused by this design, they changed it under warranty I presume?. VW allow for a 10 mm build up of carbon inside the intake.
    If you are not using premium fuel I suggest you do, try and buy it from either Shell or BP, Amoco as these are the only refineries that seperate premium from regular, most others just add an octane booster to bring up the fuels RON rating

Top Bottom