HOW MANY PEOPLE THINK THERE ARE PEOPLE GETTING GUN PERMITS WHO DONT EVEN NEED THEM

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    i have seen a lot of people who are getting gun permits who don't even have firearm knowledge.don't even practice with a gun to be able to hit anything.they think it's the cool thing to do.like hey look at me i got a gun permit.now i can shoot somebody and get away with it.just looking for your :twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I never figured we had to justify a "NEED" to get our permits.

I figured I lived in a free state and we have the right to protect ourselves.

As for those who don't practice, that is just stupid. But I would rather have a rational gun owner with a permit who didn't train walking the streets than someone who had his head in the clouds and thinks the police will actually come to their rescue.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I never figured we had to justify a "NEED" to get our permits.

I figured I lived in a free state and we have the right to protect ourselves.

As for those who don't practice, that is just stupid. But I would rather have a rational gun owner with a permit who didn't train walking the streets than someone who had his head in the clouds and thinks the police will actually come to their rescue.

what he said! just like all the morons with drivers licences that dont have a clue how to drive. But if the government gives them a license then they have as much right to drive on public roads as the rest of us(unfortunately).

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    <- Capslock key is on that side of the keyboard, I think you forgot to turn it off before starting your post title :P

Given that an LTCH is required to be allowed to practice in the first place, since you aren't permitted to transport your gun to the range without it, it's not much of a surprise to me. It's likely some of those people that are applying are in fact intending to get their first gun and practice with it, they just haven't done so yet because there's not much you can do with it until your LTCH shows up.

I'm in that situation now - I don't have my LTCH yet, and haven't purchased a gun yet, since I can't go to the range to practice until it shows up, and it seems useless to have it without being able to practice. Although my (lack of) patience and love of shiny things is enough that I'll probably go ahead and get one before the LTCH shows up, if only to make sure I've got it ready to go as soon as I'm allowed to take it out :)

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    A LTCH should not be "needed" by anyone. It is a right that we have at birth. Unfortunately, we have to do certain things to be able to use our "right". But thankfully our state is one of the easiest to be able to use our God given, naturally born, constitutionally demanded right.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The only reason I have one is to keep the police from killing me, imprisoning me or just making life miserable for me and mine, for exercising my rights as a free human being. The Indiana Constitution, as well as the US Constitution make no mention of the need for a permit. One of these days Indiana gun owners will get up the gumption to force the Indiana legislature to adopt Alaska style carry and make permits a thing of the past. In the meantime I paid the powers that be $100 bucks to leave me alone.

As for other folks, need has nothing to do with it.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    <- Capslock key is on that side of the keyboard, I think you forgot to turn it off before starting your post title :P

Given that an LTCH is required to be allowed to practice in the first place, since you aren't permitted to transport your gun to the range without it, it's not much of a surprise to me. It's likely some of those people that are applying are in fact intending to get their first gun and practice with it, they just haven't done so yet because there's not much you can do with it until your LTCH shows up.

I'm in that situation now - I don't have my LTCH yet, and haven't purchased a gun yet, since I can't go to the range to practice until it shows up, and it seems useless to have it without being able to practice. Although my (lack of) patience and love of shiny things is enough that I'll probably go ahead and get one before the LTCH shows up, if only to make sure I've got it ready to go as soon as I'm allowed to take it out :)
    What he said! I bought my carry gun before applying for the LTCH...talk about testing your patience. I waited two months to get my pretty pink piece of paper and hit the range promptly after. Some people may have the money for a permit but not enough for a gun; so, why not be prepared? Family and friends have been telling those they care about to get a permit while they still can, and maybe this is the result :dunno:

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My wife doesnt need her permit as we are together 99 percent of the time. But I have encouraged her to get 1 for the 1 percent we are not together.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Indiana is a shall issue state. As long as you don't have a past history that bars you from owning a gun, you can have one. I look at it as a right. That said, you are an idiot if you don't practice and proficient with your weapon of choice.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I should receive my lifetime personal protection permit in the mail with in 1 month if all goes well. I have been shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns since I was 10 years old and I'm proficient with all of them. However, the reason I applied for the permit is because the lifetime isn't being issued after July 1st which was 9 days ago.

I won't carry a handgun for years. I have no reason to. I live in a safe place and I don't feel that I need to carry a gun anywhere I go. That may change later in life but I just don't know. I will not carry a handgun simply because "I can". If I don't feel I need it, I won't carry it. Still, not applying for the lifetime before July 1st would have been giving up my right to a lifetime permit and that I am not willing to do.

It's good to be able to carry because you never know what is going to happen and if there is a major event or something you want to be able to carry a gun. For example, my family in Louisiana didn't carry but they had permits to. When Katrina hit there were lots of less than honest and responsible flood victims that moved throughout the state. If my family hadn't had carry permits they would have had to wait months to be able to legally carry. This was a time they needed to carry and they were able to do so because they were prepared. In a sense the carry permit is a survival preparation.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My next door neighbor had a 4 year LTCH and when it expired he didn't get another one because he said he didn't use it. So he didn't carry and he didn't practice. He even sold his S&W pistol. That was a few years ago. Now he lives on the west side and its ruff here where I live. Now he regrets not having one but finds it very difficult to get the time off to go apply again and of course there is the cost of another gun. Now he regrets giving up his LTCH and his weapon. Regrets will only make you feel a little smarter, but that's all regret will do for you. I hope he gets his LTCH and another gun before something happens and he needs it and doesn't have it.

There is that old saying isn't there?

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I should receive my lifetime personal protection permit in the mail with in 1 month if all goes well. I have been shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns since I was 10 years old and I'm proficient with all of them. However, the reason I applied for the permit is because the lifetime isn't being issued after July 1st which was 9 days ago.

I won't carry a handgun for years. I have no reason to. I live in a safe place and I don't feel that I need to carry a gun anywhere I go. That may change later in life but I just don't know. I will not carry a handgun simply because "I can". If I don't feel I need it, I won't carry it. Still, not applying for the lifetime before July 1st would have been giving up my right to a lifetime permit and that I am not willing to do.

It's good to be able to carry because you never know what is going to happen and if there is a major event or something you want to be able to carry a gun. For example, my family in Louisiana didn't carry but they had permits to. When Katrina hit there were lots of less than honest and responsible flood victims that moved throughout the state. If my family hadn't had carry permits they would have had to wait months to be able to legally carry. This was a time they needed to carry and they were able to do so because they were prepared. In a sense the carry permit is a survival preparation.

I'm not sure where you heard this, but it's dead wrong.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I agree with TopDog. If you are responsible enough to be able to get a permit you might as well have one. If you don't use it, so what? Nothing bad is going to come from it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, who do you think "needs" one? Who, in your mind, should be allowed to exercise Constitutional rights, and who do you think should be denied the status of free citizen?

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I'm not sure where you heard this, but it's dead wrong.

I had heard rumors and then I was told this by the receptionist at the local jail where I applied. I thought she knew what she was talking about given that she was the one doing the local application check. I'm sorry if this information is incorrect.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I wish each and every person entitled to a LTCP would get it.

What better crime preventive statistic than announcing that 100% of all legal Hoosiers may be armed, and those that aren't only need to yell for help.

Top Bottom