How does everyone set up their home defense AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have grandkids that live with me so would either use a handgun or if I’m feeling really surgical my 1301……. I would like to play with those hornets best rounds…. Interesting!!

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    While I was joking around, it wasn’t meant to be at your expense. It’s amazing what technology can do, glad it’s working for you!

In reference to the topic at hand, most of my PDWs/rifles are set up similarly, but my home defense gun tends to be whatever SBR I’m shooting the most at the time… currently this one:

IMG_4457.jpeg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    While I was joking around, it wasn’t meant to be at your expense. It’s amazing what technology can do, glad it’s working for you!

In reference to the topic at hand, most of my PDWs/rifles are set up similarly, but my home defense gun tends to be whatever SBR I’m shooting the most at the time… currently this one:

View attachment 378698
    No expense or offense taken, it’s just something that has altered my world. I took some adjustments well a lot of adjustment and getting used to.

Does the longer mag effect handling?

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    No expense or offense taken, it’s just something that has altered my world. I took some adjustments well a lot of adjustment and getting used to.

Does the longer mag effect handling?
    No, I don’t think so. I haven’t measured, but it’s not much longer than a 30 round AR mag. Plus with it having roughly a 9” barrel, the gun does feel a little better balanced than a rifle with a can, which helps with handling.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Dont forget to go shorter you either have to SBR it and get a tax stamp, or get an AR Pistol instead*. But a pistol as we have seen is fraught with the peril of the ATF's whims.

*once the receiver is a rifle on a 4473, its ALWAYS a rifle. A receiver transferred as just a receiver or as a pistol config can switch to a rifle and back. But if it started its life as a rifle, its permanent. (unless you SBR it)
    Well there are pinned and welded 14.5s out there sold from the factory that way.

My home defense AR

1725811347370.jpeg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well there are pinned and welded 14.5s out there sold from the factory that way.

My home defense AR
    You are correct. But for this discussion it’s irrelevant. There is no point on changing out a 16” barrel with a pinned and welded shorty that still has the same OAL to remain legal.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You are correct. But for this discussion it’s irrelevant. There is no point on changing out a 16” barrel with a pinned and welded shorty that still has the same OAL to remain legal.
    Well that is just the thing. Unless you have an 16 inch AR with just a crowned barrel, the threaded 16 inch barrel will always be longer then 16 inches depending on what muzzle device you running. The standard A2 adds about an inch, so most civilian carbines are somewhere in the 17+ inches range. (Again it depends on what you run)

This compared to the 14.5 with a pinned and welded extended A2 to bring it to exactly 16.1 inches

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well that is just the thing. Unless you have an 16 inch AR with just a crowned barrel, the threaded 16 inch barrel will always be longer then 16 inches depending on what muzzle device you running. The standard A2 adds about an inch, so most civilian carbines are somewhere in the 17+ inches range. (Again it depends on what you run)

This compared to the 14.5 with a pinned and welded extended A2 to bring it to exactly 16.1 inches
    So all that money and effort to save a whopping 1 inch.

Sounds worth it. :rolleyes:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I currently rock a 9mm suppressed nightstand pistol with a WML and a 500 lumen flashlight in the drawer with 19+1 and a spare 19 next to it and a 18.5” Mossberg 500 also with a WML. AR is in the safe and unless there is a riot that I hear coming not likely to come out but I have a rehearsed plan to fight my way to the safe if necessary. I am considering a 9mm PDW I can suppress to gain some accuracy and capacity and if it were in the budget an M4 properly kitted out.

Top Bottom