How do you store your defensive semi-auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I keep my carry pistol with a full magazine and 1 in the chamber (G21, no safety). My AR is kept in condition 1, or magazine inserted, round chambered, on safe. Keeping loaded weapons around the house is a benefit of not having kids, I guess. Follow the weapons safety rules and you shoudn't have a problem.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    At night, the EDC is hung by one of the magnetic "holsters" in a "secure onsite location" in the bedroom. Just close enough for quick access, but far away enough that either my wife or I will have a clear head about ourselves if we need to use it. (Oh sure, she has her own EDC, but we seem to use mine for nitetime use.)
    Of course, if the grandaughter is visiting overnite, we go to plan "B". ;)

During the day, it's either on my person, or(rarely) locked in the lock box in a holster, loaded and partying with 3 extra full mags.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Gunvault

Full magazine with one in the pipe, locked and loaded. TLR-1 light.
    (also have two german shepherds unlocked and ready to unload).

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    In the holster 24\7 always loaded chamber and mag"s", no kids and wife is great\safe shot. In holster in car, on person, or besides bed.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I think its very dangerous to keep a gun loaded or not where you think its hidden from kids.Kids can find anything.That's why so many accidents happend.Because gun owners thought that "kids would never find the gun".
    Also it takes me less than 4 seconds (I timed it) to open my safe, grab the gun and rack the slide.Not 15 seconds.
    I dont want to come home and find my gun in the hands of a bad guy, its why its locked in a safe.I dont want kids or anyone who visits my home to get access to my gun.
    I rather lose 4 seconds while I open my safe rather than having a kid shot himself with my own gun or someone shot me or my wife with my own gun.
    I also sometimes keep the gun loaded next to me but if im away from the gun then its locked.
    Not being critical, but:
    Let me agitate your vegas nerve at 2 a.m. in the morning with a life threatening situation such as your door being crashed through. If you don't pass out from the sudden burst of excessive adrenaline, crap your pants, or lose control of some other bodily function, then we can check the dexterity of those pointers! And all of those things do actually happen, ask a cop who has been involved in a police action shooting if anyone they worked with has ever poo'd in their pants or urinated on themselves during these situations. Bottom line, you have no idea what your body will do in this situation until it happens!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Now on those 4 seconds "Flash Gordon" I bet you did this while you're fully awake and have your factions about you, heck you should be able to do it blind folded with one hand tied behind your back in that time. You will not be able to do that coming out of a deep sleep.

I can attest that waking up in the middle of the night with a BG in the house, can be rather disorienting.

Not taking sides here, just sayin!:D

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Home defence pistol stays in a GunVault with mag inserted but no round chambered. Thats the one the wife is most accurate with. There is never a round chambered in the home pistol because in the off chance that my son should mess (which he wont) with and get the gunvault open there is no chance he could rack the slide (he wont touch the gun anyway). At night the LCP joins it but the LCP is always chambered.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I keep a Glock 26 on the night stand 11+1'd on my side. Wife's side has an AK under the bed loaded but not chambered. We have no kids, and would probably adapt a different arrangement if we did, but this is what we do for now.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not being critical, but:
    Let me agitate your vegas nerve at 2 a.m. in the morning with a life threatening situation such as your door being crashed through. If you don't pass out from the sudden burst of excessive adrenaline, crap your pants, or lose control of some other bodily function, then we can check the dexterity of those pointers! And all of those things do actually happen, ask a cop who has been involved in a police action shooting if anyone they worked with has ever poo'd in their pants or urinated on themselves during these situations. Bottom line, you have no idea what your body will do in this situation until it happens!

This is my exact point, anybody who thinks that they are going to wake up from a light or even deep sleep and perform the following in 4 seconds

Wake up.
    Gather yourself enough to open a safe.
    Grab your defensive weapon and pull it out of said safe.
    Rack the slide.
    Focus on the BG

Is doing nothing but fooling themselves.

I'd bet it be very hard to do that in 15 seconds, heck I'd almost bet that if they had it laying on their chest that they could not do it in 4 seconds, because you'll waste at least 3 seconds during the WTF/WTH is going on mental awaking of the brain.

I'm all for safety in the house, but I'm not taking the risk of trying to wake up and do all of that in the middle of the night.

