How do you store your defensive semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    My defense pistol of the day is always loaded with one chambered and either on me or on the night stand. At the end of the day, I kiss it goodnight and snuggle with it for at least 45 min while I watch adult swim.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have 4 kids in the house ranging in age from 5 yrs to 9 yrs. All of my defensive guns are loaded and accessible. My kids dont touch my guns unless I am there and give them permission. My EDC is either on my body, or within arms reach. I usually have one in the nightstand too (loaded).

If something happens, I dont want to run to the safe and unlock it to defend myself. If we have guests over with smaller children who dont know how to treat firearms, I will put them away, except for the one I am carrying. Extra ammo/mags are always ready too.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Im curious to know how do you guys store the handgun(s) that you use for home defense.Particularly your semi-auto pistol(s).
    First of all do you keep it locked in a safe or just stored in a closet or drawer?
    Do you keep it loaded?
    Both magazine full and one in the chamber?
    Just the magazine full and the chamber empty?
    A magazine ready to go next to the empty gun?
    Maybe you have some kind of lock on the gun itself?
    Anything else?

I know some of you carry your handgun when you are at home.I just want to know how you store it when its not on your person.Like when you go to bed (I know some probably sleep with their holster on :rolleyes:).

I personnaly keep it locked in a safe (to be sure that non-authorized people cannot get to it, both burglars and visitors) and with the magazine full inside the gun but the chamber empty for extra safety.
    It doesnt take much to rack the slide and I dont think that the noise it makes it a problem.

Thanks for your answers. :yesway:

If you have 10 seconds or less to respond, are you going to be ready? I feel if your primary home defense weapon is locked in a safe, a box or a closet, you won't have time to respond and likely the BG will win the battle. It is likely you will have a few more seconds to respond but what if?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The night-sights on my Glock watch me sleep...causes weird dreams about green-eyed monsters sometimes, but I'm cool with that; because I'm always armed in those dreams, too.

One in the pipe, 10 in the mag, G17 sitting next to it with 14 in the mag, 1 in the pipe. Mossberg Cruiser leaned against the gun cabinet loaded with 5 Rhodesian Jungle shells.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If its not on my person its within 10' loaded mag and 1 in the chamber.
    At night its loaded and on the nightstand. If its not loaded or locked up you might as well not have a gun for protection

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I only get my kids 2 days a week, so when they are not there, .40 and .45 in top drawer next to the bed. Neither are chambered. If a bg breaks into my house my 2 rotties will give me plenty of warning and plenty of time to rack the slide. IF they even need my help.

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    I put it in the safe at night. I keep it loaded with one in the chamber, and the tac light on it. I usually only put the tac light on at night. But I always have the key on me and it only takes a few moments to get to it and have it out and ready.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    At my new residence, if somebody breaks in in the middle of the night, they are screwed. The only way to reach me is to come straight towards me up a steep, narrow staircase; a body or two would clog that pretty well.

I'm not too worried about somebody breaking in, though; doors are secure, windows are all a decent distance off the ground, and the neighborhood isn't too bad.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Neighborhood has little to nothing to do with in any more unfortunately

At my new residence, if somebody breaks in in the middle of the night, they are screwed. The only way to reach me is to come straight towards me up a steep, narrow staircase; a body or two would clog that pretty well.

I'm not too worried about somebody breaking in, though; doors are secure, windows are all a decent distance off the ground, and the neighborhood isn't too bad.

Glocker39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    When I am at home, it is loaded ,with one in the pipe, and within reach.
    When I leave it is on me, unless I am going somewhere I can not carry, then it gets put in the safe.

Top Bottom