How far do you extend your pistol skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've only been shooting for 4 - 5 months, so I'm shooting anywhere from 4m to 10m, with most shooting done at 6m. I'm trying to get the basics down before moving to further distances.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with shooting at 7-10 yards all the time. I was just curious as to what people were doing these days and from the responses it seems like most of us are fairly even. We usually shoot out to 50, sometimes we get excited and try 100 but only when we get tired of playing with the rifles. I haven't tried a pistol past 100 yards very much but it sounds entertaining! I think 50 is a good distance to reach out to for defensive purposes.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Dunno, to the first white painted support pole at Pops family indoor range 25M/75FT? Longer at New Castle state range., cause you have to, anything longer than that run!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I really don't see the need to practice at close distances, but as has been said, it depends on the handgun. I usually shoot defensive handguns from 15 to 25 yards. I shoot hunting handguns and target guns out to 50 yards, generally, although I've tinkered with metallic silhouette to greater distances. For defensive purposes, I think that drawing from where I keep my handgun, i.e. pocket holster, IWB, OWB or shoulder holster is very important and much overlooked. I usually do that at home with an unloaded handgun.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have shot my SA 1911 45 out to 140 yards, SA 1911 9mm out to 200.
    also I have seen a member of the Army's marksmenship unit shoot a standard issue m9 out 250 when I was training with them

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    I would think it would depends on what you are training for, self defense, 20 yards and under, most gun fights are at close range, I have seen videos for professionals in real shot outs over the hood of a car miss, it sis one thing to punch holes in paper and another to have someone shooting back at you

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Several of the ladies (MIL/SIL's/sister) have trigger discipline issues that show dramatically beyond 15 yards. I have been drilling them this winter with a lazer on the pistol they shoot when I take them to the range. It is obvious how much the gun moves with poor trigger skills.

Maybe I'll send my girlfriend your way, she'd probably listen to a stranger better than she would me :):

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    At Gunsite, we shot standing at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards, kneeling at 15 yards, and prone at 25. There was one exercise where we shot at a steel target standing at 50 yards. After missing several times, I moved up to 35 and got him.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe I'll send my girlfriend your way, she'd probably listen to a stranger better than she would me :):

Maybe. I tend to not coach my wife anymore. She never listened to me any way.....:)

Get a cheap bore laser. Empty the gun. Install the laser after you are sure you have emptied the gun. (I have good reason to repeat this) After you are sure the gun is empty pick a point on the wall and have her put the laser on it. Go through a dry fire. Watch the point (laser) move as she drops the trigger. It is a great teaching tool.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I spend most time within 25 yards. 7-10 at the closest (I am shooting steel) and from their the distance is ever changing on out to about 25 most of the time. But fairly frequently someone always wants to walk on out to 50 or 60 and on out. From there we will run a mag or two for fun. Some are pingers and others no, but its always fun!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunting rigs.............25-100 yards. Some a little farther.
    Defensive usually 25 and under, but do some 50's now and then.
    That 21 ft indoor stuff is boring, my Commander just chews the X away.....the sights suck for 25yds and out though.
    Proly ought to get it cut for a Bomar.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'd like to stretch my G34 out and see how far I can make hits, just for fun I guess. Rifles are fun to shoot out to 325 yards all day, I guess I just like shooting pistols because it's a lot more challenging. Even more so when you get out to 50 yards and beyond.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I shoot twenty to forty yards mainly. Then on out to one fifty on steel targets. I do wrap up a target session with my edc twenty yards and in. Dont get anything out of indoor shooting and can blow the bullseye out of any target. I primarily shoot Ruger six guns and 1911's. Tired of target shooting in general and am looking to take my skills to a higher level this year. May try some match shooting when time permits.

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Our local range only has 10 15 and 25 yard targets so the minimum I'm shooting is 10 yards but it's always fun to shoot the .22s at the 25 yard targets

Top Bottom