How many of you EDC with an extra mag.??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I carry my Glock 26 (10+1) and always carry a extra Glock 17 magazine with a A&G or ProMag grip filler (gives a 17 style grip similar to XD mags for compacts) and Pearce +3 floorplate for 20 rounds. It is typically in a Galco tuckable single mag carrier but I'll probably replace it with a homemade Kydex tuckable soon.

I carry 2 mags primarily in case of magazine failure or if the SHTF. While most defensive shootings end in under 1 magazine, I have read a few stories where reloads were needed so I think it's prudent to carry a spare. Criminals rarely work solo.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Your having a bad day if you get in a gun fight! your having a really bad day if you get in a gun fight with not enough ammo! That being said one mag in the gun three more in the center console. :draw:

basswizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Indy West
    I always carry a spare mag in a magazine case. It helps keep the dust bunnies out and helps to maintain an acceptable, accessible position in the pocket.

Kahr PM9, Crossbreed MicroClip, DM Bullard mag holster.

picture.php

Last edited:

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Carrying one mag is like only putting enough gas in your car to get where you going. If you get stuck in traffic or can't find a gas station you are out of luck. A firearm is only a badly designed club if it is out of ammo or if you have a malfunction. The magazine is the weakest link of any semi automatic firearm and carrying at least one extra mag is only extra insurance you will be able to stay in the fight. Even if your pistol mag holds 33 rounds, if the second round causes a malfunction or the mag fails you are out of ammo.

For those that carry extra mags in the car and not on your person, what is your plan for getting to the vehicle to get the mags?

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always carry an extra mag in my pocket for my XDm 40. Even though it holds 16+1, if that mag jams & I don't have another, I'm SOL. When I get the cash, I'm going to buy the IWB-tuckable dual-mag holder from Crossbreed. That'll give me two backups. Grand total of 49 cartridges on me at all times. Life threatening situations call for over-preparedness. Besides, the 2 mags on my weak side will offset the weight of the monster on my right hip & should be more comfortable.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I carry a pt145 and like many other people in this thread, if i have cargo pants or a bag or pack i take an extra mag otherwise i go with just the one.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I always carry two extra magazines for the Colt - one ten and one 8 round. I agree with the need for over preparation. I am aware that "the statistics" lean towards needing less then six rounds rounds but that is assuming a single attacker and no malfunctions. I feel the need to be prepared for all possible circumstances.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I carry an extra 15 rounder for my G19 in my front pocket. A guy I really respect carries an extra mag for his G27, so I figure I should for my G19, too. Plus I've read all the stories about needing extra rounds, etc.

Top Bottom