How does everyone set up their home defense AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    I would lean towards a pistol these days, but I still have a few rifles I built out for home defense. Shotguns are also a good option. Last year I went ahead and built out a “home defense pistol” scorpion evo 3 that fits in my nightstand drawer. Not sure I would recommend tho. The scorpion is cool and a pretty decent pistol after you replace pretty much everything that came on it from the factory. I would post a picture but with all the ABC agency nonsense these days, I better not. Who knows it might be good today but not tomorrow. In which case I would suffer yet another tragic kayak fire.

Ultimately it’s personal preference on what attachments you want on there. There’s no right or wrong answer. (Unless it’s a Hi-Point in which case the answer is always no) the best attachment you can have is the one on your shoulders. Train and then train some more your home defense firearm is only as good as you are.

Last edited:

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    I believe in the merits of both AR and shotguns for home defense. My first choice is a shotgun, with the AR as a backup. With the shotgun I don't think the noise is the factor, but the ability to send 9 balls down a hallway at once and not having to aim precisely is the advantage. I also like the advantage of lots of led and easy reloads with the AR, but the need to aim and danger of passing through walls and going far is why I consider it the backup.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really keep it simple anymore:
    -16” barrel minimum with a mid-length gas system preferred. It’s not a machine gun, so a lighter barrel profile is a huge plus.
    -Flash hider > Muzzle brake. Suppressors are nice because shooting in doors or in a vehicle is stupid loud.
    -Quality red dot with backup irons
    -Quality white light, with the focus on Candela over lumens
    -Simple sling tied on to keep it quite (Q G-Sling is my current pick)
    -A free float rail isn’t a must, because the accuracy difference is minimal in that role and I’m not running a laser aiming device. If I do run a rail, I want it really light weight. And if it’s lightweight, it needs to be good quality to be rigid and ok with hard use

If I need a AR for a specific purpose, I build it for that (ie Night Vision, SBR. SPR, etc…..)

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You are correct, but I unfortunately cannot afford to stack 77gr match ammo like I can 55gr ammo. Inside of 50 yards I am probably using a shotgun regardless
    Bullet selection counts with EVERY weapon... same as shot selection does in a shotgun. The only thing you really lose with a SBR or pistol sized AR is (as been said) range. Even M193 is above fragmentation velocity out of my 11.5" SBR for 100 yds or so. As a defensive weapon to be used in my own home, that's plenty lethal enough to stop anyone coming in with ill intent.

Yes, I have other ARs with longer barrels. Yes, I have other types of ammo.
    Point is, if you have an AR pistol, or SBR, and some e-cheepo 193... you can easily stop bad guys at home defensive distances.

I'll not debate the devastating stopping power of a shotgun either...
    They are that.

As far as the rifle/shotgun debate my advice is this...
    Use what weapon you are best with.
    Be it rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
    What can you deliver fast, accurate hits with best.
    Most times... for most people... it's gonna be in that order.
    Rifle first... then shotgun... then handgun.
    That's the order it is to learn to shoot well, and shoot well fast.

The reason I chimed in to this thread, to tout the rife is twofold...
    1. A rifle is what was asked about.
    2. A rifle is what I use, because that's what I'm best with, and I know the most about.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I believe in the merits of both AR and shotguns for home defense. My first choice is a shotgun, with the AR as a backup. With the shotgun I don't think the noise is the factor, but the ability to send 9 balls down a hallway at once and not having to aim precisely is the advantage. I also like the advantage of lots of led and easy reloads with the AR, but the need to aim and danger of passing through walls and going far is why I consider it the backup.
    Think again... A shotgun isn't magic.
    Besides, you are responsible for every bullet, (or pellet) you fire.
    You need to know where they are going.
    Don't think for a second 00 Buck won't zip through drywall into a kid's bedroom.
    You, my friend, need some training.
    A LOT of training.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Don't think for a second 00 Buck won't zip through drywall into a kid's bedroom.
    A LOT of training.
    This ^^^
    My first choice is a shotgun, with the AR as a backup. With the shotgun I don't think the noise is the factor, but the ability to send 9 balls down a hallway at once and not having to aim precisely is the advantage. I also like the advantage of lots of led and easy reloads with the AR, but the need to aim and danger of passing through walls and going far is why I consider it the backup.

