How long do you leave your gun "charged"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Mine are loaded, 24/7 .....

I go to the range every so often,

and fire my chambered round .....

I only unload, for cleaning .....

I try to shoot my "edc" ammo, once a year .....

and buy new .....

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    I always fire off my chambered round and a couple in the mag when I head to the range, just to my sure my self defense ammo is working okay. This forces me to rotate through my self defense ammo slowly and make sure it's functioning okay.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My SD FMJ Ammo and practice Ammo is the same in my Hi-Point.

It helps to turn the gun on its side throw the gun forward while firing.
    My method is so intimidating that I don't even have to be a good shot.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    My speer gold dots in my kahr after a while showed major setback. I either shot them or tossed them. The flat tip on the gold dot with the combined very steep angle of my kahr seemed to creat set back very rapidly.

Also I don't unload my handguns. Even if I change up my edc I just leave the others loaded in the safe. My bedside gun always stays loaded in my night stand drawer in a small handgun safe.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I keep my Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range "charged" :D

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Voldemort, I think the trend in thinking is very clear here.

Unless you have a very good reason (and there could be one), it seems most here think you oughta just leave the piece loaded.

-Nate

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Aside from the hazards of loading and unloading, setback can happen. Some calibers are affected more than others, 40 being relatively high pressure is affected more so than 45acp.
    I always keep mine loaded while at home, and keep it on my hip probably 90% of the time at home. Reason? Statistically, 100% of all home invasions happen at home.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When I transfer my CCW, I use a cheapie Uncle Mikes(nylon with clip) from the nightstand drawer, and don't unload. My training always chamber check when removing from the drawer, and on occasion, may swap a spare mag for the carried mag.

When doing maintenance, always separate ammo-mag from firearm, clean and reload. 2-3 months, being loaded, then range fired and new ammo loaded into magazines. Some of my older 10 rd mags stay loaded in range bag for a longer while. In 25+ years have only had one or two mags springs go south. (Average own between 20-30 mags, different calibers for different firearms. Non issue to replace if needed.) Glocks. and 1911A1.

If you don't force a topped mag into a empty gun to drag across the first round retracting slide, seems my open slide lock, then "sling shot" method works for me. I sometimes do a one down round to range fire, never see a problem.
    Good luck.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Voldemort, I think the trend in thinking is very clear here.

Unless you have a very good reason (and there could be one), it seems most here think you oughta just leave the piece loaded.

-Nate

Nate, thanks for the intelligent response, a refreshing change from the many smart a$$ responses one gets when asking a question. My thinking is not to keep firing pin spring under stress for long periods to prevent weakening spring over long term. I dont know, thats why I ask.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My G19 being my EDC has a chambered round at all times, but I do shoot/train with it regularly as well. So different rounds are cycled through.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The FP spring won't "wear out" from being under stress for days/weeks/months.

Please feel confidant in leaving your firearm loaded for long stretches of time.

The more you handle your weapon, the higher the chances of a negligent discharge.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I handle my guns alot, and as such they are downloaded/reloaded alot. I have not seen setback in my Federal HST's yet, but am aware that the problem can/will arise. I only keep my HD/SD handguns and long guns loaded. Range guns and the kid's guns are kept empty and secure until ready to be used. I used to get setback quite a bit in the past, but that seems to have eased as the quality of ammo has increased. YMMV.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . My thinking is not to keep firing pin spring under stress for long periods to prevent weakening spring over long term. I dont know, thats why I ask.

OP, TF is correct. Keeping it loaded with not weaken properly designed and mfg springs. Springs weaken/wear from cycling, NOT from being compressed within their design limits.

South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    Aside from the hazards of loading and unloading, setback can happen. Some calibers are affected more than others, 40 being relatively high pressure is affected more so than 45acp.
    I always keep mine loaded while at home, and keep it on my hip probably 90% of the time at home. Reason? Statistically, 100% of all home invasions happen at home.
    What about sweatpants?? You always wear jeans and belt at home?

Top Bottom