• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think the most frustrating part right now is waiting for people to get back to me. Just talked to the State Police and they want me to see what the DNR is doing before they get involved, but they sounded like they agreed this is not a good situation and they are more than happy to get involved if I don't feel the DNR is doing their part. One DNR guy is in training until next week and the other can't call me back until tomorrow night. He'll probably call while I'm at the funeral home! What a week!

Gun season for deer comes in Sat.....DNR won't have time for anything after that for a few weeks.....they either working, or out hunting themselves.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    :yesway: to Mom45. You have been very informative with the goings on at your place (maybe even too much for legal reasons) and have done an excellent job of not letting the trolls and the certain few members that are negative and only wish to stir up trouble get to you. (I can only assume that is from the knowledge you have gained from dealing with the neighbor) I know that you will get this situation resolved in the best possible way. I for one am glad that you decided to make INGO part of your life. You are a great addition to the forrum. I'm praying for a speedy resolution and wisdom in all your decisions.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I think the most frustrating part right now is waiting for people to get back to me. Just talked to the State Police and they want me to see what the DNR is doing before they get involved, but they sounded like they agreed this is not a good situation and they are more than happy to get involved if I don't feel the DNR is doing their part. One DNR guy is in training until next week and the other can't call me back until tomorrow night. He'll probably call while I'm at the funeral home! What a week!

I have to admit I'm missing how DNR is involved other than game violations, or ISP for that matter. The case should be handled by the sheriff's department. Sounds like three agencies playing hot potato.

Getting a well-connected local attorney might get LE off the dime.

Meanwhile your attorney can also start looking into some sort of injunction, in addition to an action in tort. Whether LE handles this or not, there's a lot of negligence apparently going on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have to admit I'm missing how DNR is involved other than game violations, or ISP for that matter. The case should be handled by the sheriff's department. Sounds like three agencies playing hot potato...

The triage to separate the wheat from the chaff at theses agencies is daunting. From the other end, the faster they can call a problem "solved," the faster they can call their work/responsibility done.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    DNR apparently is the one to handle issues related to firearms from everything I have been told. We shall see where this goes....funeral home is unrelated to the neighbor. Unhappy news about a friend and another neighbor both arrived yesterday...two funeral homes.

I'm all too familiar with government agencies passing the buck back and forth.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Any LEO agency can handle the issues going on with this thread. A town marshal from five miles away can legally handle the problem. I would assume what is going on between agency's is that one does not want to step on the others determination of the problem. I have not read through all of these posts so I do not know everything that has been posted. What I do know is that ANY officer that was sent on this call should have gathered the pertinent information, looked at the damage and went and talked to the other involved party. IMO at a minimum both parties should have been given their options. If the evidence pointed to the "assumed" to be shooter,he should have been given a warning in such a way that he would have no doubt what would happen next if the damage continued. I would also have given a trespass order, even though it is not needed if signs are present.

Some issues I see is proving who did the damage. Some sort of video would be handy but maybe not practical. Trail cams work great for trespassers. It would also be a good idea to call LE when the shooting is going on. Basically if what the OP has wrote are all correct, what is going on here is someone not getting a solution to their problem and then calling other agency's in hopes of getting what you need/want or even deserve. I would recommend calling the same agency each and every time. Get the names of who responded and what they did. Call every single time you have a problem.

It really doesn't serve any purpose calling the DNR or ISP. There is no more they can do than your sheriffs department or your nearest town marshal can do if they are convinced something needs done. It all boils down to what they are willing to do and if they have a clear understanding of what is going on.:twocents:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The sheriff's department called the DNR and turned it over to them. The last call was called in to the sheriff because the neighbor did not have the dnr number and I was driving down the road and could not look it up for him or call on his behalf. The sheriff was busy and they dispatched a different DNR officer the second time.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The sheriff's department called the DNR and turned it over to them. The last call was called in to the sheriff because the neighbor did not have the dnr number and I was driving down the road and could not look it up for him or call on his behalf. The sheriff was busy and they dispatched a different DNR officer the second time.

So they either didn't have the manpower, time or knowledge to deal with it or they just did not want to mess with it. I know some of these smaller sheriffs departments are shoe string thin on people and money. We have a sheriffs department near me that usually has one guy on the road for the entire county. They also have very few small town agency's in the county. That makes it rough.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    So they either didn't have the manpower, time or knowledge to deal with it or they just did not want to mess with it. I know some of these smaller sheriffs departments are shoe string thin on people and money. We have a sheriffs department near me that usually has one guy on the road for the entire county. They also have very few small town agency's in the county. That makes it rough.

All they have to do is get a deputy out there to make a report and forward it to the prosecutor. I'm assuming they must have a detective?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

Our county has serious budget problems. We have at most two deputies on duty at any given time from what I have been told. If one calls off for any reason, the other is on duty alone and those who are off duty are used as back up IF they are available. It is a big county in terms of area and it can easily take 30 minutes or more to get from one end to the other with lights and sirens going so I fully understand the frustrations that the guys on the department deal with.

I was also told that the prosecutor has so many drug cases, burglary cases, etc. that this is not going to be a priority for him to prosecute over damage to trees (they seem to have been ignoring the endangerment aspect). However, if someone gets hit with a bullet, then it would be different...so there ya go...they feel that until someone gets shot, there isn't much they can do. I disagree and am not backing down. Might not make me popular but at least I won't be dead or injured from flying lead. Lots of calls out there so I'll be following up on any that are not returned as promised.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Our county has serious budget problems. We have at most two deputies on duty at any given time from what I have been told...

I was also told that the prosecutor has so many drug cases, burglary cases, etc. that this is not going to be a priority ...

This the the standard whine from our public servants everywhere. It has a different bend in the large metro areas, but it is the same.
    When an agency is paid for with tax dollars, there is NEVER enough. With all due respect to our agencies, schools, administration, etc, they have learned very, very well how to play the "budget" card.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Our county, has serious budget problems. We have at most two deputies on duty at any given time from what I have been told. If one calls off for any reason, the other is on duty alone and those who are off duty are used as back up IF they are available. It is a big county in terms of area and it can easily take 30 minutes or more to get from one end to the other with lights and sirens going so I fully understand the frustrations that the guys on the department deal with.

I was also told that the prosecutor has so many drug cases, burglary cases, etc. that this is not going to be a priority for him to prosecute over damage to trees (they seem to have been ignoring the endangerment aspect). However, if someone gets hit with a bullet, then it would be different...so there ya go...they feel that until someone gets shot, there isn't much they can do. I disagree and am not backing down. Might not make me popular but at least I won't be dead or injured from flying lead. Lots of calls out there so I'll be following up on any that are not returned as promised.

Why don't you make an appointment with the prosecutor? Request to speak with them and tell them whats has been going on.

As for your sheriffs department, Indiana has a number of county departments like yours. They have very little to work with and depend alot on other agency's

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    mom45 I haven't bothered to read the thread but if it has not been mentioned already I think you should consult an attorney.

Top Bottom