I can reach my defensive handgun from where I sleep, it can not be seen and I'm sure as heck not going to have a empty chamber because in the middle of all the excitement, I don't want a round not chambering right and getting misfed and having to do a clearing drill all while taking a chance of having the :poop: shot out of me.

I just don't want to read something in the paper or the 11 pm newscast like the following"

"Homeowner shot by intruders, with hand still in safe holding onto his gun" More on this breaking story after this commercial break from our sponsors.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is my exact point, anybody who thinks that they are going to wake up from a light or even deep sleep and perform the following in 4 seconds

Wake up.
    Gather yourself enough to open a safe.
    Grab your defensive weapon and pull it out of said safe.
    Rack the slide.
    Focus on the BG

Is doing nothing but fooling themselves.

I'd bet it be very hard to do that in 15 seconds, heck I'd almost bet that if they had it laying on their chest that they could not do it in 4 seconds, because you'll waste at least 3 seconds during the WTF/WTH is going on mental awaking of the brain.

I'm all for safety in the house, but I'm not taking the risk of trying to wake up and do all of that in the middle of the night.

I can reach my defensive handgun from where I sleep, it can not be seen and I'm sure as heck not going to have a empty chamber because in the middle of all the excitement, I don't want a round not chambering right and getting misfed and having to do a clearing drill all while taking a chance of having the :poop: shot out of me.

I just don't want to read something in the paper or the 11 pm newscast like the following"

"Homeowner shot by intruders, with hand still in safe holding onto his gun" More on this breaking story after this commercial break from our sponsors.

I think you missed my point or I wasnt clear enough.
    I didnt say that I keep my gun in my safe when I go to bed.
    I keep it locked in a safe when im not around the gun.Like if im in another room or outside the house.
    But locked or not it doesnt change much to the time you will take to react.
    I know how I react in a situation where you have to wake up in the middle of the night.It's not just a guess, that happend to me before.
    Someone was trying to break my door at 3am when I was deep asleep.
    I can tell you that I woke up and gathered myself in a couple of seconds.
    In that situation you dont stay half asleep for like 15 seconds wondering what's going on.At least I know it doesnt happen to me.
    In that situation you feel like you have been awake all day drinking coffee.
    In a matter of a few seconds I was at 100% with a light and a weapon checking the door and clearing rooms one by one to make sure nobody got inside the house.
    I can tell you that its the guy in the other side of the door who pooped his pants and left scared.
    Even if I kept my gun in a safe when I go to sleep I know (not just a guess) that I could get to it in a few seconds even in the middle of the night.
    But I know not all individuals will react the same to the same situation.
    Even if you sleep with your loaded gun in your hand you may be scared to death and freeze when something happens or just take a very long time to do anything.
    Until you live it you dont know how you will react.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Hmm...this is turning Into a variant of the age old game of "you haven't seen what I've seen, man." :)

But edc glock with light are in bed, condition 3.
    I'm comfortable with the location but have been considering moving to the 1911 for it manual safety for condition 1, outside a holster...we'll see.

JimInLaf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    I keep mine on my night stand fully loaded with one in the chamber when I sleep. I have a 160 lumen light and laser on it. I also keep a loaded 12 gauge in the bedroom. BTW, I am the only person in my house.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sylvain, I'm going to do you a favor. You NEED to consider taking a pistol self defense class. And I recommend ACT, who are INGO site advertisers.

You should get ahold of coach and rhino.

I promise you, they will change the way you think and see things.
    Trust me on this.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I keep mine on my night stand fully loaded with one in the chamber when I sleep. I have a 160 lumen light and laser on it. I also keep a loaded 12 gauge in the bedroom. BTW, I am the only person in my house.

Just curious what do you keep your shotgun loaded with?

I have seen people using anything from birdshots to slugs.
    I dont want to start a debate on what's the best load for home defense just curious what do u use. :)

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    All of my long guns are in my BIG safe, with all of my Ammo. But I keep a small safe next to my bed with a 4 digit code, I keep my .45 and my wife keeps her 9MM in it also. I have two girls 8 and 10 , so I never keep one in the pipe, just in case. It's not them I worry about they have been taught to never touch my guns, but they have friends over alot, and I dont want them to even see my guns out in the open. I dont want to deal with the parents if their kids tell them they saw a loaded gun at my house.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom