How far do you extend your pistol skill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some people shoot a few handguns very well, I shoot a lot of different kinds sort of well.:)

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    What distance is everyone shooting your pistols at these days? From what I see on the "internet" most people are around 7 yards these days. I did see Kyle Defoor's video the other day about shooting at distance, and I also saw Pat Rogers talking about shooting out to 25 yards at least. What's everyone's thoughts on how far you need to be able to make effective hits?
    Depends on for what you train. For Personal Defense 7 to 10 yards is probably plenty. If you go for Target Shooting than I would say 25 yards would be the norm.

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I like to shoot my carry gun at 7-10 yds, which is on the long side for confrontations. For hunting guns I like to practice from 25-100 yds. As someone else posted the further out you get the more proper trigger pull comes into play.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I shoot from about 3 yds to 50 yrds. Test rounds about 10/15 yrds. CCW training about 7/10 yrds. Fun time up to 50 yrds

Pretty much this ^^^^^^^!!! I'll shoot revolver (.357 & .45C) out to 75 yards pretty decently...but I tend to keep my pistols (9 & .45acp) below the 35 yard marker with a lot of time between 15' and 21'!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I agree most encounters will be within 10 yards but I don't see the harm in being proficient out to at least 50 yards! Plus it's fun!

I agree, and if you're proficient at 50 you ought to be pretty darn good in self defense distances without much effort.

I typically shoot at 20 yards, occasionally bringing it in to 7 or 10. What I think is the most fun is stretching it out to 200 yards, but I'm lucky enough to have a spot where I can do that. We can shoot from 200 on in as we please which is nice. After watching a video on youtube of a fellow ringing steel at 300 meters I really want to set up some steel at that distance or farther and see if I can hit it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, and if you're proficient at 50 you ought to be pretty darn good in self defense distances without much effort.

I typically shoot at 20 yards, occasionally bringing it in to 7 or 10. What I think is the most fun is stretching it out to 200 yards, but I'm lucky enough to have a spot where I can do that. We can shoot from 200 on in as we please which is nice. After watching a video on youtube of a fellow ringing steel at 300 meters I really want to set up some steel at that distance or farther and see if I can hit it.

When I pushed my son and SIL out past 25 yards they were struggling at first and a bit whiny. They did not see the point until after they became proficient at those distances and the short stuff is a breeze now.

300 is a lobe in shot.....:)

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I regularly shoot out to 100 yards, and sometimes WAY beyond that, and have found that all my pistols are far more accurate at that range than I would've imagined early in my shooting career. I think a big mental roadblock we can develop is simply not believing we can hit a small target at long range with a handgun. I won't include any claims whatsoever about what my handguns are capable of, but can assure you that yours will strike a man-sized target at dramatically longer ranges than you've likely imagined possible. Shooting at golf balls out around 100 yards with your Glock will likely leave you disappointed, but shooting at a five-gallon bucket (about the size of a grown man's upper torso) will yield a surprising number of hits if you do your part. Of course, you must learn what "your part" consists of and apply that knowledge properly for things to work out.

Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" is a superb book that unravels long-range handgunning and after finally getting a copy many years ago and applying the principles, my shooting at distance soon bordered on black magic. All I can attribute that to is being explained the principles in understandable language and then finally wrapping my head around the possibility that it's more than a little possible. It took surprisingly little ammo to get the hang of, too. Just seeing the basic math and mechanics of such shooting made all the difference with me.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Usually about 20 yards give or take a few yards. I always take my daughter with me and she shoots my .22 rifle, so I like to stay back with her to help her and she can see how to shoot a pistol (and I don't exactly want somebody behind me with access to a gun that may or may not be mad at me:D)

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    When I pushed my son and SIL out past 25 yards they were struggling at first and a bit whiny. They did not see the point until after they became proficient at those distances and the short stuff is a breeze now.

300 is a lobe in shot.....:)

When I'm inside of 20 yards I feel like Im cheating I'm in so close. I really do think most people need to extend their distance a bit and get good at the longer distances so they can substantially improve on the up close stuff. I'm slowly moving my girlfriend further and further back hoping to get her proficient out to at least fifty yards, so far she is doing decent between 20-25 but her trigger control and grip definitely need some work as were making our way back. Not sure If I should move her back in a little or keep letting her miss till she gets it right.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    With my primary carry gun, I focus on 7-10 yard range but always throw in up to 25 yard for the just in case scenario. On something I am just shooting to shoot, I tend to stay around 7 or so.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    My range goes out to 50 yards. Regular practice starting at spitting distance out to 50. Most practice is a sweet spot at 17 yards.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    Ive recently got a handgun after not having one for 20 yrs. Ive been practicing at 15 -25 yds. with a lot of improvement needed. cant wait for weather to break to get back at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I'm inside of 20 yards I feel like Im cheating I'm in so close. I really do think most people need to extend their distance a bit and get good at the longer distances so they can substantially improve on the up close stuff. I'm slowly moving my girlfriend further and further back hoping to get her proficient out to at least fifty yards, so far she is doing decent between 20-25 but her trigger control and grip definitely need some work as were making our way back. Not sure If I should move her back in a little or keep letting her miss till she gets it right.

Several of the ladies (MIL/SIL's/sister) have trigger discipline issues that show dramatically beyond 15 yards. I have been drilling them this winter with a lazer on the pistol they shoot when I take them to the range. It is obvious how much the gun moves with poor trigger skills.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depends on what the intended use of the gun is. Hunting guns require longer distances.

Most of my shooting is 5 to 15 yards. I do move out to 25 quite a bit. Only rarely farther, but I think action pistol will go out as far as 35 yards. Anything farther then that I am looking for a bench or some type of supported position.

I sight my pistols with adjustable sights in at 45-50 feet.

Top Bottom