How does everyone set up their home defense AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A picture I took 6+ years ago. The top rifle is a 16” Colt 6920. It is the minimum allowed by law.

All pictured are rifles, most are SBRs and every one can be suppressed, with the two cans in the picture, from 6 years ago. There are more cans now.

IMG_3590.png

Home defense from in your face distance, to a couple hundred yards. Nothing but red dots in the pictures.

Distance, to me, is what home defense is about. I have 1,000 yard guns, but short of the collapse of civilization, you can’t justify a shot beyond 10-20 yards.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I recently moved and that made me rethink my HD choices. I went from a one story Duplex with a basement with no exterior access to a 2 story with basement that has exterior access. 2 stairwells to deal with now and lots more rooms and hidey holes for an intruder. I changed up from a 16" 5.56 AR and a 18" 12 gauge to a 8" 9mm AR and a 12" Shockwave loaded with Mini-Shells as my primary HD guns. Both are set up with red dots and Streamlight WML's and lots of extra ammo. I don't plan to clear the house if an intruder gets in but to bunker up and call the Calvary. I'm too old to clear the house, so I'll let the people who are trained for it do it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Curious if they make mini shotshells that are good for HD.

I have an over/under SBS with 12-3/4 barrels. It has no choke at all. I haven't pattered it but my guess is it would be all over the place down a short hallway even with flight control stuff.

JoeSig

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2024
    DeMotte, IN

I have an over/under SBS with 12-3/4 barrels. It has no choke at all. I haven't pattered it but my guess is it would be all over the place down a short hallway even with flight control stuff.
    How LETHAL is a 12 Gauge Mini Shell??? (Shockwave 590s vs Human Torso)

^^^Youtube video that may help you (and the OP)

I will reach for my shockwave first, other shotgun second, or P320 third. Running #4 buck in the shockwave. It patterned well at 20ft so it became my castle defender.

I just do not see ARs as being viable for home defense. My 300blk AR with a PEQ, light, Eotech and suppressor may not look as cool to a jury of yuppies.

Edit: I think one of the best "weapons" for home defense is a local lawyer's business card in your wallet who is well versed on defensive firearm use cases. Hand that to the responding officer and respectfully decline to speak because you have just been through a very traumatic event and would like to consult with your lawyer on how to proceed.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.

The Aquila Mini Slug is a 385 gr. (7/8's ounce) slug running 1300 fps according to the Aguila website. That's on par with a .44 Magnum when I did the math awhile back. I'm sure I'm not getting that out of my Shockwave, but I guarantee you it's lethal. My Shockwave patterns very well with both the Aquila Mini Slug and Hornady Critical Defense @ 25 yards. It really surprised me how well a 14" barrel with IC choke did.
    Aguila Mini Slugs @ 25 yards.jpgHornady CD 00 Buck, 25 yards.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Honestly this stuff is the ticket and at only 1145fps it’s a light recoiling load IMHO

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don’t use my AT’s as a primary home defense platform however I have one set up with a Vikings Tactics light mount and Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Ootic (it works and was similar to the M68 I ran and has been great through about 10,000 rounds)

Then I have a second one that is straight up stock. Removable carry handle A2 Irons nothing special

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The Aquila Mini Slug is a 385 gr. (7/8's ounce) slug running 1300 fps according to the Aguila website. That's on par with a .44 Magnum when I did the math awhile back. I'm sure I'm not getting that out of my Shockwave, but I guarantee you it's lethal. My Shockwave patterns very well with both the Aquila Mini Slug and Hornady Critical Defense @ 25 yards. It really surprised me how well a 14" barrel with IC choke did.
    View attachment 380011View attachment 380012
    Seeing as we're talking shotguns in a home defense AR thread... and coming up with .44 magnum ballistics... Why not throw a .44 mag lever gun into the mix?
    Not too awful long, 10 rd capacity, definitely lethal, fast shooting, low recoil, can have a red dot & light, can be a take-down for travel. (HD in the hotel room)

IMG_0310 (2).JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Seeing as we're talking shotguns in a home defense AR thread... and coming up with .44 magnum ballistics... Why not throw a .44 mag lever gun into the mix?
    Not too awful long, 10 rd capacity, definitely lethal, fast shooting, low recoil, can have a red dot & light, can be a take-down for travel. (HD in the hotel room)

View attachment 380242

View attachment 380243
    Part of me cringes, part of me loves it.

Well done sir!

camaroz2808

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    A picture I took 6+ years ago. The top rifle is a 16” Colt 6920. It is the minimum allowed by law.

All pictured are rifles, most are SBRs and every one can be suppressed, with the two cans in the picture, from 6 years ago. There are more cans now.

View attachment 379819

Home defense from in your face distance, to a couple hundred yards. Nothing but red dots in the pictures.

Distance, to me, is what home defense is about. I have 1,000 yard guns, but short of the collapse of civilization, you can’t justify a shot beyond 10-20 yards.
    Using entry red dots, like trs-25, tra-26, and Romeo 5 being the most expensive. They've worked well with trs-25 having the highest round count 3+k, and still like new. I've been looking at higher end ARs and optics, but just don't know if they're worth it. What you noticed a difference?

Top Bottom