• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    After talking to my dad, that is actually a question/comment I plan to include in my conversation with the state police when I call them tomorrow. If there is a bullet flying past me and I have my pistol on my side, I am pretty sure I would have every right to return fire. Especially, if they are shooting knowing that I am in that area. When I go back there for any reason, I wear my orange hat and last time I was carrying two white buckets to put the walnuts in that I was collecting...walked back banging the buckets together so they could hear me coming just to make sure they weren't getting ready to start shooting. I never go back there without my gun on my hip.
    Don't let these guys get you thinking about shooting back at him, or his property! (for damaging your property)
    Now, if he is intentionally shooting AT you, then yes, you would be justified, and I would fully expect you to shoot back!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Don't let these guys get you thinking about shooting back at him, or his property! (for damaging your property)
    Now, if he is intentionally shooting AT you, then yes, you would be justified, and I would fully expect you to shoot back!

My dad brought it up when we were talking, and he said the same thing. If he KNOWS we are out there and intentionally is shooting in our direction, he felt it would be self defense and that I should ask the state police that when I talk to them...if that would be their take on it as well. I am not interested in shooting anyone, but I honestly put nothing past him and I am not going to allow him to terrorize me to the point where I cannot even walk on my own property. If there is a gun pointed at me and I feel in danger of being shot, I will defend myself. I sent an email to Guy as I have had two messages now directing me to his web site and recommending him highly as a person who could advise/help.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My dad brought it up when we were talking, and he said the same thing. If he KNOWS we are out there and intentionally is shooting in our direction, he felt it would be self defense and that I should ask the state police that when I talk to them...if that would be their take on it as well. I am not interested in shooting anyone, but I honestly put nothing past him and I am not going to allow him to terrorize me to the point where I cannot even walk on my own property. If there is a gun pointed at me and I feel in danger of being shot, I will defend myself. I sent an email to Guy as I have had two messages now directing me to his web site and recommending him highly as a person who could advise/help.
    Good, you seem like a sensible person. I hope you get this taken care of without ANYONE getting shot!
    hopefully you don't need to pay an attorney to get this guy to stop though. I'm having trouble understanding why law enforcement can't do something about someone shooting on to another's property and causing damage. Do they have to wait until someone gets shot before they can do something?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The shooter is the idiot from the city. Why is it that people think they can buy five acres and they have a lot of property?
    Because to the poor sap who scrimped and saved while living on his .11 acre suburban lot, it is! (I think I'm beginning to understand the neighbor's irritation.)

After talking to my dad, that is actually a question/comment I plan to include in my conversation with the state police when I call them tomorrow. If there is a bullet flying past me and I have my pistol on my side, I am pretty sure I would have every right to return fire. Especially, if they are shooting knowing that I am in that area. When I go back there for any reason, I wear my orange hat and last time I was carrying two white buckets to put the walnuts in that I was collecting...walked back banging the buckets together so they could hear me coming just to make sure they weren't getting ready to start shooting. I never go back there without my gun on my hip.
    Yeah, this is a novel idea that hasn't been discussed intermittently for the last 9 pages. Let us know what ISP says.

Sent her a PM and advised her to contact Guy Relford
    You must have the magic touch. The 2 dozen other recommendations to contact a lawyer seemed to fall on deaf ears for the past 2 days.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Good, you seem like a sensible person. I hope you get this taken care of without ANYONE getting shot!
    hopefully you don't need to pay an attorney to get this guy to stop though. I'm having trouble understanding why law enforcement can't do something about someone shooting on to another's property and causing damage. Do they have to wait until someone gets shot before they can do something?
    They can. The claim is that they aren't doing anything.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Because to the poor sap who scrimped and saved while living on his .11 acre suburban lot, it is! (I think I'm beginning to understand the neighbor's irritation.)

So you know who this neighbor is? Or just taking a lucky guess?

