How many women on here would like to see a singles forum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

1.) Low-budget.
    2.) Background/history beyond the war is only ever alluded to, never directly shown or really even expounded upon.
    3.) Stilted, one-dimensional characters who never expand beyond their particular individual roles.
    4.) OMF - their ship actually looks like.... a firefly!
    5.) If I see the words 'River Tam' one more time, I am going to lose it.
    6.) Some magical phrase turns River into a psycho lunatic. Another magic phrase stops her.
    7.) Reavers - halfassedly half-explained in the film, still not a plausible reason even by the standards of the slapped-together environment Whedon slapped them into.
    8.) Low-budget, and it shows.
    9.) So bad it's good is not a thing. It's just bad.
    10.) Chinese-American Alliance is the most improbable mashup this side of the Yangtze river.
    11.) Kaylee can somehow magically understand machinery with no explanation ever really given for this ability.
    12.) Tired of typing but the list goes on and on and on.

"It is not the critic who counts." - Teddy "SuperCommunist" Roosevelt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1.) Low-budget.
    2.) Background/history beyond the war is only ever alluded to, never directly shown or really even expounded upon.
    3.) Stilted, one-dimensional characters who never expand beyond their particular role.
    4.) OMF - their ship actually looks like.... a firefly!
    5.) If I see the words 'River Tam' one more time, I am going to lose it.
    6.) Some magical phrase turns River into a psycho lunatic. Another magic phrase stops her.
    7.) Reavers - halfassedly half-explained in the film, still not a plausible reason even by the standards of the slapped-together environment Whedon slapped them into.
    8.) Low-budget, and it shows.
    9.) So bad it's good is not a thing. It's just bad.
    10.) Chinese-American Alliance is the most improbable mashup this side of the Yangtze river.
    11.) Kaylee can somehow magically understand machinery with no explanation ever really given for this ability.
    12.) Tired of typing but the list goes on and on and on.

"It is not the critic who counts." - Teddy "SuperCommunist" Roosevelt

Yes to most of the above (you listed low budget 2 times....:)) but I enjoyed it from an entertainment point of view. I managed somehow to ignore the shortfalls.
    I grew up reading Sci-Fi as my mother was an avid reader. In the 60's that was a form of entertainment for me. I could consume a paper back in a day if I was into the book. Asimov, Hienlen, Norton to name a few.
    I eat up any real sci-fi offerings for that reason. Not the "C" offerings but I did watch the Firefly series when it was on the re-run circuit with the Sci-Fi channel

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Yes to most of the above (you listed low budget 2 times....:)) but I enjoyed it from an entertainment point of view. I managed somehow to ignore the shortfalls.
    I grew up reading Sci-Fi as my mother was an avid reader. In the 60's that was a form of entertainment for me. I could consume a paper back in a day if I was into the book. Asimov, Hienlen, Norton to name a few.
    I eat up any real sci-fi offerings for that reason. Not the "C" offerings but I did watch the Firefly series when it was on the re-run circuit with the Sci-Fi channel

By the time I got around to watching it, this was some years after it had aired and been pulled off the air, it had been hyped up to me so much by certain former friends of mine that I went in expecting dynamite and diamonds quality. When I finished Firefly, and confessed my total disappointment, they looked at me as though I had not watched or understood what I had just spent several, several hours watching. They said, oh, well, Serenity will clear up a lot of the stuff that wasn't explained or was unanswered in the show, like what happens between Kaylee and Simon. I watched the movie. Confessing my still-present confusion and disappointment to them, my former friends and I almost got into a knock-down drag-out brawl. Over a television show. Haven't talked to most of that group of people in the seven years since. Some people really take mediocre t.v. shows seriously.

As for sci-fi, you clearly have excellent taste. Asimov and Heinlein are two of my favorite authors period, not just sci-fi, and while I doubt I'll ever read everything Asimov wrote, most of it is pretty good, I think. Even his hard science books are interesting to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    By the time I got around to watching it, this was some years after it had aired and been pulled off the air, it had been hyped up to me so much by certain former friends of mine that I went in expecting dynamite and diamonds quality. When I finished Firefly, and confessed my total disappointment, they looked at me as though I had not watched or understood what I had just spent several, several hours watching. They said, oh, well, Serenity will clear up a lot of the stuff that wasn't explained or was unanswered in the show, like what happens between Kaylee and Simon. I watched the movie. Confessing my still-present confusion and disappointment to them, my former friends and I almost got into a knock-down drag-out brawl. Over a television show. Haven't talked to most of that group of people in the seven years since. Some people really take mediocre t.v. shows seriously.

