Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Excluding prepping counts

How much ammo do you use in a year?

6000 rounds is being thrown out as if that is a huge amount

I shoot 50 to 100 rd per caliber per month in my selfdefense guns. I shoot 5-10 rounds per month to be used to my rifles and maintain zero.

My wife shoots.

We may use 3-5000 rounds a year not counting .22

Now if society sees nothing wrong with coupon hoarding and buying toilet paper in bulk to wipe my behind at the local wholesale club then why am I suspicious for stockpiling ammo af a good price?

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    It is just another time where the main stream media sensationalizes a story to push the liberal agenda of gun control. The gun control freaks start licking their lips everytime something like this happens.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I'm not a prepper but ive got about 4000(+/-1000) rounds of various calibers stocked up now, and it changes all the time depending on how much shooting i get to do or how much ammo i find for a good deal. you can never have too much ammo realistically. never know when the prices will rise and I like to be able to just grab my guns and a days worth of ammo at any time, and theres some days where ill go thru 1000-1500 rounds in a session so i like to stay stocked up and will buy ammo anytime i come across a good deal.

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I heard that number I started thinking "how much ammo do I have on hand?" Oops I'd be on their list as well and I don't have nearly the stash I'd like to have. Bottom line is someone who has never been around guns and raised in the anti-gun environment that most of the media has been raised in, anything more than a box of 20 sounds like a lot of ammo. The idea that you could go through a couple hundred rounds training is a foreign concept to them. Listening to WOWO today the afternoon host seemed to have problems grasping why you would want to carry a gun for self defense and WOWO is not exactly a liberal station.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I hit the range a couple times a month (or slightly more if I can get away) and easily shoot 100 - 150 rounds per caliber for each gun. Then my boys shoot 300 - 400 rounds of .22LR each time I go to the range as well.

How much is too much ? :dunno:

For me, the glass is half empty.. instead of too much, it's "should be more" :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm with those that say there is no such thing as too much. It is only too much if you aren't shooting it up and then replacing it! I shoot on average about 2-3,000 a year conservatively, but I'd like to be able to shoot more. I generally tend to have too many irons in the fire and don't just concentrate on the ammo part, but with this being an election year, it is probably a great idea to stock up on extra mags, primers and the like.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'd never really crunched the numbers before but I guess I probably go through somewhere north of 5,000 per year.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    My numbers.

I just recently started,"crunching the numbers", on the amount of .40 and 9mm I have been going through a year. I also quit procrastinating and began reloading my own a few weeks ago and this is why. I live about two miles from MCF&G where I am a member and usually go to the range two to three mornings a week (I retired last year). On those visits I will shoot 150 to 200 rounds of .40 S&W and 9mm depending on how many guns I am shooting that day. I have been buying most of my range ammo at Wal-Mart and putting the receipts in an envelope in my shop. When I finally got around to tallying them up I was somewhat stunned (to say the least)! Last year I shot just a little over 9500 rounds of purchased ammunition mostly.40 S&W. My total ammo tab for the year was $3,230.27! :ar15: :rolleyes: That was an average of .34 cents a round. I do not consider myself a,"gun nut". I carry a G27 for personal protection and have a G22 by the bedside. I do try to compete a few times a year at a GSSF match but other than that I just enjoy being at the range on those early mornings,shooting and visiting with a few friends.

So no I do not think six thousand rounds is a lot of ammunition to purchase. I do however believe that on my now fixed income $3,230.27 is a bit ridiculous!! The good news is that this year I will most likely amortize most of the cost of the new reloading equipment and components, shoot maybe 12,000 rounds and keep a couple of extra nickels for new shoes! :D

PS: I just wish that for all the lead and copper I have sent into the berm in the last few years I would show more improvement. :rolleyes: My overall marksmanship still sucks! :n00b:

Last edited:

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    i run 400 rounds per month or so. about half of that is 22 for financial reasons. probably 2500 rounds on hand in various calibers. wish i had more, but its hard to keep on hand when its so daggone fun.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Since I'm cheap and centerfire ammo is pricey and I like to stash, I'm counting .22 in my numbers :D

So far this year, I've probably shot 7000 rounds. Hell, I shot about 4000 rounds of 22 by April, then is got hotter than hell and worked picked up.

