• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    I also try to keep 1000 rds around for my .45. Other pistols I have much fewer (200ish) I know this isn't a SHTF question but my reasoning is that if SHTF I would not be leaving my house with the entire arsenal. I don't plan to use my .45 for "cover fire" and I don't plan to shoot more then five times at a zombie. My math says that is a lot of dead zombies.

My answer to a rifle question would help clarify my reasoning on the pistol.

Big Hank

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    My Goals

9mm Goal 10000 rounds: I began by standardizing on 9mm my first 6 months prepping last year so I could stock up quickly on one type of ammo. All of my major defense weapons are 9mm, several 9mm pistols, a 9mm AK15, and a 9mm HiPoint rifle. As I am getting comfortable with my 9mm stock pile I've started to branch out in guns and calibers..

22lr Goal 10000 rounds and then next would be 20000. I think 22 could become the currency in a SHTF world. I have several 22 rifles and pistols

223 Goal 10000 rounds. I have AR's and AK's in this You can stock up with Russian ammo and then some US for reloading.

7.62 x 64r Goal 5000 rounds. M44 Mousin Naggut rifles. Nice long range rifle acceptable for hunting. Ammo is 400 rounds for about $100. Can't go wrong with that.

30-06 Goal 1000 rounds. Just bought a Winchester 30.06 rifle this month after noticing that Wallyworld often had this when they had nothing else. Light goes off and says "you've got ammo money in the budget and you better buy what you can.

12ga Goal 3000 rounds

calibers for trading:

40 cal. Goal 1000 rounds. I don't have anything that will use it I figure it's good to trade

45 cal. Goal 1000 rounds. My son just bought a 45 so I figure I better stock up on it too.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've consolidated all my ammo into 9mm. I don't reload, yet, but plan on it in the future if time allows. Unfortunately I don't have enough ammo stockpiled so I don't get to shoot much. But the problem lies into the fact of whether you plan to bug in or bug out. It's way too burdensome to have to lug around 2K rnds of pistol ammo on top of your rifle ammo.

Imagine if you had to bug out. Now imagine your car/truck/suv/van breaks down or is otherwise disabled. Unless you have an army with you how are you going to carry your BoB, sleeping supplies, food, guns, ammo, etc etc etc?

I've kept all my calibers into something that will be easily found: 9mm, 223/5.56/.308. This way I can have what's loaded in my mags with enough for a second or third reload for my AR, and about 10 reloads for my Pistols. Talking about my Mags of course. The .308 is a bit different as I just puchased it and have yet to shoot it. I do have some ammo, but not enough.

I've not got enough pistol mags, but at almost $40 a pop for each gun it's hard to come by. I've got 5 for my Eagle and 4 for the P250. It's half of what I would like to have, but it's something. Unfortunately I'll have to keep them in good working condition because not many people carry those.

Then again, if you're going to bug out and worried about armed zombies, you won't need to worry about your ammo supply if you're smart enough and lucky enough to retrieve ammo from the fallen zombies! :D

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    I think whatever you can reasonably afford is practical. You can never have too much. In todays world, it's probably the best investment you can make. Remember, the bartering power of ammo will be phenominal.

Top Bottom