As for sci-fi, you clearly have excellent taste. Asimov and Heinlein are two of my favorite authors period, not just sci-fi, and while I doubt I'll ever read everything Asimov wrote, most of it is pretty good, I think. Even his hard science books are interesting to me.

I owe that to my Mother. She had so many great books. I just picked one up as a boy because it had a cool cover. The "I Robot" series became the corner stone of my Sci-Fi world. I was hooked.
    Unfortunately I do little reading these days. Life is pretty full.

Sounds like you have have had to fire a few friends. I have been there/done that myself. Not over a TV show but similar areas of disagreement.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I owe that to my Mother. She had so many great books. I just picked one up as a boy because it had a cool cover. The "I Robot" series became the corner stone of my Sci-Fi world. I was hooked.
    Unfortunately I do little reading these days. Life is pretty full.

Sounds like you have have had to fire a few friends. I have been there/done that myself. Not over a TV show but similar areas of disagreement.

Between the silly stuff like t.v. shows and the serious stuff like politics, there's lots of room for disagreement. But, difference of opinions, horse races, all that. I completely agree though, a world without books is a world not worth the living in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Between the silly stuff like t.v. shows and the serious stuff like politics, there's lots of room for disagreement. But, difference of opinions, horse races, all that. I completely agree though, a world without books is a world not worth the living in.

I do believe that all the reading I did has expanded my ability to see things in a different way. I can imagine something in my mind like a project and see it all the way through to completion. I really believe the exercise of reading and seeing the pages in your mind has a lot to do in developing ones mind.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Firefly: You either get it or don't. I'll give that to you. As for sci-fi authors give Fredrick Pohl and Roger Zelazny a read. Pohl's "Job: A Comedy of Justice" is probably the best book I ever paid 0.15 for... There used to be a comic book store on 16th street just east of the track past the RR bridge. When they went out of business in the late 80's it was "all the books you can cram in a grocery sack for $1.00." I only bought a literal pickup truck load of hardbound sci-fi. I think I still have about 30 to read yet.

edit: Firefly is kind of a libertarian existence in the aftermath of an ultra-conservative statist society. I'm surprised it's not bigger amongst this crowd.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Firefly: You either get it or don't. I'll give that to you. As for sci-fi authors give Fredrick Pohl and Roger Zelazny a read. Pohl's "Job: A Comedy of Justice" is probably the best book I ever paid 0.15 for... There used to be a comic book store on 16th street just east of the track past the RR bridge. When they went out of business in the late 80's it was "all the books you can cram in a grocery sack for $1.00." I only bought a literal pickup truck load of hardbound sci-fi. I think I still have about 30 to read yet.

edit: Firefly is kind of a libertarian existence in the aftermath of an ultra-conservative statist society. I'm surprised it's not bigger amongst this crowd.

It IS pretty big in this crowd.
    Doesn't mean that EVERYONE likes it.

For the record, I like it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Christina Hendricks looked pretty good in Firefly, but then she looks pretty good in anything.:)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    She was on a couple days ago. I think she is avoiding this thread. She may have gotten her feelings hurt. Not everyone was nice about her proposed idea.

It would not be surprised if she did get her feelings hurt. Not everyone is in a happy, comfy relationship. I think she was looking for friendship and got shot down pretty fast. Kind of sad really. I have wondered if it were possible to find a girl with similar interest here on the forum. I am single. Not lonely by any means. It's hard to find a gal that likes gun's and understands the Pro2 lifestyle. I wish her luck. Hopefully she has connected with someone. And is enjoying life. If not I hope she stops in to say hi to the forum. I wish her the best of luck!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Too bad for you.

Nonsensical nonsense is disregarded.

Firefly: You either get it or don't.

It's a poorly-made television show and only-slightly-better movie. There's not much to 'get'. Firefly isn't calculus or trigonometry: it's a television show and a movie. I 'got' it all, I just wasn't terribly impressed by any of it, especially as compared to how much unjustified hype it got for years and years and even now, given how many fanboys there are out there saying things like "too bad" and "you either get it or you don't." It's a mediocre t.v. show and only-slightly-better-than-mediocre movie. Not much at all to 'get'.

Top Bottom