• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Traction control is nice but is badly limits the power/wheel spin and sometimes you need that. Throw some blizzak snow tires in it and you could off road if you want but snow tires do not like dry or no snow conditions, if I remember correctly they get hot and wear fast. Not what I would advise for Indiana winters because snow does not stay on the grou d long enough to make it worth it. Again like said tecnogy and tire tech has come a Long way but a light back and and red is still what it is.... Only ride that was rd only that felt like 4wd in snow that I have driven was a suburban.

I'd find a friend that has one and see if they will let you drive it in a snow covers empty parking lot and at least that way you will know in advance of spending money.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Front wheel drive is a relatively 'new' convenience. It defiantly a plus when driving on snow. I learned to drive on a 76 Torino wagon and a 68 Torino(dad was a die hard Ford man). The wagon actually did pretty well in the winter-was a damn heavy car.Turns were a bit dicey, though. The 68 was a LOT lighter, and took a little getting used to. And that was with technology not much more advanced than the 1950's.

With the right tires, a Mustang should be fine in the winter. People have driven Mustangs in the snow since there were Mustangs, soooo go for it.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have an '01 GT. I put Michelin X-Ice tires on 16" steel rims. They are about 1.5" more narrow than my other tires and they help tremendously. It's usually not the conditions or the cars that cause the problems of wintering driving .

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    but.. but... i love stomping on the gas and not breaking traction in my land rover.

in a more serious note, if ya live 10+ miles outside of a decent sized town, i vote you get an s10 or something for the 3-5 days we get measurable snow.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    but.. but... i love stomping on the gas and not breaking traction in my land rover.

in a more serious note, if ya live 10+ miles outside of a decent sized town, i vote you get an s10 or something for the 3-5 days we get measurable snow.

Is that a testament to the Rovers excellent traction or it's inability to get out of it's own way?:D
    You would think that with the oil slick that it leaves in it's wake, breaking traction would be easy:D
    Sorry to perpetuate stereotypes about British cars, couldn't resist.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Get dedicated Winter tires and it will be a lot better. I would recommend getting another set of wheels with the Winter Tires and keep Summer tires on your existing wheels.

+1

I had a 2000 GT. I bought some snow tires for the rear and would always run sand in the trunk. I did just fine. Actually, it was a LOT of fun in the snow.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dedicated winter tires are the key. Not 100% Needed, but will make things a lot easier. From there you simply have to learn to be gentle with your inputs (steering, braking, acceleration) and how the car behaves in different conditions. Just look at all the police still driving around in RWD cruisers with Goodyear RSA (OEM cheap all season) tires in the winters.

Front wheel drive cars are great for people who don't want to focus on the act of driving. They typically will understeer (go strait instead of turning) in slippery conditions instead of trying to swap ends. That's easier for the average driver to correct. Mustangs and other RWD cars will not get stuck any worse than a FWD car unless the snow is too deep. If the snow is that deep, a FWD car will also get stuck. Weight and the location of the drive wheels has little to do with it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had a camaro, luckily mine had a SGS(sexy grampaw switch) to start you off in second gear. But I do know how to drive in the snow unlike that other 75% of the population...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Mustangs do good in the snow.
    Just look at these?
    mustangs%20in%20snow.jpg

:D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    They are more loyal than any machine you could ever built you know. ;)

Considering machines are incapable of loyalty, you would be correct. ;)

I used to care for and occasionally ride a friends horses now and then back in high school. A) They were a lot of fun, and B) they were a pain in the ass!

Top Bottom