You must have the magic touch. The 2 dozen other recommendations to contact a lawyer seemed to fall on deaf ears for the past 2 days.
    Sure cause everybody can just chunk a couple thousand dollars to a lawyer to do what a cop should be doing for nothing.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

I could care less what the state police think about the issue, the prosecutor is the one that will be charging you and all I care about is what they think about the problem, police can/cannot charge you with whatever they want but it doesn't mean crap...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have nothing constructive to add. But, any thread that has references to local PD, sheriff, DNR, ISP, FBI, BATFE, tannerite, burning houses down and Boy George is just something I want to be a part of.:ingo:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We don't have the other side of the story, but due to the lack thereof, I see no reason not to advise as if it were true, until another side refutes it.

So in this story this guy, apparently from the city, moved way out to the sticks next to mom45. He may or may not have scrimped and saved, may or may not have lived on a .11 acre suburban lot, but now lives on his mother's-in-law 5 acres. As a guy, my powers of intuition probably don't match yours, but to me the antagonist in this story doesn't seem to be the scrimping/saving/suburban dwelling type guy. Nevertheless, that in itself doesn't make him the idiot. Shooting onto other people's land without permission makes him the idiot, and the bit about gun in one hand, beer in the other, that's just pudding.

Yeah, this is a novel idea that hasn't been discussed intermittently for the last 9 pages. Let us know what ISP says.
    Agreed. Shooting back in this circumstance would definitely make it two idiots.

In 350+ posts lawyering up is probably the most common and definitely sound advice. Contacting the ISP may be better advice, and it's cheaper. But if she has to go the layer route, whatever it costs, it'd certainly cost less than shooting back would cost. In fairness, though, she has favorably mentioned seeking out the advice of an attorney.

But this thread is now far beyond just seeking/giving advice. It's an intriguing thread. How can you get more personable than having a screen name like mom45, and talk about strapping a Springfield Ultra-compact stainless to your hip? And the story resonates with people, probably especially men, and we've all reacted with an understandable outrage. I'm not unsubscribing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The problem now is that it has been discussed ad-nauseum here, even if the shoot was perfectly justified and it was caught on video with the neighbor screaming at her about how he was going to kill her and aiming his gun and shooting her while she was tending to a sick nun, all this "shoot back" talk by her and everyone else just paints her as a bloodthirsty killer waiting to trap her innocent victim. A fact which a stupid prosecutor or a damages lawyer will not hesitate to use if she did have to defend herself, no matter how justified. We have at least a couple of examples now of people's posts on InGO being used against them in a court action.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I believe I have said from the beginning that I am willing to contact a lawyer and plan to. There is no point in paying lawyer fees until I have all of the info that they need...documentation is going to be requested and I want to have it ready to deliver before they ask. As soon as I have all of the reports from the calls and talk to the state police, I will also be contacting the attorney that I know locally. I did email Guy because I have had two people now message me and tell me how good he is about gun laws and such. I am not shooting anyone unless that would become absolutely necessary to defend myself.

This guy didn't save up money for anything...he moved in with his mommy in law and has his kids living in the unattached garage where they have their parties and do their drugs and let their visitors trespass on neighboring properties. None of them at that address have ever respected property boundaries, and have been told countless times to stay on their own property with their parties, their garbage, their four wheelers and now their bullets. We had to put up the fence because tree stands and ground blinds kept moving farther and farther onto our property and survey pins apparently weren't good enough to show him where the line is. The fence is now there around two sides of his property to clarify that line even though the fence is 6 inches on our side. There is a road we can drive our truck on next to the fence as we had to remove trees to put up the fence in order to get our tractor back there and such. He was warned that if the trespassing continued, a fence would be put up. When we put it up, we also hung several no hunting/no trespassing signs. Those were immediately shot full of holes. We talked to him and pointed out that when they are shooting those signs, there is nothing behind them to stop the bullets. We also told him he needed to replace every damaged sign. Surprisingly, he did that once. Then the signs disappeared so I started making my own rather than buying them and printed signs out that clearly state the statute about it being illegal to hunt, shoot, retrieve deer, etc. on other's property without permission. They continue to shoot our signs or tear them down, and I continue to replace them as needed. We discovered the new target set up while looking for one of our cats that went missing in September and have decided that we can no longer just deal with their behavior. It is now unsafe for all of the neighbors in the path of their bullets. The damage to my trees is also something I have no intention of just tolerating. I know "it's just trees" to some people, but wooded property is getting cleared for farm ground like crazy around here and I do not care to see the habitat destroyed. We saved our money and bought our property and have the right to use OUR property the way we wish to do so. We bought it. We pay the taxes on it. Why should the neighborhood all be terrorized by one guy who thinks he can do whatever he wants and put everyone else's life at risk. I don't think I am exaggerating this at all. If so, I would not have received the frantic call on Sunday from the neighbor to his west that was trapped behind my tree while bullets were flying past on both sides of him.

I think people are following this thread partially because there is the "what if that was me dealing with this problem" factor and partially because it is just so hard to grasp that anyone would be so irresponsible as to do what this guy is doing and just shooting high powered firearms anywhere where there is the possibility of a bullet hitting someone. This isn't just A random bullet that left his property. This is hundreds of them every time he shoots.

I'm still pretty amazed that our sheriff's department appears to think that NOTHING can be done until someone gets shot. I don't want to see anyone hurt, not the idiot doing the shooting or someone on his property (some people have to be protected from themselves) and certainly not one of the other people in our neighborhood. I like my neighbors and tried to get along with this guy but nobody in the neighborhood gets along with him or his kids because of things they have done to everyone around them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    and partially because it is just so hard to grasp that anyone would be so irresponsible as to do what this guy is doing and just shooting high powered firearms anywhere where there is the possibility of a bullet hitting someone. This isn't just A random bullet that left his property. This is hundreds of them every time he shoots.

It's not that hard for me to believe, I've lived out in the sticks for a long time and while most of my neighbors are decent, there's always a few who think that because they live far away from the eyes of the law they can do whatever they want. It has always been that way and it always will be. Unlike in the cities though, these people stand out far more readily because they are sprinkled around liberally out here and are very visible. In the cities they tend to cluster in areas with other areas being relatively free of them.

I've had people argue with me telling me they were on national forest or state forest and had a right to hunt my property, I've had people get pissy with me when they didn't understand that they just ran their four wheeler through an area I was growing cucumbers just because it didn't "look" like a garden and I am not only mad they were running their four wheeler on my property but that they destroyed something I'd worked for. I've had people destroy my gate turning around in my driveway, and on and on. There's very little the idiots can do that will surprise me.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've had people argue with me telling me they were on national forest or state forest and had a right to hunt my property, I've had people get pissy with me when they didn't understand that they just ran their four wheeler through an area I was growing cucumbers just because it didn't "look" like a garden and I am not only mad they were running their four wheeler on my property but that they destroyed something I'd worked for. I've had people destroy my gate turning around in my driveway, and on and on. There's very little the idiots can do that will surprise me.

I think we've seen it all here. People who tell me they have permission to hunt my property when they don't, dirt bikes, four wheelers, trash dumpers, meth labs left in our woods, etc. I don't want ANYONE on my land at this point. Too many people having stuff stolen from outbuildings and homes and this guys kids have been accused of several thefts in the area but none proven. Enough that it makes me not trust them and certainly not want them on my ground checking out what I have or don't have. People just seem to be disrespectful far more than they used to be. Maybe we just encounter more of them, but I sure appreciate my good neighbors!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    It shouldn't matter if you live on .11 acres or 1000 acres. Shouldn't matter if you live in the city or the sticks. Shouldn't matter if you live on Mars for gods sake! You should be able to go outside on your property to do anything you like without getting shot at. And people in here who wish to aurgue the fact that its ok for any person to cast a bullet in another persons direction is sad. If you think this is a proper way to live your life let me know, I pass houses for sale in Gary every day. Very cheap, ya can shoot at each other all day and night.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I think the most frustrating part right now is waiting for people to get back to me. Just talked to the State Police and they want me to see what the DNR is doing before they get involved, but they sounded like they agreed this is not a good situation and they are more than happy to get involved if I don't feel the DNR is doing their part. One DNR guy is in training until next week and the other can't call me back until tomorrow night. He'll probably call while I'm at the funeral home! What a week!

Top Bottom