How old were you when you got your first....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How old were you when you got your first job?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Worked at Wendy's for 8 years starting at age 14. My parents insisted, and then didn't let me get a license until I was 18. I had to depend on them for rides, so I spent many hours sitting around waiting for them to pick me up.

Now I am a wife and mother, best job in the world!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    First real job (aka taxes taken out) was 17 at McDonalds. Did it for two months. Then went to two pizza places, Krogers before my senior year of high school I was told I should apply for a part time job at a tv station. That was in 2001. I got full time in 2005 and am still here. I did mow lawns for a short time at 15, but it was hard to get a job since I didn't get my drivers license until I was 17. Between now and when I started part time, I have worked five years part time at a grocery store, a few months at a bowling on my colleges campus, a few months at a medical transportation company.

Daltech Force

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Great question. I would ride my bike down to this old guy's leather shop and he would pay me to gather up all the oldest, grungiest, ugliest, dryed up leather harnesses brought in by local farmers. I would put them in this 3x4 make-shift wire basket and lower them into what I know now was old motor oil out of the tractor and other engines with as much neat's foot oil as he could afford. I'd leave them soaking in that black gunk for about 15 minutes then I'd lift it out and let it drain off for the rest of the day and night. The next morning and day I would spend wiping down all the leather pieces so they would last another 5 years or so in the weather and fields. I swore I would not ever work with leather. Now I own a leather business - go figure.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I found a job as a dog sitter in the paper when I was 12. It was a joke, but it was money. Later I got a paper route, in the projects... yeah that was fun ;)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't remember how old I was, but I mowed a lot of lawns, winterized boats on the lake then unwinterized them in the spring, several summer jobs, including scabbing at Kroger during the strike (dating myself there, but it was $5.50/hr! Oh, and there was this one girl I got to go way back in the bottle sorting line with...), Central Hardware (dating myself again), whatnot. Developed some sort of work ethic there for a while.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Don't remember how old I was, but I mowed a lot of lawns, winterized boats on the lake then unwinterized them in the spring, several summer jobs, including scabbing at Kroger during the strike (dating myself there, but it was $5.50/hr! Oh, and there was this one girl I got to go way back in the bottle sorting line with...), Central Hardware (dating myself again), whatnot. Developed some sort of work ethic there for a while.

Keep 'dating yourself' and you'll go blind....:laugh:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    13-16...I think

I think I was in my early teens, but to be honest, it may have been earlier. My father owned his own woodcraft shop. I worked in his shop most summers, and got paid occasionally (ain't that how working for family works?). Spent more time with power sanders than I care to recall...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was 6'1" and 175 ibs in 8th grade. The boss never asked for ID. Later, I asked for the day off to celebrate my 16th birthday. That really made him nervous because I had been using his car to run errands for over a year. He never asked If I had a license, he asked if I could drive.

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    16 years old

16 years old, sophomore in high school: had to start paying for my own clothes and car. I hate being without work (paid or not)!

God gave Man work even before the Fall. That's an important detail that is easy to forget. Men without work get into trouble. That's something the younger men need to learn ASAP.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    when i was 12-13 i was mowing 3-5 yards a week at 25 bucks a pop. mowed, weed-eated, and sidewalks swept up. granted, i only have the slightest clue of how that has made me who i am now. (built a good work ethic it seems.)

at the age of 16 i got my first real job. despised every second of it. (krogers)
    after a few months of hell at the communist headquarters, i got a job with a party supply store. for the rest of my highschool years i loved it.

and now when im at my current job, it makes me feel like im making a difference in other peoples lives. (medical facility). im just not too sure if what im after in a job is happiness, or a sense of self-fulfillment.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I found a picture of Snorko working as head cook!

headhunter.jpg

Nice man-boobs Snorko! :laugh:

Top Bottom