Done about 800 rounds of .38 special, only 500 .45acp, 300 .41 magnum, 300-400 9mm, 200 or so .308, another 300 rounds of assorted calibers from 375 H&H, .30-06, 22 short, .44 mag, etc. from when I had to test fire a gun.

The other difference is .22LR. Damn I love my Buckmark :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just recently started,"crunching the numbers", on the amount of .40 and 9mm I have been going through a year. I also quit procrastinating and began reloading my own a few weeks ago and this is why. I live about two miles from MCF&G where I am a member and usually go to the range two to three mornings a week (I retired last year). On those visits I will shoot 150 to 200 rounds of .40 S&W and 9mm depending on how many guns I am shooting that day. I have been buying most of my range ammo at Wal-Mart and putting the receipts in an envelope in my shop. When I finally got around to tallying them up I was somewhat stunned (to say the least)! Last year I shot just a little over 9500 rounds of purchased ammunition mostly.40 S&W. My total ammo tab for the year was $3,230.27! :ar15: :rolleyes: That was an average of .34 cents a round. I do not consider myself a,"gun nut". I carry a G27 for personal protection and have a G22 by the bedside. I do try to compete a few times a year at a GSSF match but other than that I just enjoy being at the range on those early mornings,shooting and visiting with a few friends.

So no I do not think six thousand rounds is a lot of ammunition to purchase. I do however believe that on my now fixed income $3,230.27 is a bit ridiculous!! The good news is that this year I will most likely amortize most of the cost of the new reloading equipment and components, shoot maybe 12,000 rounds and keep a couple of extra nickels for new shoes! :D

PS: I just wish that for all the lead and copper I have sent into the berm in the last few years I would show more improvement. :rolleyes: My overall marksmanship still sucks! :n00b:

My thoughts exactly, except I went another route and picked up Advantage Arms conversion kits for my Glock 27 and 23. A little investment into the kits, to save a good amount of $ on ammo. I still shoot some .40, but not nearly as much as I did before buying the kits. Maybe one day I'll get into reloading, but I'll need more time and less distractions to put the attention into reloading I would need to do it safely.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just get the feeling these reporters who aren't around the firearms community get the idea that we need 1-5 rounds per year so we can put on our hunter orange and have a couple to miss the deer with before we nail 'im. We are like a foreign country to those guys and we need some way to promote ourselves in a positive manner.

Olympic team skeet shooters get there by shooting thousands of rounds not 1 or 2. Maybe Team USA could get through to them.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i know i've gone off the deep end when i have ammo for firearms that i dont even own. not like it looses value. gives me a reason to hoard more brass. :) god i love reloading

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Have to say, never really kept much track. I do know, these things though, 6000 rounds is not a lot at all, unless you have to pick up and carry that crap. Moving a pallet of ammo for an Army range, two wooden boxes at a time, yea, gets pretty tiring, takes forever, and makes you think that no matter how fun it is, its not worth all that work. Although, still always love shooting.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    also, forgot to say, depends on what you do as well. My buddy helps run/teach a shooting school when he is in the states, so 6000 rounds is a days work, give or take. When we are heading out with the Boy Scouts, we tend to buy another brick or two of 22LR, cause can never have too much. Speaking of that, so glad to actually have a .22LR pistol this time, help start cutting down on this ammo addiction all my firearms have

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I usually go through about 400-500 rounds per week including everything from .22lr to .308. Shooting only 50 weeks per year would equate to 20,000 -25,000 rounds. I stock enough ammunition and components to get me through periods of unavailability and still have enough on hand to shoot. You know you have too much when you need to put more support under your floor to correct sagging.

That said, I haven't been shooting in over 3 weeks because all the ranges are shutdown due to fire risk. We need rain badly - suffering major shooting withdrawal.:(

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I have always been the type of person that if I use
    a lot of something I stock up on it !
    Ammo is the same way !
    I try and buy things when I have the money
    cause you never know when you may not have the money
    for it ?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Pfft, I keep mine in the half-basement on the concrete slab (humidity controlled). Couldn't begin to tell you what all I have; there's 1820 rounds of 5.56 in the dining room right now between M196 and M855.

Top Bottom