My 18.5” Mossberg 500 is loaded with frangible #4 buck. At 20 yards (longest sightline in my house) my pattern is about 1 foot. I also carry a few rounds of 3” 00 buck in my shell carrier for reloads if needed and it patterns only a little larger. Point is YES YOU DO NEED TO Aim with a shotgun, its easier to moss than most folks who have not trained with one realize. At 12’ my patterns are less than 2” wide.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    This ^^^

My 18.5” Mossberg 500 is loaded with frangible #4 buck. At 20 yards (longest sightline in my house) my pattern is about 1 foot. I also carry a few rounds of 3” 00 buck in my shell carrier for reloads if needed and it patterns only a little larger. Point is YES YOU DO NEED TO Aim with a shotgun, its easier to moss than most folks who have not trained with one realize. At 12’ my patterns are less than 2” wide.

A LOT of training.
    Talk about twisting words.....
    Never said wasn't responsible for every thing that comes out of the end of the gun
    Never said shotgun pellets wouldn't go through drywall
    Never said you don't aim a shotgun(hence precisely in my statement), but no one can argue that it isn't easier to get on target with a shotgun down a hallway or into a room and have a better chance of hitting your target than with a rifle.
    And I don't assume a person's training level, but would definitely be willing to bet my next paycheck that I have had more firearm training than 90% of the population.
    But I also see that there are people on this forum that just like to apparently make themselves feel better by trying to put other people down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Talk about twisting words.....
    Never said wasn't responsible for every thing that comes out of the end of the gun
    Never said shotgun pellets wouldn't go through drywall
    Never said you don't aim a shotgun(hence precisely in my statement), but no one can argue that it isn't easier to get on target with a shotgun down a hallway or into a room and have a better chance of hitting your target than with a rifle.
    And I don't assume a person's training level, but would definitely be willing to bet my next paycheck that I have had more firearm training than 90% of the population.
    But I also see that there are people on this forum that just like to apparently make themselves feel better by trying to put other people down.
    Dont take suggestions and assumptions too seriously here. You kinda need thick skin to survive here.

If you cant say "whatever, random internet stranger." you risk burning out.

Just my .02 from a mod that has seen LOTS of meltdowns because they take this place too seriously.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Born2vette mentions what I believe is a, maybe THE, most important and often overlooked aspect of a home defense weapon. Range. What's the physically longest shot you could take inside your home? Then consider what's the most likely shot you might have to take. My distances are, longest 60' and most likely 20' or less. 60' would be from the west end of the kitchen, through the living room, down the hall, to est end of the mancave. 20' would be across the living room or master bedroom. Our "night guns" are handguns. One with a Streamlight, one with a laser. Both 9mm. They are guns we shoot well and often. We're not going to be mounting the castle walls to drive off a marauding horde. We also have wireless intruder detectors............we call 'em dogs.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    I have several weapon types for home defense, pistol shotgun and rifle. Choose as situation warrants. Headset electronic amplified hear pro on the headboard so it's handy. Great for hearing the bumps in the night as well as preserve hearing.

AR is a pistol with 10.5" bbl and SB2 brace. Yes, less velocity but the bullet performance issues are ones at distance, not up close. If you take a shot beyond 50 yards in an HD scenario you probably got some 'splainin to do.

Muzzle has a KAK flash can to direct the blast at the bad guy and away from shooter. Magpul MOE forearm with Hogue grip. Front sight mounted rail for weapon light, remote switch in a Magpul mount on forearm. Sig Romeo 5 red dot. Magpul BUIS rear sight. Polished Anderson FCG. Rest is box stock.

Simple, gets the job done and inexpensive enough to not worry about it being in evidence for years. Defensible performance mods to enhance target ID at night and increase accuracy so no collateral damage. Small and easy to maneuver while maintaining full rifle power.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom