How far do you extend your pistol skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Approx. 7 yards at paper targets, mostly.

It cracks me up thinking that some were giving rank beginners advice of 15+ yards back in the day.
    Such a waste of ammo for most beginners.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I practice from 7-15 yrds mostly. I also shoot from 25 yrds and even 125 yrds with my M&P 40c at a full size silhouette. I actually shoot at 125 yrds more than 25. It's the distance from the patio to the range out back. I don't get them all on the steel but it's fun and also a good thing to know just in case.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

It cracks me up thinking that some were giving rank beginners advice of 15+ yards back in the day.
    You couldn't be more wrong. If a beginner is equipped with the fundamentals of shooting, he or she will rise to the challenge. I firmly believe that someone who limits himself to 7 yards will never develop the fundamentals for accurate handgun shooting.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

You couldn't be more wrong. If a beginner is equipped with the fundamentals of shooting, he or she will rise to the challenge. I firmly believe that someone who limits himself to 7 yards will never develop the fundamentals for accurate handgun shooting.

I work with quite a few new shooters. Start them off at 5 yards to work on fundamentals and build their confidence. Then I can move them back or I can give them a smaller target. I do sight in all of my pistols at 15 yards.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I work with quite a few new shooters. Start them off at 5 yards to work on fundamentals and build their confidence. Then I can move them back or I can give them a smaller target. I do sight in all of my pistols at 15 yards.
    I too, have some experience with training new handgun shooters. The biggest mistake most "trainers" make is not imparting some safety, gun handling and basic marksmanship fundamentals before ever stepping foot on the range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have attended many handgun courses. Every one of them cover or review safety. All of the introductory courses demonstrated shooting fundamentals. All of them started the first range drills from 5 yards then moved back or even closer depending on what we were to do.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have attended many handgun courses. Every one of them cover or review safety. All of the introductory courses demonstrated shooting fundamentals. All of them started the first range drills from 5 yards then moved back or even closer depending on what we were to do.
    I only see an advantage to shooting at a close range to start training, if one is learning to draw from a holster and fire in a short time. IMHO not enough emphasis is placed on marksmanship. At 7 yds. and less a handgun shooter should be able to point shoot and consistently hit the center of a man sized silhouette target. Marksmanship fundamentals apply for greater distances. The only way to master the fundamentals of marksmanship is to be challenged at the greater distances. I think it is bass ackwards to teach a shooter speed over accuracy to start.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I too, have some experience with training new handgun shooters. The biggest mistake most "trainers" make is not imparting some safety, gun handling and basic marksmanship fundamentals before ever stepping foot on the range.

Not sure what classes you have been to. No classes I have taught, or attended have went forward without these things.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i not very experienced but i have been practicing at the 50 yard range with a 357 and a 9mm its not to hard to make hits if i get a good trigger press if not i miss by four feet normally is this good practice? i do enjoy the challenge but i have to shoot kinda slow and its a public range so no moving and shooting that and the other range they have is 25 yards and its always packed so hard to use it. anyway my theory is if i can hit at 25 and 50 relatively quick(which i can not yet) i should able to make quick hits at defensive ranges but if im wrong im open to ideas.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Usually finish a handgun range day with a browning buckmark at 100 yards on 2" steel swingers, which unless you've tried it, isn't actually as bad as it sounds.

Would often shoot empty 12 gauge hulls off a railroad tie at 30 yards with the five seven.

Some firearms make it a breeze, others make it feel nearly impossible. Some tall target sights certainly make it a whole world of a lot easier.

I don't really have experience shooting any targets much larger than those mentioned at those ranges, paper is pretty useless with a handgun that far out, never know if you're even close until you go for a jog.

i not very experienced but i have been practicing at the 50 yard range with a 357 and a 9mm its not to hard to make hits if i get a good trigger press if not i miss by four feet normally is this good practice? i do enjoy the challenge but i have to shoot kinda slow and its a public range so no moving and shooting that and the other range they have is 25 yards and its always packed so hard to use it. anyway my theory is if i can hit at 25 and 50 relatively quick(which i can not yet) i should able to make quick hits at defensive ranges but if im wrong im open to ideas.

I'd just warn you that your point of aim might be dramatically different at those ranges, make sure you know where you're hitting regardless of range.
    I have quite a few handguns that shoot 12o'clock at under 25-30yards and dead on or 6o'clock at 30+ yards.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yesterday two guys shot pistols (a 1911 and a Glock 17) at a 12 X 16 inch steel target at a measured distance of 168 yards. They both hit it! (not on the first shot, or second, hah!)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

The secret to all shooting is a good trigger press. It does not matter if you are shooting close or at distance. Doesn't matter if the shot is fast or slow or even if you are moving. Proper trigger control is essential.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    pretty much right in line w most everybody else here ... 3-15yards w belly guns ... 3-25 yards w EDC full size guns ... out to 100 w specialized "fun" guns ... just for fun though , quality "belly" guns are plenty capable of consistent hits WAY out there once u get sight picture in ur head for elevation !!!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is helpful to have a spotter. ;)

That is th trick. Otherwise I want to drop the gun to see were the bullet is impacting. I tried my hand at 220 yards on some pepper poppers one time with a Glock 23. I never did figure out where the bullets landed so that I could estimate how much to hold over (I only tried a couple of shoots) I did see a guy with a Glock 34 hit the larger popper at that range.

Top Bottom