How far do you extend your pistol skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That is th trick. Otherwise I want to drop the gun to see were the bullet is impacting. I tried my hand at 220 yards on some pepper poppers one time with a Glock 23. I never did figure out where the bullets landed so that I could estimate how much to hold over (I only tried a couple of shoots) I did see a guy with a Glock 34 hit the larger popper at that range.
    And that is what IMO makes these type of shots fun, but maybe not practical. We did this at a red dot pistol school. At 100 we got almost everyone to where they could make consistent hits . At 220 though it was a different story. It was taking a lot of time, multiple shots, and someone telling you where your misses were. While I have absolutely no problem with people working this skill, it should not come at the expense of shortchanging more realistic self defense skills and tactics. (If that is your goal).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It is helpful to have a spotter. ;)

I kept asking for help with where I was hitting, but no one near me was seeing any puffs of dust or mud. I just held with the target centered on the top of the front sight, then experimented with how low to hold the rear sight until I hit. I'm sure I had the distance more than once and missed because of a bad trigger press (including the time we kind of thought I hit it, but weren't sure).

It would have been easier if Jerry Miculek's hands had been shooting my gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not sure what classes you have been to. No classes I have taught, or attended have went forward without these things.
    Good to hear that. To clarify, when I posted my comment and mentioned "trainers", I was referring to friends and relatives trying to teach others how to shoot. I have had quite a lot of formal training over the decades and have given training, as well as, competed in many handgun sports. I ain't Brian Zins or Brian Enos, but learned to be pretty fair with a handgun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I kept asking for help with where I was hitting, but no one near me was seeing any puffs of dust or mud. I just held with the target centered on the top of the front sight, then experimented with how low to hold the rear sight until I hit. I'm sure I had the distance more than once and missed because of a bad trigger press (including the time we kind of thought I hit it, but weren't sure).

It would have been easier if Jerry Miculek's hands had been shooting my gun.

I'm not sure both of us didn't connect sooner than we thought we did. There was lots of shooting and steel ringing going on around us.
    Part of the time you were shooting, I was spotting you and seen nothing. Might have been easier to see hits if you were using Jerry's 230gr bullets.:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure both of us didn't connect sooner than we thought we did. There was lots of shooting and steel ringing going on around us.
    Part of the time you were shooting, I was spotting you and seen nothing. Might have been easier to see hits if you were using Jerry's 230gr bullets.:):

Hah! That's it! My boo-litz were too small!

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    depends on what target im shooting. im not the worst or best shot. with my kimber 5 inch 1911 and my sig 226 i can shoot clays or my 4 and 5 inch spinning targets out to around 20 25 yards. sometimes farther. sometimes ill set a old 19in tv out 50 yards and hit it most the time. my small 380's and other small pocket guns i shot them 10 yards at pie plate size targets.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I always go 25 yards for 2 mags every time I'm at the range. Anyone can usually shoot a pretty good group at 25 feet, but going longer will really tell you where you're at with accuracy. I just take a big silhouette target and put 20 rounds in it to gauge how I'm shooting that day. I call it my kill : no kill ratio.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks like most of us agree on what's good for "defense" range shooting and "fun" range shooting. :) Like said already, shoot at the distance you need to so you're prepared for what lies ahead in your life.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I would guess 7-25 yards. If I had my own range it might be different, but most of my handguns are kept under 25 yards.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I do 80% of my pistol shooting between 7-20 yds, and almost all of that right around 10-12 yds.
    Much further than that is typically just for fun, but I am surprised at how accurate MOST modern production handguns are

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've popped deer w iron sighted handguns from 6 ft to 150 yards.
    My abilities (eyes) aint as good as they used to be, so would prefer 75 yards and in.
    But if I could hammer all my deer at 25yds that'd be perfectly fine with me :)

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    What distance is everyone shooting your pistols at these days? From what I see on the "internet" most people are around 7 yards these days. I did see Kyle Defoor's video the other day about shooting at distance, and I also saw Pat Rogers talking about shooting out to 25 yards at least. What's everyone's thoughts on how far you need to be able to make effective hits?
    I believe that if you feel comfortable being proficient at 7 yards then it is good enough. It's all about how safe your side arm and your ability makes you feel.

Top Bottom