• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    The obvious answer is no. I've never owned a Mustang but I have had a 4th Gen Trans Am for 8 years. They are similar in that they're both 2 door RWD V8s. The key is gentile and conservative application of power in inclement weather. In a newer Mustang (especially the new 5.0s), if you start romping that thing even in the rain, you'll go everywhere but straight.

I'm not sure exactly where you're located, but in central Indiana, do we really get enough snow to justify not getting an otherwise fun car?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Of all the rear drive cars I've driven, my Mustangs with the do-it-yourself transmissions have actually been the best in bad conditions. I even had 50's on the back of the 86. A word of warning about kitty litter: make sure you DO NOT GET the scoopable kind, as that will dissolve into slime and make things worse. The regular kind has nice sharp edges for gripping.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The ability to drive a high HP/torque rear-wheel drive vehicle without a bunch of assist technology in snow is a pre-req for obtaining/maintaining the man card. Or should be.
    Hey wait!! You're right, but how do you know that?? :n00b: Have you been sneakin' into the mancard training meetings, or what? :dunno:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a 1997 Mustang in 2003. It has a small six engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and standard all-weather tires. I grew up in Fort Wayne so I learned to drive in the snow back in the late 1960s—before all the so-called hi-tech gizmos took over the driving and braking responsibilities. Driving in the snow in the Fort since 2003 has not been a problem. I have never been stuck in deep snow, nor have I been off the road due to slick conditions. I have gotten two speeding tickets during that time, so I am not driving like an 85-yr-old lady (ladies from Pasadena excepted from this comparison).

My daughter-in-law, driving a small, light automatic Lexus, was off the road repeatedly and crashed twice during that time. Not sure if the crashes were her fault. I just mention it to demonstrate that road conditions were often difficult during the years of which I speak. I had no problems getting around town in my Mustang, but she had endless problems with her Lexus.

My son, Mk2ja, learned to drive in the Mustang. Early in the process I took him to Carroll High School parking lot on a snow day, when the lot was empty. I taught him to do doughnuts in the icy parking lot. He learned how easy is was to break traction with the Mustang in snow or on ice. He learned how to maneuver the Mustang on snow and ice. We had a blast spinning around the parking lot, and the kid earned his man card. :woot: The kid often drove my Mustang around the Fort in snowy, icy conditions. He never went off the road, never got stuck—at least not in the Mustang. He did get stuck in mud once with his Ford Ranger :facepalm:, but that was not due to driving skill.

BUY THE MUSTANG! First snow day, take it to an empty parking lot and learn to drive it. Take pride in knowing that you can handle a Mustang! Driving a Mustang is like tattooing your man card on your forehead!:D:cool:

Remember, chicks dig it!:ladiesman:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I bought a 1997 Mustang in 2003. It has a small six engine, 5-speed manual transmission, and standard all-weather tires. I grew up in Fort Wayne so I learned to drive in the snow back in the late 1960s—before all the so-called hi-tech gizmos took over the driving and braking responsibilities. Driving in the snow in the Fort since 2003 has not been a problem. I have never been stuck in deep snow, nor have I been off the road due to slick conditions. I have gotten two speeding tickets during that time, so I am not driving like an 85-yr-old lady (ladies from Pasadena excepted from this comparison).

My daughter-in-law, driving a small, light automatic Lexus, was off the road repeatedly and crashed twice during that time. Not sure if the crashes were her fault. I just mention it to demonstrate that road conditions were often difficult during the years of which I speak. I had no problems getting around town in my Mustang, but she had endless problems with her Lexus.

My son, Mk2ja, learned to drive in the Mustang. Early in the process I took him to Carroll High School parking lot on a snow day, when the lot was empty. I taught him to do doughnuts in the icy parking lot. He learned how easy is was to break traction with the Mustang in snow or on ice. He learned how to maneuver the Mustang on snow and ice. We had a blast spinning around the parking lot, and the kid earned his man card. :woot: The kid often drove my Mustang around the Fort in snowy, icy conditions. He never went off the road, never got stuck—at least not in the Mustang. He did get stuck in mud once with his Ford Ranger :facepalm:, but that was not due to driving skill.

BUY THE MUSTANG! First snow day, take it to an empty parking lot and learn to drive it. Take pride in knowing that you can handle a Mustang! Driving a Mustang is like tattooing your man card on your forehead!:D:cool:

Remember, chicks dig it!:ladiesman:

Chicks dig powerslides and V8 roars.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I definitely recommend buying a second set of wheels and tires with some Blizzaks or an all-season tire that rates well in the snow. It's better to know you're tires can handle the weather then depend on your man card abilities to get you through the winter.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Like others have said you should be ok unless we get a few inches of snow very quickly. I haven't driven a front wheel drive car in 6 years and have only got stuck once. A shovel in the back saved me.

The manual transmission is the only way to go if you ask me.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It doesn't even take snow, just some rain, or even a little gravel on the road, and they slide or can't stop well. The rear end is too light with that short trunk, and RWD. Just terrible in the winter time.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It doesn't even take snow, just some rain, or even a little gravel on the road, and they slide or can't stop well. The rear end is too light with that short trunk, and RWD. Just terrible in the winter time.

That is true for those who do not know how to drive them. See the testimonials above from experienced drivers. When you know what you are doing, no problem.:)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The ability to drive a high HP/torque rear-wheel drive vehicle without a bunch of assist technology in snow is a pre-req for obtaining/maintaining the man card. Or should be.

Wow, my mom qualifies for a man card:D

When I was born, our family car was a '69 Chevelle SS with the 375HP 396ci and a 4 speed. The studded snow tires off of it are still hanging on the wall in our shop. Sadly, that's all that's left of it. And no. she didn't wreck it in the snow, dad did, and it was fog that go him.

Her card would have to be revoked now days. She now complains all winter long about the arduous journey to the grocery store on well plowed roads in her new front wheel drive Buick with ABS, traction control, and all the new technology.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

Gosh I wonder what people did from like 1940 to about 1990 when most cars were still rwd.

They are far from terrible in the winter, well assuming you arent an idiot.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Been there don't that with a rear wheel drive car in the snow. I did it but won't do it again. To much stress as you started to turn Hoping there is no ice is the big one.

People did it back in the day but try it out for a winter... Have fun trying to dig out a path for the rear tires because there is no real
    Weight over the rears so far less traction.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Let's not forget that the vast majority of modern RWD vehicles employ numerous variations of traction control and anti-lock brakes that can help tremendously. Tire technology has also greatly improved over what was available when RWD cars were more common than FWD.

With our winters here in Indiana, a good set of all-season tires should fit the bill quite nicely. A good set of dedicated snow tires are certainly better, but some people don't like the inconvenience of storing another set of tires and/or wheels.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good fit for you Marc. If you're afraid of getting your Jeep dirty and stuck, I don't know that driving a Mustang in the snow is for you.

Top Bottom