• ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    How much handgun ammo is enough?
    Assuming a person has reloading tools/supplies how much ammo would you keep on hand?
    How about reloading supplies? How many rounds do you want to be able to reload?
    I am asking about Handgun ammo. not your SHTF longuns.
    I ask because to my feeble mind, the handguns are a last gasp defense item and may be occasionally useful around the retreat, but not very often.
    You're thoughts?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I usually keep enough to load a 1000 rounds at all times,

with wild *** hoarding going on it forcing the more sensible of us to increase our supply's so that we can shoot our regular amount.

before things went nuts it wasnt' a big deal to get supply's less than 1k rounds but with the demand and other things I think minimum is 1k, for your rimfires you might want to increase to 5k

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I usually keep enough to load a 1000 rounds at all times,

While things are relatively peaceful, and you have electricity/lights to see with, wouldn't it be better to convert the components into ammo? What is the advantage of stockpiling components rather than loaded ammo? Just wondering...

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    While things are relatively peaceful, and you have electricity/lights to see with, wouldn't it be better to convert the components into ammo? What is the advantage of stockpiling components rather than loaded ammo? Just wondering...

the advantage of components is price

the reason every one isn't loaded is 2 fold

one time, I sit down and load in batches

two flexibility, if something happens that I shoot the 40 more than the 38 then I load 40 ammo or vice versa,

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Are you shooting or just needing rounds "in case" you need to shoot. Therein lies the answer. Shooting requires ample supply to meet your needs. "In case", well, a few hundred would seem to be more than enough. In reality, if it's "in case" one should be shooting regularly so his shots are true. I'd never want fewer than 750-1000 rounds on hand so I can shoot, for fun, or "in case"!

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Great question, not sure there is an answer! One day 1000 rounds seems like "enough". Then last week, I was helping a buddy prepare for a range day with several guests. No ammo to be found all week long and all of a sudden my 1000 rounds does not seem like enough.
    :draw:

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Reduce your caliber needs then 5K of each. Why have to buy .38, .40, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .45??

Lean or change your weapons out to only need 9MM and .45. Then buy 5K of each. Also those calibers will probably be more scroungable in the future if the SHTF.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Personally i would say 1000+ rounds per caliber you own. If you are the type that likes to have multiple guns of easy access around the house. Then have multiple guns of the same caliber. that way it is easier to stock up on and if you have a complication with a gun or sell one, all of that ammo is not useless to you. just my :twocents:. ultimately though you cant really have too much :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking about 1000 rounds on hand per handgun, plus enough components to reload the same.
    I think the Hammond Wal-Mart will help me stock up, and I hope to get myself a reloading setup for Christmas.

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Reduce your caliber needs then 5K of each. Why have to buy .38, .40, .380, 9mm, 10mm, .45??

Lean or change your weapons out to only need 9MM and .45. Then buy 5K of each. Also those calibers will probably be more scroungable in the future if the SHTF.

I agree with spartan. Having many calibers is great for everyday life. But in a SHTF situation, I only need one. 357 Magnum. My Marlin 1894 and S&W 327 are always ready to go. I try and always keep around 2500 rounds loaded at all times.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County

I agree. You may have weapons in many calibers, but that does not necessarily mean you need to stock every caliber. 9mm and .45acp will probably be the easiest to find outside of shotgun ammo (several thousand rounds in every Wal-mart) if SHTF. Anywhere from 1000 to 5000 rounds should do.

Just remember, don't add to the ammo shortage problem. Be respectful and always leave a box on the shelf for someone else to enjoy.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I agree with you can never have too much. My wife yells at me for buying more and more. We have about 10k rounds in all for 8 firearms. Getting close to being comfy!:twocents:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Easy answer here: First, look between your legs.

If you have no balls, then the answer is 'zero'. (No point in having ammo if you don't have the balls to use it).

If you have the balls, then the answer is 'enough to fight a war'.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom