How old were you when you got your first....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How old were you when you got your first job?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Day or two after my 16th birthday. I was the "cart attendant" at Value City Department Store in Calumet City, IL.

My duties included: Retrieving shopping carts (from AAAALLL around the lot because those people are too stupid/lazy to walk to a cart corral) Also general housekeeping. Mostly stuff that gets broken and spills(because those people are too stupid to walk around or pick things up without breaking them). Also cleaning the bathrooms(because those women are too stupid to crap, barf, ****, and throw toilet paper IN the toilet[ALSO HOW DO YOU CRAP ON A WALL OR CEILING WTF] and don't understand that the customer service person that didn't give you what you wanted isn't the one who has to clean up your mess when you destroy the bathroom for revenge) Also collecting the hangers and organizing them on a stupid rack thing(because giving away the cheap plastic hangers like every other store ever to exist costs a small amount of money and the company is owned by a tightwad)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sadly that last one is a nephew of mine, 25 an never had a job, 2 yrs college, very smart.....still living at home. What can I say, they taught him well....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was 12 or 13 (so I marked 13 on the poll). I got a job cutting weeds out of soybean fields for farmers in the area. Yeah, they really used to do that. That was of course just summer work. Then started working regular at 16.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I was 12 or 13 (so I marked 13 on the poll). I got a job cutting weeds out of soybean fields for farmers in the area. Yeah, they really used to do that. That was of course just summer work. Then started working regular at 16.

Hey I did the same thing...I also made money from age 8 up in trapping, usually got around 40 rats, 1 big mink, several coon an 2 to 8 fox, some yrs got me 400.00 or more....not bad money back before you had a car in the 70's.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    16, shortly after getting my drivers license I got a job as a cashier at the same grocery store my dad worked as a meatcutter in. When things started going south with the company I was "demoted" to a bagger so they could afford to keep me (less pay, hell of a lot more work). One of the funnest jobs I ever had. Laid a great work ethic foundation. All kinds of good memories. Could wrangle 40 something carts on my own (no lazy cart collector machine)...and the oldies tape they ceaselessly played on repeat...and the scary/smelly room we deposited garbage bags, a co-worker once jumped out of it with a mask on and scared me s**tless, who knows how long he was in there holding his breath lol...even had a little high school romance start up from working there...good times overall. Sadly the company went bankrupt less than a year later :'( but I'll always have those memories...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was running my own business at age 14. Started with a $1200 loan from my dad and renting some equipment from him.

By age 19 I had built the business to a net worth of over $50k, employeed up to 8 employees during peak times, and had made another $50k in profits. Pretty sweet gig for a high-schooler... too much to handle while going to college so I sold the business and invested the money in guns and Roth IRA's...

Busted my butt all summer every summer while all the other kids were goofing around... now most of those kids work jobs that pay $8-14/hr and I hold a steady job and am very blessed for my hard work.

The longest day I ever put in working that job was 20 hours... Got up at 6 am one morning to get everything ready and going and the weather held out for us all day and most of the way into the night so we were able to work until just after 1 am. By the time we got home it was going on 3 am... probably some sort of curfew violation or something but I didn't care...

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Same as ted...Mowing, shoveling, paper route, taking the trash out for some elderly folks around me. Washing their cars and windows. Building or re-building Mini-bikes and go-karts as well as bicycles. I made a lot of money fixing all the bikes in the area. turning 20" bikes into sting-rays was very profitable at that time. Spoke lacing 3 speed assembly's from British bikes into the 20" bikes was a sweet deal as well. Ahh, those were the days. Cash was king.

Cash still is King for me!

Started mowing laws at 11, Grocery store bag boy at 15 and continued to mow some NICE ladies yards into high school.....

Have always had a cash flow business or side jobs.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I got my first money making activity when I was 12 playing bass for bands on Fridays and Saturdays at restaurants and kids friendly places. I then got my first real job the summer I turned 15 working at a guitar store. Had a job ever since then at various places. I'm 19 now and still work and go to college.

Top Bottom